Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quartering away shot?

Old 01-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: quartering away shot?

I'D FEEL COMFORTABLE (SP) TO TAKE THE SHOT.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would definetly take that shot. That is your best shot for a double lung hit. Plus the deer is looking away from you. I practice that shot all the time on my 3D target. Most of my bow kills have been on deer that are quartering away.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Absolutely.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a quartering away shot like that in a hearbeat!!!! provide the deer is not walking. I won't shoot at a moving deer with my bow.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-24-2002, 06:42 PM

Well I hate to be the odd one out, but I don't think I would do it. If there is any chance I am going to hit the opposite shoulder, I'll pass. My bow just doesn't have what it takes to get a pass thru with the shoulder in the way.

You guys all talk how it doesn't matter what broad head you use as long as you have proper shot placement and wait for the right shot. Then you say you would not hesitate at a quartering away shot where you would have to put an arrow thru 1 third of the deer and pray you did not catch the shoulder on the way out. Maybe if I were shooting 70 or 80 ft/lbs of ke like some of you guys, but I'm not risking it with my 45 or 50 ft/lbs. Maybe if I were pretty high up and the deer was close so the angle was fairly acute, but then that is a hard shot also. You also better know where to hit the deer too. If you aim at it like you were shooting 3-d you are going to be chasing a deer with an arrow sticking out of it for a while.

I am not bagging on you guys that have a lot of experience and can make a shot like this. It's just that you're making this sound like an easy shot to us new guys, and it's not. Especially from the ground or a low stand. I have tried it with my 3-d target, and in order to hit the vitals you almost have to shoot it in the hip. And then when you line up where the exit wound would be, it is dangerously close to the shoulder. But I do agree I would rather have it quartering away than to me. Mess up on that one and you either hit it solid in the shoulder or stick it thru the gut. Bad scenerio either way with my bow.

Don't any body get too riled up, these are just my opinions, with little to base them on except what I have been taught by others.

Paul

Edited by - biteme/paul mohr on 01/24/2002 19:48:00
Old 01-24-2002, 06:55 PM

Paul, I see what your saying about sticking it in the oppisite sholder. If that happens, your arrow just stays in the deer instead of going clanking off through the trees. The damage has already been done.

It's all over but the Eatin'!!

John
Old 01-24-2002, 06:55 PM

Paul, I see what your saying about sticking it in the oppisite sholder. If that happens, your arrow just stays in the deer instead of going clanking off through the trees. The damage has already been done.

It's all over but the Eatin'!!

John
Old 01-24-2002, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take the shot. 6" window at 15yds. is looking pretty big. I will differ from most here though. I am not knocking a quartering away shot, it is a good one. But, I greatly prefer a nice broadside shot over any other. Heart shots are nice, heart/one lung is nice, but time in, time out, a good broadside where you centerpunch both lungs, and pass through the animal quickly, will result in a faster kill, with shorter trail. I base this on a ton of my own experience. I`m not that young, and have been foolish enough to spend most of the money I have made in my life, hunting whitetails in every state I can get to. So, I`m talking alot of bowkills here.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:09 PM

My experience is lacking, but my ethics are not.
Don't want to give anyone fire power, especially any trolling anti's.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->

Edited by - 55#recurve on 01/25/2002 01:17:07
Old 01-25-2002, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

At 15 yards there aren't many shots or angles I won't take. The only thing left is the dragging.

Quick Reply: quartering away shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.