HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Baking Soda Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/298624-baking-soda-question.html)

jameser9 07-23-2009 06:33 AM

Baking Soda Question

The guys that use baking soda do you just store it with the clothes or pourt it on the clothes?

Thanks
New Bowhunter

crenshaw 07-23-2009 06:40 AM

Baking Soda works great. I use to use it years ago when all these scent eliminator detergents werent out yet. My dad still uses itcause he refuses to pay $20 for a bottle of detergint that will last for 3 loads. I have used it in a pinch recently and think i will just go back to using it full time, it kills scents just as good as the rest for 1/100 of the cost.

Horizontal Hunter 07-23-2009 06:41 AM

I add 1/2 a box to the washer in the rinse when I wash my hunting clothes.

Bob

jameser9 07-23-2009 07:06 AM

I have some dead down wind detergent and dryer sheets i got for a deal through cabelas...I was thinking after washing storing in a plastic bag but after the first hunt returning to an air tite container this is where i would use the baking soda...does that make sense or not?

fishinty 07-23-2009 07:12 AM

I wash all my hunting clothes and masks in baking soda . Then I put them in a plastic tote .

HuntingBry 07-23-2009 07:14 AM

I keep a fresh box in with my stored gear (which reminds me I have to get a new one) and sprinkle some in my boots. I also will use some with my scent free detergent.

RIStrutStopper 07-23-2009 07:26 AM

I buy the boxes made for fridge/freezer use. You tear the sides of the box off and there is a fine mesh that keeps the baking soda in the box but provides more surface area to absorb (adsorb?) odors. Just open it and throw it in the bag/container with your scent free clothes.

I used to pour a regular box of baking soda into a black sock and keep it in my bow case to help eliminate odors. Also, you can use it to pat yourself down.

The Rev 07-23-2009 07:53 AM

I've done it, but now I pack up my clothes in large baggies after washing them in scent free detergent and air drying them for two days. Works great for me.

We worked one morning cutting and de-horning about 50 bulls then went hunting with the smell all over us. That worked great too, but not too many people have that option. The bulls may disagree with that method however!:s5:

jameser9 07-23-2009 08:27 AM

I had some carbon clothing but i have got rid of it...and was going to practice just strait scent control this year...thanks for the input i really liked the bow case idea

Geronimo 07-23-2009 09:27 AM

You put it under your arms, in your boots and socks, in all of your orfices and in your hat. Remember, hair is the collector of bacteria the more you have ( hair) the dirtier you are. Finally, try not to wear a baseball type hat 24 hours a day and give yourself a chance to clean your hair.