Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
recommend a bow starter kit >

recommend a bow starter kit

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

recommend a bow starter kit

Old 07-26-2009, 06:34 AM

Default recommend a bow starter kit

recommend me a bow starter kit. I want something ready to hunt out of the box. under $500 but reliable to use the next couple of years. adjustable weight up to 70# , not sure with what draw length. but if I remember I think 29". I found a bowtech tomkat kit for about $450 but I would like to have some other suggestions. would you buy a used bow? how about off ebay?
I used to do 3d targets with a power mag 15years ago but never hunted

thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have bought a lot of bows on ebay with good prices. It's like anything else, it's the luck of the draw. Like buying a used car.

Best thing is to shoot some new bows and see what feels right and what you are comfortable with, then you might know better what to look for on ebay. Since we are experiencing an economic crunch you could find some good deals on used bows.

Make sure of the draw length and what draw weight you are comfortable with.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out this site

www.huntersfriend.com
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Tomkat was a fantastic starter bow and one I would reccommend do anyone looking to get started in archery on a budget.

However they do not make the Tomkat any more and buying one off of Ebay will void the Bowtech warranty (or any factory warranty). If you are well versed in bow mechanics and can work on your own bows well then Ebay is a great place to find a deal but if you are new to the sport tneh I would strongly recommend against Ebay and tell you to go to some pro shops. You will get set up right from the get go and you will have a lifetime warranty to go with your new bow.

Three bow packages I can recommend with out hesitation are...

Bowtech sniper package (replaced the tomkat)
Diamond Rock package.
Fred Bear Lights Out package. This bow shoots amazingly well and quite a bit better than many higher priced bows on the market today.

These packages are going to run you about $550 new but worth the extra money IMO for peace of mind. The only thing you will need to add would be arrows and a release.

Now, if you can find a Tomkat left over from 2008 at a dealer then you can likely get a fantastic deal on a fantastic bow.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

If you are only looking for a starter bow to last you a year or two untill you are gonna upgrade why even waste the time getting a starter bow. I know it is had to sometimes do, but spend a couple hundred extar know and get you a good one instaed of spending $500 know then $800 later for a total of $1300.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a used Bowtech Mighty Mite made in 05' ready to go, in great condition with arrows for sale!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM

thanks for all the replies. as for why a starter bow. I have seen ready to hunt kits pretty reasonably priced. not sure how much I will get in to the sport. right now I work out of town and my weekends are split with family, motorcycle racing and gun hunting (predators). so I'm pressed to add another hobby into the mix.
right now I'm looking at a parker ultra lite 31.
I may have to look at some reviews on the mighty mite LOL too
Old 07-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

I recently got a bowtech sniper and it is a very good bow..super quiet and no handshock.Id recoomend it to anyone.I did sswith out the rest for a wisker buisket and added a string tamer but i dont think i needed to..
Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muliefever
check out this site

www.huntersfriend.com
Best place to look for a bow right out of the bow.....
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mahoningbuck
Best place to look for a bow right out of the bow.....
thats where I was going to get the Parker, if I decided too. so you would recommend them,eh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.