Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Advice!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Advice!!!

Im bucklin down and finally gonna go buy a new rangefinder this weekend. My question is the new angle compensator in the rangefinders really worth the extra money or not. Ive been looking at the Nikon 550 prostaff but if know i dont wanna get the Nikon archers choice because i wanna use it for rifle hunting too. So throw me some info on what ya think.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I was buying a new one, I'd get it...not for bowhunting but just because you never know if a trip out west or in the mountains would call for it.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GR8atta2d
If I was buying a new one, I'd get it...not for bowhunting but just because you never know if a trip out west or in the mountains would call for it.
Agreed, it will ALMOST never come in handy in bowhunting unless you hunt extreme side hills and longer shots but you may never know when it will come in handy.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

It'll come in handy.....if you plan on hunting 60'+ in a tree......or if the differential = that or more on a hillside (tough trail you're on, huh?).

If I had to pay more for it....I wouldn't pay it. If I gun hunted at all (I don't), I'd get it. If I only bowhunted, I wouldn't give it a second look.

Run the numbers for yourself (Pythagaorean Theorem).

EDIT*****

Here's a scenario I ran for giggles....

Let's say you're 20yds up in a tree (yeah....that's 60'). Let's say your target is 60yds out. To compensate for the angle....your actual yardage to your target is a little over 63yds.

Worth it, to you, to know that?

Last edited by GMMAT; 07-27-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Spike

I bought a range finder last year and was in the same situation. I chose not to get the angle compensator. I figured I was going to practice shooting from a tree stand, so the 20 yards I measured practicing would be the same distance I would see in the field.

Like others said, long distance or some extreme conditions on a mountain it would be to your advantage to buy the archers choice.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by tmontgo1
Im bucklin down and finally gonna go buy a new rangefinder this weekend. My question is the new angle compensator in the rangefinders really worth the extra money or not. Ive been looking at the Nikon 550 prostaff but if know i dont wanna get the Nikon archers choice because i wanna use it for rifle hunting too. So throw me some info on what ya think.

I bought the Leupold RXII/RX1000. I'm extremely happy with it. It has the TBR option. I think that for bowhunting that it's VERY usefull. Becuase a few yard error when you take your shot can mean a good clean shot and a complete miss.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Someone give me a real bowhunting situation where the angle compensation makes a discernable difference.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Ok so help me out on this then, take say my $300 and get a rangefinder angle compensation or go with this deal here(what do u think)------ http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Agreed, it will ALMOST never come in handy in bowhunting unless you hunt extreme side hills and longer shots but you may never know when it will come in handy.
I agree if I'm buying new I'd spend a little extra if necessary to have it though. I just would not go out and spend $$ to upgrade from what I already have.

Dan
Old 07-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Someone give me a real bowhunting situation where the angle compensation makes a discernable difference.
Anyone????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.