HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what about rage? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/298645-what-about-rage.html)

james therrell 07-23-2009 09:41 AM

what about rage?

I use the 2" 100 grain rocket hammer head, and have good passthrus on all deer sizes. I hear so much about the rage and all the video footage I see on tv or dvd I see the rage not passing thru.
If it is not lossing the energy from deploment why is it that most(75%) or more do not pass thru. The premo and drury guys got me using the rocket which now is hard to find. I looked at their old video and the rockets would always pass thru with no arrow sticking out of the deer and good blood trails. Dont get me wrong dead is dead but I hear they dont lose enery on deploment so why do they stop? What is your knowlegde of the rage?

dave_eder 07-23-2009 10:05 AM

Rage sponsored a 100 yard archery tourney at the trade show this year, basically to show how accuarte you can be with their heads at 100 yards.

the contest proved its point expect in the final round, one of the contestant's broadhead opened up in mid flight...proving another point...the way the blades lock in, is not the most secure.

they are great heads and i know a lot of people who kill a lot more deer than i who shoot them, but i personallly am not a big fan.

HuntingBry 07-23-2009 10:27 AM

There has been a TON of discussion on this exact topic in the past. I'm not sure how the search feature works since the site has been updated, but you could probably find all the answers you want and some entertaining argument by doing a quick search.

TX_Hoghunter 07-23-2009 10:33 AM

I have killed a lot of deer, hogs, and exotics with them and they have worked great for me. To be successful with them you have to be smarted then the broadhead.....LOL. Just make sure it is clicked down and it will be fine, but if you bump it on something then check it before you shoot.

-john

james therrell 07-23-2009 10:56 AM

I know they kill and I Know they deploy in flight, but why are they losing energy. I do see some pass thrus on vedio but not many. I do see large entrance holes but maybe that why they lose the energy and stop so soon.

TX_Hoghunter 07-23-2009 11:03 AM

I have killed 10 whitetails in the last 3 years with them, several hogs, a couple of exotics. Only one was not a pass though and it was a severe quartering away shot that buried in the opposite shoulder. The buck when about 40 yards. I am good with that.

Also when handled properly they don't open in flight.

-john

james therrell 07-23-2009 11:10 AM

The testing i performed had no flight or inflight opening problems. Im saying this based on what iv seen many times on tv and vedio. if you watch the outdoor channel any at all you will see what I see "most of the shots do not pass thru" the deer runs off with arrow sticking out, I know they are dead too. but with the numbers your giving me, not what Iv seen maybe I should try them.

mconwa951 07-23-2009 11:13 AM

I am no expert all I know is that I have killed 12 or so deer with them and I have had all complete pass throughs and in one case burried the broadhead in a tree on the exit side far enough I had to cut the tree to get it out. The one that was not a complete pass through was a bad shot on my part and was a slight quarter to shot and went through front shoulder.

james therrell 07-23-2009 11:20 AM

Do you guys see what I see or am I missing something. Maybe the ones on video are a diffirent kind. Im going to look at the stiffness of the blades maybe they dont flex any and thats why the may slow down on impack. I know the rocket hammer head blades will flex and I have broken the ends off of some but they "rear deploy" alway pass thru.

drockw 07-23-2009 12:39 PM

they are 2" of cutting area!!!! Thats why they have trouble passing through!!! You are gonna need some high ke/momentum to ensure all pass thrus with the 2" 2 blade rage... Thats all there is to it... You know they kill, and are accurate, and with a little commen sense wont open up prematurely, just try em out haha!