Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hoyt Katera Problem, need feedback >

Hoyt Katera Problem, need feedback

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt Katera Problem, need feedback

Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Hoyt Katera Problem, need feedback

I recently bought a Hoyt Katera XL. It is 70 lbs with a draw length of 32 inches. I purchased the bow right before PA bow season last year because my old Jennings bow had broken. It worked for me to harvest my first buck, except right after bow season I realized my bottom cam was rubbing the limb. I put white out on the cam to make sure that it was actually making contact and it did peel the white out right off. I had the bow sent back to Hoyt and just received it today. I put the white out right back on the same spot and it chipped it right off the cam like before. The cam is hitting a certain spot on the limb and not chipping off anywhere else so it definately is making contact. I was wondering what everyone thinks about this. I really dont want to return it to Hoyt again and get it back with the same problem like the last time. I was wondering if I should get a new bow? will they give me one? or think about switching types? What is everyones thoughts on this problem?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 2009 katera and have never had a problem yet. I love it actually... The bow shoots fast, accurate, smooth, and I'm consistent with it. Try going to your nearest archery shop and have them look at it. They might have some ideas for ya..
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike

I did take it to the bow dealers. The shop I bought it off of and another shop because I wasnt getting much help there. Both said to send it back to Hoyt so I did. I just got it back from Hoyt today but it still has the same problem. When I draw it back the bottom cam looks like it is leaning to the right which is where it is chipping. But the dealer said that hoyt replaced the parts of the bottom cam to fix it but it didnt. Thats why I dont know what to do now
Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would call them and explain to them that it is still doing the same thing.It is a shame you have to send it back but it seems you don't have a Hoyt dealer that is able to diagnose and fix problems for you instead of sending it to the factory everytime there is a problem.

There is a multitude of things it could be.Anywhere from a $1.00 shim to a bent riser.It is next to impossible to find out what it is without going through the bow in person.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correcting a cam lean can be a pretty simple fix. Any pro shop worth their weight in turkey feathers should be able to fix this in just a few minutes. Can you post pictures of your bottom cam? It would really help to be able to see it, because if the problem is what I think it is, you just need a decent pro shop.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Spike

I would definitely get it fixed the right way. I also have the same bow and love it, but they are not a cheap bow so might as well have it right. I would go back to where you bought it and get the service you deserve.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Correcting a cam lean can be a pretty simple fix. Any pro shop worth their weight in turkey feathers should be able to fix this in just a few minutes. Can you post pictures of your bottom cam? It would really help to be able to see it, because if the problem is what I think it is, you just need a decent pro shop.

BOTTOM cam can be quite tricky to correct on a Hoyt or any other hybrid cam system.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
BOTTOM cam can be quite tricky to correct on a Hoyt or any other hybrid cam system.
Had the same issue on my 2008 Katera XL. I agree that it can be a tricky fix, depending on what the problem is. I also agree that it can be a very simple fix depending on what the problem. This is why is why I ask for pictures. Seeing that nobody on here, except for the orginal poster, has see it, it would be very hard to tell him that it is a simple fix or a hard fix.

Either way, any pro shop with a good bow tech should be able to help correct the problem, or work with Hoyt to get the problem corrected.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Had the same issue on my 2008 Katera XL. I agree that it can be a tricky fix, depending on what the problem is. I also agree that it can be a very simple fix depending on what the problem. This is why is why I ask for pictures. Seeing that nobody on here, except for the orginal poster, has see it, it would be very hard to tell him that it is a simple fix or a hard fix.

Either way, any pro shop with a good bow tech should be able to help correct the problem, or work with Hoyt to get the problem corrected.

Agreed,it is a shame he can't have it taken care of locally.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Spike

Hey sorry I wasnt on the computer til now. I didnt get any pictures today because I took it back to the bow shop hoping to get it fixed (again). The tech guy said that all of the bottom cams lean but he called hoyt and the lady there said that it sounds like a limb problem and now they are sending us new limbs. What does everyone think about that? and thank you for all of your feedback, it is really helping me feel better about this knowing that I have some support that I should have this fixed for what I payed for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.