Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bible Man, I'd be shocked if your wife was a 28" draw. That's highly unlikely and shooting a bow that is too long is never good. Definitely get her measured and by someone credible.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You say on the low end of the price range... Well what is that for you?? Low price is different for everyone. It will be alot easier for people to suggest specific bow setups in the price you are comfortable with spending if you just let us know what that price is. Archerytalk.com classifieds are a great place to start looking for newer used bows at some great prices. Good luck. WCL

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 08-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
I have been looking at the Parker Sidekick that Lady Forge recommended. One thing I am wondering about is the speed you could generate from one. We had her draw length measured to between 27-28...thinking we will probably go with a 28 when the time comes. About what speeds would you think a 30#-40# bow would produce? What about a 40#-50# bow? Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Also, if you still have other suggestions as far as specific bows go, let me know.
27-28 is a huge difference. Have her measured exactly or measure her wing span and use this calculator and I usually subtract 1/2 inch if using a d-loop for shooting and all the people I have measured using it have always fit great. http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/drawlength.php. My guess is she will be around a 27. Between 35-50lbs dont worry about speed. Accuracy, taking good shot angles, shooting unalert animals and shots less than 30 yards is all she needs to worry about. WCL
Old 08-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Spike

For the price Parker makes some very good bows
Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

We did have her measured at a bow shop. They said she could probably shoot a 28 with a loop and the right release, but we will hopefully go back sometime this week to let her actually shoot some and draw length/# feels most comfortable to her. As far as price range goes, we would like her to be aiming at a deer with $500 MAX in the setup...preferably below that. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, after selling off a few other, less important things, we went with a Mission Menace. It is set at 27 with a loop...she was more comfortable with that than shooting it at 28. She is super excited about it! I am a little too I suppose you could say. Set at 35# right now and plan on kicking it up to around 40# by season's start. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. After she shot the Menace, there really wasn't much else in her mind...she liked it that much.