Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shot the Rage FINALY! >

Shot the Rage FINALY!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Rage FINALY!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Truth be known, I was one of those guys who didn't have a clue how the hell to tune these newer styled bows, and I shot Mechanicals for a while because of it. Once I figured it out, I stayed with mechanicals a couple more years because of the HUGE devastating holes they left. The more I messed around with different FBH, the more I found that I could "tinker" just a little more and get even better flight, better form and follow through certainly helped as well, especially when shooting the FBH. The last few years, I've felt just as confident with a FBH on the fore-end of an arrow as I have with a FP, and I think that's one BIG factor that makes guys lean towards the Mechanicals is confidence in the shot. I have 3 different mechanicals in my archery box that won't fly as WELL as my ST's. I think most of it is mild inconsistencies in the ferules, the long ferules balancing different, etc, but a WASP Jak-Hammer don't hit as consistent as a ST does at 40yds, nor does a Spitfire or NAP Shockwave. And I've had the Shockwave, even with the band in the right place open up during flight, one of the reasons I retired those heads after a couple kills.

I think the other thing about having your bow well-tuned and BH tuned is that you continue to develop confidence in the Fixed BH's because you can shoot them regularly and see they continue to fly well. Most mechanical aren't going to tolerate hundreds (and I really and truly mean HUNDREDS) of trips into foam before something is not working right, several of my ST's have made HUNDREDS of trips, and are still perfectly functional with a little sharpening. No replacing the O-ring or anything required.
Perfect post. I couldnt agree more with you! Hell... Ive learned more in the last year or so than i have in my 9 years of bowhunting. Maybe not nearly as many as some of you, but i feel that the resources ive found have developed me to a far more technical/troubleshooting archer. Ive learned more from TFOX (in person and online) about tuning than i have from anyone ever, and if it werent from this site, i would never even have known that we live less than 20miles apart from eachother

I, regardless of bh Ive ever shot, wuold rather have an accurate head than anything. Last year with the rage 3 blades, I was one of the ones that used that to compensate for my lack of tuning knowledge. My biggest problem was lack of knowledge of arrow tuning/spine. I did walk back etc, and new about cam timing yada yada... But flying a fbh takes more than a bow with set center shot...

I shot my grizz tricks and mags the other day at 40 yds and my groups were right in with my fp's. Something i never had happen in all the years shooting fbh's.

Now i feel just as confident shooting the tricks as i did the rages the past year b/c they fly excellently, which is why im setting one bow up for the st's and the other up for rages..

Derek
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Derek:

That was an excellent post.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
ANNIKA, I always check my equipment before I go hunting. I always check to make sure the broadheads are screwed in tight. I check my bow to make sure my strings are not frayed. Etc... Etc...

The point is that I do not have to check my slick tricks every time I pull them out of the quiver to make sure the blades are still being held in place by the steel ferrule and steel ring at the base. It is impossible for them to come apart unless they have been removed from the arrow... Period. Once I put them together and screw them onto my arrows I know they are secure and are ready to be shot unless the entire broadhead has come loose from the arrow.

Not so with the rage. One little bump and the blades come unseated from the rubber o-ring that holds them in place.

It takes 2 seconds to check the Rage likes it takes 2 seconds to check your ST.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
You do make some valid points, and my mind still hasnt changed
Not my job to change your mind, just to throw some info out there and give you some ideas to chew on. I wish you the best of luck with whatever is on the fore-end of you arrows, but as I said before, if you weren't pleased with a TH not getting you a pass-through, you're kidding yourself to think a Rage will do any better, unless you've upped your poundage and DL that you were shooting to get considerably more energy.

I'm not necessarily saying Rages are good or bad, just that based on the original post, it doesn't make much good sense to switch to a Rage because you were disappointed by not getting a pass-through with another smaller diameter fixed blade BH. Once I figured it out (correctly tuning a bow), I started shooting BH's at least a couple shots every practice round to make sure that I'm still putting them where they need to be. And again, shooting BH's regularly helps keep your confidence up and I believe helps make sure you put the arrow on the spot when the shot really matters.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Annika I don't have to check my St's every time I pull them out of the quiver. You can justify your decision to yourself all you want, and it really makes no difference to me at all, but it still will not change the fact that the slick tricks I choose to use, as well as many other fixed blade heads, will not have a blade come loose simply by removing it from the quiver or bumping it against a twig or blade of grass. There are no o-rings to break or rot. No rubber bands. There are no micro screws or roll pins to shear or work loose. The blades are supported at the front and the rear through out their entire length where as mechanicals are heald in place at one small point and get weaker as they get longer.

