Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Something to think about >

Something to think about

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Something to think about

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Something to think about

When in the stand and a buck or doe is coming down the trail only twenty yards away from you. You are standing up and have the release on the loop getting ready for the shot. The buck or doe stops and is giving you the stare down. Do you guys keep your bow low or keep it high before getting ready to shoot. I find it better to keep it high and angle the bow to break up your background. I know its a no brainer but it works awesome.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer to freeze and leave the bow where it may be when the deer looks up at me.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I just try to stay as still as I could where ever I am at. I am more than likley shaking at that point, so hopefully it will be a little breazy and I will look like leaves shaking in the wind.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Hold and wait for the deer to look away, then slowly move your bow into position.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Wait till you've drawn and that "stare down" happens...it seems like an eternity.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beezer
Wait till you've drawn and that "stare down" happens...it seems like an eternity.
I have had that happen before at our gate stand. You only get about five seconds to make your mind up before they enter the other woods so pretty much when you hear something coming you better be ready. Any ways I was rattling two years ago in this stand when I could hear a loud grunt and something trotting down the trail. I drew back and the buck seen me through a big cedar tree. (through a small opening that I look through to determin if its a buck or doe) and he froze. Now 9 out of 10 times I draw back in this stand I let the deer go by because its not big enough. But this was a bigger then normal buck and I held the draw for about one minute before I had to let down. Lets just say I lost my man card that day with my dad after I told him the story.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's better to have the bow up by your face so it breaks up your outline and it's ready to draw back in one movement.