Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's my KE?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default What's my KE?

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what kind of kinetic energy my bow is putting out. I haven't been bowhunting long so I'm still learning the game, and I'm not sure how to calculate it. I shoot a Mathews DXT with a 27 1/2 inch draw length with a 72 pound draw weight. IBO speed for the DXT is 322 fps, but in all reality I believe I'm shooting around 290 with my hunting setup. Thats merely an educated guess. So, can any of the more experienced bowhunters here enlighten me as to how to calculate KE from all this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

You need to know 2 things:

1. Arrow weight
2. Arrow speed (chrono - actual)

Plenty of online calculators to aid you if you know these.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, what's your KE out of your recurve set up?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Struttin,

Here is an on-line calculator to get your KE. http://www.archeryhq.com/kin.htm

As GMMAT stated, you will need to know your actual speed and arrow weight to get your actual KE.

I hope you are not worried about it being enough. My buddy is shooting a DXT, 28"DL, 70lbs, 370gr arrow at 297fps. That setup produces 72 ft lbs, which is plenty.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

42.3FP's, Steve
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks kickin, that told me what I needed to know. I shoot a heavier arrow, so my bow is producing 73 ft lbs. of KE. This is probably a stupid question, but surely that is enough to shoot a mechanical head like the grim reaper razortip?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StruttinGobbler3
Thanks kickin, that told me what I needed to know. I shoot a heavier arrow, so my bow is producing 73 ft lbs. of KE. This is probably a stupid question, but surely that is enough to shoot a mechanical head like the grim reaper razortip?
You should be just fine with the reaper razor tip!

Here is a link to a calculator where you can guesstimate speed and KE. Its pretty neat and ive found that if you actually know your arrow weight, the speed can be really close! I tend to put 15gr. in as the string weight fwiw.

http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#
Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
42.3FP's, Steve
I need to get mine chronoed. It would be Interesting to see how fast (or slow) I should say that these 685 grain arrows are coming out of my recurve. I was guessing It would be In that high 40's range for KE, maybe not though.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Steve:

I checked my 52# limbs for S&G's @ a 3D shoot. 171 (with that arrow).

I checked the 58# limbs when I was having a dickens of a time tuning them (it actually shoots a weaker spined arrow than the 52# limbs). I wanted to make sure the #-age was there....and I didn't have a draw board. The chrono told me what I needed to know.

I don't see me checking a chrono in the future. I likely bought the last bow I'll ever own.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know what kind of kinetic energy my bow is putting out. I haven't been bowhunting long so I'm still learning the game, and I'm not sure how to calculate it. I shoot a Mathews DXT with a 27 1/2 inch draw length with a 72 pound draw weight. IBO speed for the DXT is 322 fps, but in all reality I believe I'm shooting around 290 with my hunting setup. Thats merely an educated guess. So, can any of the more experienced bowhunters here enlighten me as to how to calculate KE from all this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Check out the site Derek gave you, you're probably closer to 65-68 I'd guess, remember that you loose speed for the weight on your string also, but you should be fine with KE over 60 to use those Grim Reaper.