Did you watch the video I psoted? If so you will realize that there is no question why I shoot Slick Tricks above all others.

If youre not checking your equipment before you head to the woods, then dont go.
I agree 100%. Every one should check their equipment befor they head to the woods.

What I am talking about is having to constantly check them if I am stalking. Checking them every time I put them into or pull them out of a quiver. Checking them if I bump a twig. Etc... Etc...

Last edited by bigbulls; 08-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Why do you need a passthrough with a big gaping entry wound that u can stick your fist in? I havent shot them but ive seen what they will do to a rib cage!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cannonw24
Why do you need a passthrough with a big gaping entry wound that u can stick your fist in? I havent shot them but ive seen what they will do to a rib cage!
One of my 3 blade heads didnt pass thru on a doe i shot directly in the shoulder. I didnt find any blood hardly. SO I do agree with your statement a bit b/c LUCKILY I heard her crash about 40yds away, but it was a pain trying to just stumble upon he b/c of the lack of blood.

Derek
Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course I upped my poundage. Im shooting a new bow Im shooting 314FPS. My Nova was only shooting 200something. I cant remember for sure. Plus I switched to carbons, wich are a little heavier than the Easton 2315s I was using. My old Nova was supposed to have 70# limbs on it. Found out they were only 60# limbs and I was only set at 53#draw weight.......I bought my Stinger and made sure that it had 70# limbs and now Im set at 60# draw weight. Now than Im getting used to that, I may crank her up a little more now. So im feeling my KE is high enough. After fighting with the Nova all season last year and losing 3 deer it was time for a change. The old Nova just didnt have it anymore... Not sure why the only broadheads I ever had passthroughs with on the Nova were Wasp Hammers and Muzzy MX 4s. Smaller cutting diameter maybe???? I dont know.

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
Not my job to change your mind, just to throw some info out there and give you some ideas to chew on. I wish you the best of luck with whatever is on the fore-end of you arrows, but as I said before, if you weren't pleased with a TH not getting you a pass-through, you're kidding yourself to think a Rage will do any better, unless you've upped your poundage and DL that you were shooting to get considerably more energy.

I'm not necessarily saying Rages are good or bad, just that based on the original post, it doesn't make much good sense to switch to a Rage because you were disappointed by not getting a pass-through with another smaller diameter fixed blade BH. Once I figured it out (correctly tuning a bow), I started shooting BH's at least a couple shots every practice round to make sure that I'm still putting them where they need to be. And again, shooting BH's regularly helps keep your confidence up and I believe helps make sure you put the arrow on the spot when the shot really matters.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohh I agree with the last statement about stalking and having to check your equipment frequently. If youre using mechanicals and you are doing any stalking at all, or walking through brush it wont take much to jar a mechanical. I dont do any stalking so I shouldnt have that problem. And I rarely have an arrow nocked while walking to and from my stand, so chances of me bumping one before it leaves or reaches my rest are going to be slim, not sayign it cant happen and it wont happen, just saying my chanced of that happening are slim to none.

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Annika I don't have to check my St's every time I pull them out of the quiver. You can justify your decision to yourself all you want, and it really makes no difference to me at all, but it still will not change the fact that the slick tricks I choose to use, as well as many other fixed blade heads, will not have a blade come loose simply by removing it from the quiver or bumping it against a twig or blade of grass. There are no o-rings to break or rot. No rubber bands. There are no micro screws or roll pins to shear or work loose. The blades are supported at the front and the rear through out their entire length where as mechanicals are heald in place at one small point and get weaker as they get longer.

Did you watch the video I psoted? If so you will realize that there is no question why I shoot Slick Tricks above all others.

I agree 100%. Every one should check their equipment befor they head to the woods.

What I am talking about is having to constantly check them if I am stalking. Checking them every time I put them into or pull them out of a quiver. Checking them if I bump a twig. Etc... Etc...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been bowhunting for some 30 years... I have never had to check my broadheads to make sure the blade are tight and that the heads are screwed on tight...

Christ... If I felt like I had to check all my equipment before I went hunting... I'd have to take a vacation day just to check everything... Come on people... The broadhead is one of the most important parts of your equipment... Why in the world would you take a chance with a rage???

I know why... Because all the big names in bow hunting are using them... That's why...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.