Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Public Service Announcement RE: Broadhead Flight >

Public Service Announcement RE: Broadhead Flight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Service Announcement RE: Broadhead Flight

Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Public Service Announcement RE: Broadhead Flight

"They fly just like field points". How many times have you heard this? What does this mean, to you?

There is NO (non-mechanical) BH that will inherently or by default "fly just like field points". Somehow the marketing got off track....or bowhunters got more gullible. And, shooting a mechanical (because you can't get fixed blades to fly straight) is only putting a band-aid on a potential gaping wound (i.e. possible major tuning issue that's adversely affecting your arrow's performance).

To many of you vets, this is old hat. But it's something I learned from trial and ERROR (many).......

THE ONLY WAY A FIXED BLADE BH IS GOING TO FLY LIKE YOUR FIELD TIPS.....IS IF YOUR BOW IS PROPERLY TUNED TO SHOOT IT.

With the season looming, ask yourself if you fully understand what tuning your bow properly entails. And, if you don't....seek out someone in the forum (if you want to know who they are....I'm sure their names will be listed in this thread). There's no shame in this.

I think it would be great if Rob/PA; TFox; Bruce Lanthier (or anyone else well versed) would do a tutorial on Bow/BH tuning. The guides are one thing. An interactive tutorial would benefit MANY.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very good post. I admit it i do not know how to tune my bow. They helped me set it up when i bought the bow. IT shoots good dead on as long as i shoot good. So i have worryed about it very little. That might cost me one day when that trophy is standing there. I am the type of person who welcomes help so if someone does the how to video. Thanks from me ahead of time
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points Jeff, and it's not that difficult in most cases to get a bow tuned if you have correctly spined arrows. With that being said, if there are some of you guys who aren't sure, PM me your complete set-up, and I'll take a little time to put your set-up on OT2 and give you some feedback.

Until 2003, I didn't believe FBH would ever fly worth a damn, and I used Mechanicals almost exclusively,the more I learned, the more I realized I was WRONG!!! I now can tweak MOST set-ups and get FP's and BH's grouping real close with relative ease.

Also, if you take the time to BH tune your bow, you'll very likely find that it ends up shooting your FP's a bit better and tighter grouped as well. If any of you guys aren't sure how to do it, seek some advice, their is NO SHAME in asking for help. ESPECIALLY help that may make you a little better or more efficient hunter.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

For some reason I thought this was covered as a sticky somewhere on the forum but I can't find it now...

Cut down to the bare basics, the blades on a fixed broadhead can affect the flight of an arrow...It might be an inch at 25 yards or several inches...To tune the bow to the broadhead you move either the nocking point up or down or the rest up or down or right and left slightly...In doing so both field points and broadheads will group together...

Paper tuning will get you in the ballpark but broadhead tuning will help accuracy with specific broadheads...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

NC....you have to start here, IMO.....

Start with the correct spined arrow for your setup at your desired tip weight/DW/arrow length. Then....adjust for center shot.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my pet peeves with the broadhead industry and their advertising. All of them will fly like a FP out a properly tuned bow and none will if the bow is out of tune. I can't tell you how many guys I talk to that say brand X, Y or Z is junk and won't fly so I switched to mechanical heads. The advertising from the fixed blade and mechanical heads is deceptive and misleading.

Thanks for posting this. It should be bumped to the top every day.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't worry about that at all. I have different bows for arrow weights and purposes.
Because of the extreme weight differences. My hunting arrows weigh 543 grains, my 3d arrows are 350 grains, my indoor arrows are 320 grain .My practice arrows are all differnet.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

If you can't hit your target with the first shot it won't matter what you group in the back yard, a second shot in the field is not likely. Know your equipment and what it can do, then work on yourself.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Rev....

You could shoot all of those arrows from the same bow.....and shoot them well....IF they were spined, correctly.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

After our discussion on our previous post last week I have an update. My bow was tuned early this month, paper tuned, d-loop set at proper knock point, rest set, etc.

After the comments I read on the thread, I have been trying to shoot my Muzzy's (preferreded BH) with the confidence and accuracy from my MBH.

I have actually learned that tuning my arrows was much more productive than trying the multiple points of tuning the bow.

Make sure that your arrows are spined correctly to your DW, DL, arrow tip weight, etc. A simple o-ring, similar to what holds my MBH closed is all it took for me to get my Muzzy's flying good.

One of my issues was that my DW and DL put me on the cusp of a Gold Tip 5575 and a 7595. The 7595 with a better +/- straightness tolerance combined with how I set my inserts so my BH blades were at 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00. With the o-ring on and the BH screwed to the insert with maximum pressure on the o-ring after a touch of super glue on the BH screw my hunting arrows are set, and Im shooting an acceptable grouping with my FBH. I believe now that arrow tuning is just as key as bow tuning.

If you want the BH to go where you want, its most important to get the right spine, weight, and straightness tolerance to even start you in the right direction.

Some obviously will disagree, but at least now I am shooting awesome grouping with my muzzy's...something I couldnt do with my other arrow set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.