Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Walk through it, or go around it? >

Walk through it, or go around it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walk through it, or go around it?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, my point is that sometimes it is better to walk thru a standing corn field versus the field edge.

I always choose the option that will disturb the fewest or no deer, and sometimes, like this case, its walking across the field.

Last edited by drhntr178; 08-02-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a situation like this last year. I was not able to hunt a particular stand early season because I knew that a few deer bedded down on, and a little inside the edge of the ag field about 100 yards away from that stand,give or take.. I had come to terms with that, because there was literally no way I could enter this spot from the opposite side (The only other entrance route would have me tresspassing on someone else's land). Also, I did not want to walk the edge, because that's where they ften hang out and the way they usually come from once I'm actually in the stand.. After a couple weeks of bow season I couldn't take it anymore, and wanted to hunt that spot. I slowly walked through the field directly to my stand. I did that about 8 times throughout the season and never bumped deer. Sometimes I sprayed my boots with a tiny bit of doe pee.

That being said, I did spook deer one of the times at that stand by letting my pack smack up against the treestand.. Go figure..

You could maybe try it once and if you start bumpng a bunch of deer, back out and never enter that way until you know they're not in there. Good luck to you, it sounds like an awesome spot!

Last edited by bowmanaj; 08-02-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what really cracks me up? You got guys on here that probably have only been hunting for about 5 years.

They have an awesome place to hunt that is over run with deer. They manage to take 21 deer in 3 years.

With that success, they've become very arrogant.

While just a couple years ago, they were asking lots of questions too.

You have to wonder how a guy like that would act if he hadn't had such an awesome place to hunt with such liberal bag limits.

Yes, hunting the edge of a cornfield in the AM would not be as productive as evening would probably be.

Yes, deer will and do bed in unharvested cornfields.

Yes, deer will likely be along the edge of that field as opposed to the middle in the early AM.

If it were me, I'd enter my stand crossing the middle of the unharvested cornfield.
After the harvest, I'd go around along the treeline.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 08-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt Texas and Oklahoma, what is a corn field..
Old 08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

You know what cracks ME up? A guy who quits hunting because a doe gets killed that he was hand-feeding in his back yard.

You can scoff all you want at my hunting resume', and do your best to diminish my accomplishments. ALL that reaks to me is insecurity or jealousy. Pick your poison.

I'm not arrogant. I just don't appreciate the personal jabs at my experience level. Judge my posts on their factual merits, alone. Time afield, notwithstanding. I go through this no-experience crap every single season....and still manage "OK".
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

No insecurity or jealousy here.

Its your attitude!

Wasn't so long ago (before those 21 deer) that you were on here asking questions and wanting advice. You got it.

Now, 21 deer later, you seem to give a little of that "know it all" attitude in your posts.

I'll give you credit, 21 deer in 3 years is something to be proud of.

But you need to be realistic. You don't have years and years of hunting experience under your belt. You openly admit that you never hunted a cornfield in the morning. So how can you offer advice on how to hunt it?

While you advice was good, the part about not crossing the field through the middle was not good.

Myself as well as a few others on here have had success with that very tactic. You on the other hand have never hunted a corfield in the AM. This is what I mean by experience.

You sound off about stuff that you actually have never done. Its things such as this is why others question your experence level.

You come off rather harsh in many of your posts. If you could think back to before you were as successful you were always asking questions. It is now your turn to offer advice but do it in a different manner.

Sometimes us guys that have many successful years hunting have a little bit of experience too.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
They'll also bed IN the corn. I wouldn't wak through the corn field while it was still green or go through it in the dark (AM Darkness).

Advice was ask on how to get to the stand site. He wanted to know whether to go through the cornfield or around it.

Your advice was not totally correct. Yes deer may be in the field but not always.

The best advice would be to go through it, because deer would most likely be wandering the edge in the AM.

You openly admit that you don't hunt cornfields or destination food sources in the AM. Therefore you have no experience in the matter. Yet you continue to rant how going through it is bad advise.

I, as well as others have had success going right through the middle of a standing cornfield, in the dark, in the AM.

So here we are, speaking of our success at such a tactic as you rant without a shred of experience in that tactic.

Rocket science no, but years of experience has taught me that I have somehow beat a few deer to a place they were already supposed to be and stuck an arrow through them. Yet I have someone that never hunted a destination food source, in the AM, tell me it can't be done. Hmmm!

I'll admit that evenings are better at this type of set up, but if the OP can only hunt AMs, then its worth a shot.

I'm not going to come on her and shoot down his question and act like I know it all because I killed 21 deer in three years.

Been there, surpassed that!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

I have zero years experience in eating dog ****.....but my advice is to not eat it.

Like I told Jeff. if you're so inclined, though.....Give 'em hell!

You openly admit that you don't hunt cornfields or destination food sources in the AM. Therefore you have no experience in the matter.
I also openly admit that I have no experience busting into buck bedding areas at 9:00 in the morning. And.......there's good reason for not doing THAT, also.

I also don't whistle as I walk through the woods or eat garlic chips on stand. Call me crazy.

Last edited by GMMAT; 08-02-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

So....how many years have you been hunting?

How many bucks have you taken?

What happened to you in the last couple years?

Use to be someone on here that I thought was an alright guy.

I haven't spent much time on here in the last year or so, but man you have changed..and not for the better.

I think you try too hard to get people to respect you because of your accomplishments.

I'll admit, you racked up an impressive tally in a few short years. Knowing you basically started from scratch, you've learned quickly. Its ashame you come across to people this way now.

I feel you'd gain more respect if you provided helpful info instead of throwing people down verbaly with your posts. You seem abbrasive with you comments.

I notice you mock or question people with their responses to others questions. You always look to shoot down others comments.

I think others feel as I do. I've bit my lip a few times in the past while reading your comments because I use to like you, thought you were cool.

I guess a little success changes people, huh?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
What?????????????????????????????????????

What did you mean by this post?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.