HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   is there anyone? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/299954-there-anyone.html)

mohunter82 08-07-2009 01:21 PM

is there anyone?

Thinking of trying slick tricks out

who HAS shot the slick tricks that hasnt liked them.
i know alot of people like them. but i wanna see if there is possibly a downside at all.

I only need opinions of people who have shot them.

hardcorehunter 08-07-2009 02:03 PM

Last year I just had the best season of my life bow hunting, and a slick trick was on the end of each arrow. I took an elk in NM, a pope and young buck in MN, a pope and young buck in MO, another real nice buck in MO, and a huge doe in MO. Nothing to not like. They hit where your field tips hit, and always fly perfectly. All animals died within yds of being shot, but shot placement was perfect. Great heads, as many others on the market today. Most higher end heads on the market today are great and Magnus are also awesome if you like fixed heads. Rage and Spitfires are awesome if you like a mechanical and you don't want to monkey with O-rings.

bowmanaj 08-07-2009 02:17 PM

I shoot Slick Trick mags and love them. I've only shot 2 deer with slick tricks but both deer didn't go far, one only went about 35 yards.. Very durable and awesome cutting diameter for being a smaller fixed blade bh...

bigcountry 08-07-2009 02:18 PM

I am using slick tricks this year. Got a great price on em. 9 for 40 dollars to my door. I am sure they will work just fine.

I see folks ask about broadheads a lot on this forum. And if one shoots a deer in the vitals with any type of bladed BH and can't get the job done, he needs to take up golf.

Bottom line is, if you have a BH that is sharp, and straight, and your bow is tuned to limit BH planing, any of them get the job done. If one needs to buy the latest whizbang head with screws and blades flying out and complains about losing deer, they got a bad hit. And probabaly should take up golf.

wantabigbuck 08-07-2009 08:04 PM

+4 on slick tricks!

drockw 08-07-2009 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 3402444)
I am using slick tricks this year. Got a great price on em. 9 for 40 dollars to my door. I am sure they will work just fine.

I see folks ask about broadheads a lot on this forum. And if one shoots a deer in the vitals with any type of bladed BH and can't get the job done, he needs to take up golf.

Bottom line is, if you have a BH that is sharp, and straight, and your bow is tuned to limit BH planing, any of them get the job done. If one needs to buy the latest whizbang head with screws and blades flying out and complains about losing deer, they got a bad hit. And probabaly should take up golf.

BC youve gotta stop reminding me of golf:poke:

I recently have done some golfing, and they told me to stick with killing/shooting stuff lol! Im absolutely freaking terrible at golf:lmao:haha

Anyway... I have NOT taken an animal with a ST. I will take one with a Grizz Trick this year though... I promise:s4:

I have said it many times in the forums lately, and even posted a pretty large thread "another slick trick thread" about my experience with them and tuning this year and imho they are awesome! I was just really surprised at the flight of the Grizz... I was laying em in there at 40 yds perfectly! I shot thedeer target with it about 15-20 tmes and I can honestly say, with no exagerating that every single shot would have resulted in a dead deer! Not bragging, just happy with them thats all. At 330 fps I couldnt believe fixed head flight could be that good. Try em out...

The only thing at all that ive found is a negative is they hiss in flight but i really dont care about that one bit...

Derek

mohunter82 08-08-2009 06:31 AM

thanks derek. I have been using rages for quite awhile and love them and personally have never had a problem with them but i do believe they cost me one of my biggest bucks of my life and i didnt even shoot. mainly cause i was worried about its ability on a shoulder hit. when ya have a 150 class 10 pointer at 12 yards and his vitals are behind a tree and all you can see is the shoulder i would have liked to have been able to take that shot. i probably could have slipped one in at the edge of the shoulder blade but i didnt want to take a chance on wounding and not recovering such a good animal.

engie 08-08-2009 07:12 AM

Last year shot a thumper quartering away 15 yards, 65lbs 290fps- hit his off elbow and bounced back and lodged in his heart (after going through it once)- happy with the flight- not that happy with the blood trail- and bounce effect. That elbow area is rubbery- but that was weird. Left a huge hemotoma on his off side- he went 250 yards, One lung and center heart. Video told the story. Slick Trick 100...I guess he's dead so you make the call.

Young Deer Hunter 08-08-2009 07:30 AM

I am also thinking about trying slick tricks out also this year. I actually started a forum on them a few days ago getting people's opinions. But anyways, I absolutely fell in love with how great they flew in the air, and dead on accurate with my field points. Also, the blades are so sharp and strong. However, they "hissed" while in flight when I shot, and that is the only reason why I am considering using Muzzys instead because they didn't "hiss" with my setup. I think you should definately give them a shot because they are great heads. Still not sure what I'm going to do?

mohunter82 08-08-2009 08:26 AM

yea the hiss does kinda worry me. i dont think deer jump the string persay. i think its more the sond of the broadhead and vanes that they react to myself. of course they may not with my setup. or they may do it worse. lol im just gonna break down and try em. its only money lol.