HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What attractant is more important during the rut?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/300341-what-attractant-more-important-during-rut.html)

burlyman 08-12-2009 11:43 AM

What attractant is more important during the rut??

I was having a debate with a friend about attractant scents to use at the start of the rut. we live in new york and the rut starts about the exact same time as bow season...2nd week in oct. i say that doe urine/estrus/drips will be a bucks first concern. he says that food attractants like acorn/apple/corn scents will draw bucks in. who is right? can you use both near your stand? thanks!!

bearklr 08-12-2009 11:55 AM

In the heat of the rut I've had my best success with doe estrous. When the big boys are looking for some tail it's the only thing on their mind. Think of it this way. If your wife walked out of the bedroom wearing nothing but 6 square inches of silk just looking at you and motioning for you to come in with her finger do you think you'd stop by the fridge for a piece of pizza ?!?!?

GMMAT 08-12-2009 12:14 PM

Hard to argue with that (disclaimer....I haven't seen all of your wives, though).:)

burlyman 08-12-2009 02:32 PM

ha that is very true...ok..bonus question....would using both at the same time be a good idea? for example...hang a few swabs of doe urine from some branches..AND also pour a few piles of acorn rage near my stand? would this be a good idea or is this putting out too many scents/signals which would make the buck extra cautious??? thanks!!!

hardcorehunter 08-12-2009 02:45 PM

None is the best

chris2216 08-12-2009 03:03 PM

I have always had good results with doe in heat. Back in the day it was Indian bucklure and Davey Brackens. I ,100% of the time, use a drag rag in the rut and hang scent bombs. I think the food attractents work but for my money I am going with the doe in heat during the rut. I have freinds that put it out from day one in the bow season. I am not sure I would go that far. I guess this may be one of those things that could be debated for days but I don't think the big bucks even eat much when the does are hot. The are looking to get lucky and fight and that is about it.

GMMAT 08-12-2009 03:12 PM

Well look at it this way.....

If the acorn rage will attract does in......then you're golden. You can't get any better than LIVE bait.

BUCKMARK 08-12-2009 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearklr (Post 3406282)
In the heat of the rut I've had my best success with doe estrous. When the big boys are looking for some tail it's the only thing on their mind. Think of it this way. If your wife walked out of the bedroom wearing nothing but 6 square inches of silk just looking at you and motioning for you to come in with her finger do you think you'd stop by the fridge for a piece of pizza ?!?!?

What kinda pizza we talking about...:D

fishinty 08-12-2009 04:56 PM

It varies , sometimes the bucks like the estrus urine , then again acorn,apple ,and corn attractants do work very well any time of the year .

mohunter82 08-12-2009 06:44 PM

if your in the heat of the rut. you will never know what is gonna work. bucks are traveling way to much looking for willing females. an estrus scent will help maybe slow them down. but i can gaurantee you food is the last thing on their mind during the rut. some bucks will not eat hardly at all during the rut.