Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fall food plot question >

Fall food plot question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fall food plot question

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fall food plot question

Hey guys, I just wanted to pick your brains for some info real quick. I live in michigan and our opener is October 1st and I wanted to plant a small food plot but am uncertain as to when I should put the seends in the ground. I was thinking within 1-3 weeks or so. But if you veteran food plotters out there can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on what you are planting....Most of your brassica and turnip type plots need to be planted now to soon to give them time to grow prior to 1st frost. You still have some time for the oat/wheat type plots. I'm not planting my cold forage type oats and clover plot for a couple more weeks. Most of the seeds on the market from the comm. places(biologic, evolved, etc) will have planting guidelines. I get most of my seed from the local coop.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Spike

If planting small plots- be careful with the Brassicas- when they mature they will disappear very quick- you will have a small dirt patch..that's not that attractive to critters. cross it up with some wheat, oats and you can go all season.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea definitely mix it up. like they said if you stick with one type it will eventually fade out and then you have to try and play catch up.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

i would plant now. i planted mine 2 weeks ago. i put soybeans and brassicas the beans get them coming in till the frost and the turnips keep them there till late season. i use Heartland seed they have a web site to check out.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

I planted some evolved throw and gro in April and not the rye is dieing. There is supposed to clover and brassicas in it but they never came up. Why do you think it is dieing?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the bit of foodplotting I have done and knowing you are well north of me here in Pa. I would tell you to plant right now. I will be planting around mid August. If you call any of the companies, they can make suggestions as of what and when to plant. If you are looking for something easy that the deer really seem to like, try Whitetail Institutes No-Plow. I had great luck with it, fast growing and they ate it up. Biologics Premium Perennial is another good blend of Clover, Chicory, and Brassica that has done well for me. Best of luck.

Shane
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Would gander mountain carry seeds for like wheat and turnips and that sort of thing or not? Cause I don't know of anywhere else around me here in Kalamazoo that I could go to buy that stuff short of ordering it offline but then I have to pay for shipping. And you said brassicas are good to toss in with other seeds and stuff, but what is brassica? I have never heard of that. I did find something online at gander mountain called: Evolved Harvest Throw & Gro Food Plot Seed. Its description is this: Create a personal food plot to attract and hold deer where you want to hunt. Throw & Gro is a potent mixture of forage plant seeds, including tetraploid ryegrass, clovers, and rape brassica. Throw & Gro can be planted in the spring and fall without discing, even in areas not accessible to heavy equipment. A 5-lb. bag covers 1/4 acre. If any of you have experience with this or know someone that has could you let me know if it works relatively well or not? Thanks

Last edited by joemr1288; 08-09-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Brassicas are mixture of different plants, in regards to food plots the most popular are usually turnips and rape which are fantastic late fall/early winter plots.. Like others have said mix it up through some of your basic brassicas in with some oats or wheat. It doesn't hurt to through a few different types of clover in with them as well. I'm also from Michigan and usually have my plots in and done with by mid-aug., this allows the plants to muture before the first frosts hit. Typically in woods they will harmer the oats and clover early and then start in on the brassicas come novemeber.. As far as throw and grow is concerned I would 100% pass, I've used them in hard to get place and have had below poor results. If you live near kalamazoo you should be able to find some sort of farmers market (local co-op) check it out in the phone or go to a local farmer ask them. Usually it will be the same place they get their seed, fertilizer, lime, ect...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Well I would prefer to buy a bag of something that has all the stuff mixed into it already so I don't have to buy like 6 different seeds and what not. Would any of the Whitetail Institutes seeds like Imperial Double-Cross Plot Food stuff work well? Sorry if I am bugging you guys I am just new to this and don't have anyone else to ask for help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.