Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bedding Area Found >

Bedding Area Found

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bedding Area Found

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bedding Area Found

Wise or not! I found a Doe bedding area is it wise to put a trail camera in the area to see when there coming to it or not? I was think If I did and they laid in there beds the camera would just continue to go off and the deer would become uneasy and vacate the area. Opinions please?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd worry more about stinking it up going to and from my cam.

Deer are "fairly" tolerant of human intrusion (some, more than others). But, they bed there for a reason. They feel safe, there. Jeopardize that, and you're begging them to move.

I'd steer clear of it....and note it for future hunts (the rut). It being a doe bedding area, I'd steer WAY clear of.......for now. Your time will come to go there (or close to there). Now isn't the time. Early season isn't the time. When bucks get up and start traveling in the daylight.....is the time.

I used to hunt the heck out of these areas (outskirts). I've learned to steer clear of them until late Oct./early Nov. (here).

I'll still hunt the fringes early....if I wanna whack a doe....and I don't have a good wind to go after a buck. If I had more land, I'd not hunt these areas until the time frame I mentioned.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Id stay clear of the bedding areas. I like to put cameras up on travel corridors. I like to leave the bedding areas alone, Mark them as off limits. Places i will not enter. And i only begin to hunt near them in that late season when deer movement becomes minimal do to pressure. I like to give the deer and idea of complete seclusion, it helps hold them on my property instead of being pushed off to other lands. I have hunted bedding areas and done cameras in there before, but i have learned its best to stear clear.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyone else has stated, I would stay clear of it. Instead, what I would be doing is trying to locate a good pinch point leading to that bedding area. Not only would this be a great place to hang your cam, but it would also be where I would be when the rut starts. Good luck!