HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another Slick Trick thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/299711-another-slick-trick-thread.html)

drockw 08-05-2009 01:52 AM

Another Slick Trick thread

Alright guys... Ive been starting to come out of target mode, and setup for the quickly coming september bow season. This year ive decided that since i have 2 bows to hunt with, I am going to shoot different heads out of both. Im gonna go with the Rage 2 blades on one setup (the higher KE setup), and Grizz Tricks with the other, and heres why...

First of all, I was VERY skeptical about the possibility of potentially good flight out of a high fps bow with a fb head. Ive always heard/rule of thumb that once you get over 280 it gets tricky. Ive never had a bow that is that fast for hunting so ive never really experienced it for myself... I knew my spine would be the determining factor in good flight at 320+, so I took time to find the right arrow setup that would give me the most optimum spine b/c I knew it would be very touchy if it was far off. I talked to quite a few PSE experts, and all agreed that an X-weave 300 pro should be great for my setup (30" 70#) I got the arrows in, and cut them down to about 31". I have a Grizz Trick, and an ST mag that Dan (meanv2) sent me from last winter that i was testing with. Starting off tuning, my arrows seemed to be a bit too weak at that length so I went ahead and cut them down about 1.5". That brought them almost perfect in with my field tips, but were still a bit off...

I decided id try something ive never done before(although I could have just dropped a few #'s of DW). I had a few of the arrows done with 6" wraps and blazers which i heard would stiffen the arrow up a bit. That seemed to be the ticket, b/c once I did that, they were perfect. I was a bit nock high, but that was an easy adjustment. I began shooting both the ST heads at 20 yds at first to see what flight was going to be like. I noticed a very slight difference in the two at twenty but couldnt tell if it was me or the head. I stepped it back to 40 and found which one was the most consistant for ME I have been shooting the Grizz Tricks out to 45yds and they are just perfect with my fp's. No moving the sight, no planing or inconsistancy... They are right on with my fp's in groups.

Now here is the odd part for me... I have found, that the Grizz seems to be more accuarate/on with my fp's than the mag is??? I thought that was pretty interesting since the Grizz is a more extreme head being shorter with steeper blades and all.

I am very happy with this head and definately plan on putting a deer or 2 down with it. Im still just shocked that I can get good flight that is up to my standards with a setup going almost 330fps!:biggrin:

I got most of my help from John (bucknasty) the PSE tuner/string maker. He is also a 30" DL shooter, and shoots 70# xforces as well, so his help was undoubtedly crucial to my beginning decisions. I used no pc programs either to determine any of this. Just a little bit of input and assistance, and it works! Right now i could care less b/c the results physically are exactly what i want! I thank him, and Dan for their help in building my 09 fb deer slayer:happy0001:

Its nice to feel comfortable and confident well before season starts. Those 45yd shots have been a breeze so far this year unlike any other year ive used fb heads. I blame that on ignorance on my part, and am glad ive found the resources on here, and major help from people like John and TFOX and many many others here and there.

Now for the other setup... Since its a comparable bow... Im gonna tune it the same way, get the Tricks to fly, and then screw in the mechanical instead of doing like I did in the past to cheat my way to good bh flight.

Derek

drockw 08-06-2009 11:26 AM

ttt. gonna try and shoot them at 60-70 here in a few days!