Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Middle-class bowhunter! >

Middle-class bowhunter!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Middle-class bowhunter!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a sucker for a real buy & I go looking after Deer Season. I bought 2 ,15' ladder stands last year-reg. $125.00 for $55 ea.
I bought 2 hang ons for 25$ reg. $75 ea.. I bought 3 dz. Easton Aluminum Arrows for $20 dz. normally $50 & Broadheads 3 for $3 normally $15 & half Dz. reversable insulated Camo/orange Vests normally $25 for $4 ea.. My favorite Insulated hunting vest is a $45 one I got for $8.
Now I gave 2 stands to my 2 kids that Bowhunt & both Arrows & Broadheads (Rocky Mtns). I gave my Daughter her 1st Compound when she wanted to start deer Hunting-It was a Bear that was perfect for her-normally $135 (I think) & I got it on sale for $90.
Actually, I have much more than I can ever use BUT with A Daughter, Son & son-in-law Bowhunting & a 10 yr. old G-son starting I just keep them in mind.
I enjoy doing for my family. I'm not rich but fortunate to be able to do things for them.
I like taking them Bowhunting on trips they would never manage on their own. My son has been Caribou Hunting with me in Quebec, Son & Son-in-law out of state Deer, Hog Bowhunts-I paid the tab & sometime this fall my Daughter is going on a Buffalo Bowhunt that I arranged-my treat. I am hoping to take my G-son on some type hunt also-depends how school goes.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tf
I just want to share with you guys an experience I recently had and hope others out there will still maintain confidence despite what others say or think. I was told by a "friend" that unless you owned a top end bow, etc. you were wasting time & money. Of course money is no object to him so he has the "best". I've had to settle for a"cheaper" bow (Diamond Rapture), but let me tell you this, without question, I can out shoot him day in and day out. He shoots the Hoyt A-max, great bow, but only gains feet per sec. on me, not accuracy. I find it funny that guys think if they throw a lot of money at something then they will be good at it. I practice almost everyday, and he "hangs out" at the bow shop and shoots maybe a half dozen arrows a couple of times a week. So for all you middle class family guys , don't be intimidated by some big shot rich guy, with todays modern equipment you can perform as well as any other archer if you work at it. Thanks. I just needed to blow off some steam, sorry.

You mean my high end equipment wont help me?????!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN IT!!!! I just bought a Realtree Road trips T-shirt cause Michael Waddell told me that I could wear the shirt and hunt like him. WHAT THE HELL??!! I thought i would shoot a booner on opening day if i just wore the shirt. now im pissed!!!

seriously though, Maybe your rich friend can loan you his ATV when you shoot you inferior bow and kill a P&Y deer. At least then he will be useful. lol happy hunting
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya brotha. I have a lower end bow, PSE beast. I practice almost everyday and do well in the field. Sure I would like a better bow at some point, but a kill is a kill and it doesn't matter how much your bow costs, its the practice at the field that will pay off in the end.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tf
I just want to share with you guys an experience I recently had and hope others out there will still maintain confidence despite what others say or think. I was told by a "friend" that unless you owned a top end bow, etc. you were wasting time & money. Of course money is no object to him so he has the "best". I've had to settle for a"cheaper" bow (Diamond Rapture), but let me tell you this, without question, I can out shoot him day in and day out. He shoots the Hoyt A-max, great bow, but only gains feet per sec. on me, not accuracy. I find it funny that guys think if they throw a lot of money at something then they will be good at it. I practice almost everyday, and he "hangs out" at the bow shop and shoots maybe a half dozen arrows a couple of times a week. So for all you middle class family guys , don't be intimidated by some big shot rich guy, with todays modern equipment you can perform as well as any other archer if you work at it. Thanks. I just needed to blow off some steam, sorry.
Same bow I have. Great shooting bow for me. I got it 2 years ago for christmas (this christmas being the third year) and have robin hooded 2 arrows already and have broken many nocks. I love it. The other day I was shooting it and I was shooting goods groups at 40 yards and that is quite the distant for that bow. A bow cant shoot by itself... All the talent is in the shooter.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM

was watching a hunting show a bit ago. I don`t remember his name but he was 2 animals away from a north american slam. He was shooting an old i [think] pse, the sights were the old brass pins with the plastic nobs. an old fall away rest, and no camo. he had just shot a yukon moose.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy hanging at the bow shop all day is usually the one that doesn't have a life. They are the ones that the shop owners dred when they come in. I bet he drives a really nice truck, has a nice bow but lives in an outhouse and doesn't have a pot to pee in. Ignore the hillbilly and sew some sleeves on his shirt for him.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a cheap bow (2001 Browning Tornado) because I am basically cheap but I shoot it well and it has never let me down. I have a long draw length and am somewhat limited by what I can shoot and I guess I have just never been taken in by the hype over some of the newer, expensive bows but that's just me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ahunter55
I owned/operated 2 Archery shop/Lanes for many years & I shot middle of the road Bows because thats what the majority of my customers could afford. I posted many a HIGH end score in a variety of competitions, indoor & out. 560 out of 560 Field rounds & Indoor 300s. I also managed plenty of Biggame with my middle of the road tackle. I no longer compete but the last 5 years I have taken Whitetails, wild Hogs, Elk, Buffalo, & several others with my Darton I bought from Cabelas bargain cave for $99.00.
Remember this though-shoot the BEST arrow you can afford.

Pic is a Buck I took with my $90 Darton SL50 in 1982.
That is a GREAT picture!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to make those smart butts put their money where their mouth is. I will ask if they would like to put a little money on it, start with the target at 65 yard, and move back 10 yards each shot. That usually shuts them up!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Spike

Up until last year I was still shooting my old Alpine bow that I bought brand new in 92 for $200.00. I shot all the time and use to shoot at a tennis ball hanging from the clothesline all the time. Last year I finally broke down and bought my buddies used Mathewes outback since he was buying the new DXT at that time. I like the bow and i guess it shoots good enought( still shooting tennis balls ), but i will miss that old bow. Still haven't bloodied up anyhting with the new bow yet since most of the hunting I have done has been with rifle, but I am going to try to stick one this year with it and get the stink off it once and for all. Guess i will not be truly happy with it until I do. Don't waste all that money on the top of the line gear just buy the best you can afford and shoot it alot and often. By the way I shoot my buddies old bow better than he shoots his new one. I think he is upset he sold it to me! He He He!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.