Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Little upset

Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I think.

Yes, the man is sabatoging your land.

He plants the corn to draw in the deer. That corn is probably one of the main food sources of the area.

He tills the corn under to make it easier to draw deer to where he wants them to be.(his property)

You siad it yourself. "deer hate that"

He knows this too.

If this guy is an antler addict and has had deer in magazines, he knows how to up the odds.

Leaving the hay grow up decreases the odds you will even see the deer. I'm assuming he knowws you like to hunt the hay fields. If you can't see them, you won't be shooting "his deer".

How do you solve this? You will have to have a civil chat with him. Tell him that you do not want the corn plowed under and want the hay cut down. Tell him if he can't do things your way, maybe it is time to part ways. Thank him and shake his hand.

Personally, I'd find any way i could to lose this guy and get the other guy to do it.

Sounds like you could be sitting on a gold mine and not know it.

(Oh, what I'd do if I had such a piece of land)
Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
What would you do? In Wisconsin we have 340 acre farm. Its mainly a hobby farm with over a hundred minature horses. We let our Neighbor farm the land for free as long as he gives us the first cutting of hay. This year he put 80 acres in corn and about 30 in hay. The problem is my neighbor is a die hard bowhunter. He has been in North American Whitetail a couple of times and is addicted to antlers.

Last year he only got one cutting of hay off our land and let it get about waste high. And so far he is on the same tract this year. Yeah granted he puts in an 80 acre food plot for us but I like to bowhunt the hay fields early in the season. And they are crap when its waste high. I don't want to think that he is trying to sabotage the land but when he takes the corn off he tills the crop under. Deer hate that. I have a friend that farms near by and is always asking to farm the land but we want to stay loyal to our neighbor. Plus he is the size of Brock lesner and don't want to **** him off. Stick with him or change.

I think it's time he look for a different place to farm. One thing I've found out is that there are alot of hunters out there that are very sellfish. I know it sucks to say this, but I always thought of bowhunters as a botherhood, but many hunters just don't care!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone on here, go talk to him and try to work things out with him. If he doesn't want to do it your way let your other friend farm it.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
This is what I think.

He plants the corn to draw in the deer. That corn is probably one of the main food sources of the area.

He tills the corn under to make it easier to draw deer to where he wants them to be.(his property)

He knows this too.

If this guy is an antler addict and has had deer in magazines, he knows how to up the odds.

Leaving the hay grow up decreases the odds you will even see the deer. I'm assuming he knowws you like to hunt the hay fields. If you can't see them, you won't be shooting "his deer".

How do you solve this? You will have to have a civil chat with him. Tell him that you do not want the corn plowed under and want the hay cut down. Tell him if he can't do things your way, maybe it is time to part ways. Thank him and shake his hand.

Personally, I'd find any way i could to lose this guy and get the other guy to do it.

+1! I agree 100%
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
Where in WI are you again? 110 aces and you can't find someone to rent it? Also not to mention the 80 acres of food plot. Why such a big food plot. Thats 290 acres of field not including the 100 horse horse pen that I'm asuming has a big pasture for them? How much woods do you have doesn't seem like a ton? Sounds like you aren't getting a heck of alot out of your 300 acresI'm sure you could find a farmer to pay for those acres and still get a first cutting of hay off it. Find a farmer to put in a rotation of about 30 acres beans, 30 arces corn, and 40 acres hay. Then take the 80 acre food plot and leave it or put in a 20 acres beans 20 acres corn and the rest food plot and you'll have a deer haven. Just request that you first cutting of hay and that they leave the plowing until spring. I'm sure you could find a farmer to do something like that still get 30-60 dollars an acre for the beans and corn. Would pay some bills and taxes and you'd be getting alot more out of your land..... Like said its your land and you can do what you want with it. If the other guy doesnt want to follow the plan then find someone who will. I gaurantee there would atleast be a farmer who would follow your plan for a first cutting of hay but you can do much better than that. The guy is making good money off your land right now with 80 acres corn with the corn prices right now and not renting and low cost of bailing you 30 acres of hay once. You'll figure it out. Good luck. WCL
I apologize, when I said 80 acre food plot, I ment the corn he put in this year. Its like a food plot to us because the deer destroy it and it doesn't bother us. It sounds selfish but its how I look at it. There is only 110 acres of fields that he farms. Its all split up There's a couple 7 acre fields, 27 acre field, 32 and 35 acre field, then the rest is woods and two 20 acre marsh/red brush. The family didn't buy the farm to make money, its more of a hobby. And the land was too good to pass up at the time and since God isn't making any more land we figured it would be nice for the future.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
This is what I think.

He knows this too.

That is what I was thinking. Honestly when I first wrote this I was upset and after reading and talking to some people. Im just spoiled rotten. I should be thankful for having some land to hunt. Yes Im in charge of the hunting. Grandpa doesn't hunt and my father once in awhile will hunt if he can. Otherwise its just me and occasionally my father. Even though the neighbor has been doing this for awhile we still end up taking a couple nice bucks and some does off the property. So I guess as long as we are seeing deer I might just leave it alone because I believe in Karma. And one day, who knows the neighbor's big boys will be following our little hot does during the rut. And hopefully the slicktrick will find its mark
Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
That is what I was thinking. Honestly when I first wrote this I was upset and after reading and talking to some people. Im just spoiled rotten. I should be thankful for having some land to hunt. Yes Im in charge of the hunting. Grandpa doesn't hunt and my father once in awhile will hunt if he can. Otherwise its just me and occasionally my father. Even though the neighbor has been doing this for awhile we still end up taking a couple nice bucks and some does off the property. So I guess as long as we are seeing deer I might just leave it alone because I believe in Karma. And one day, who knows the neighbor's big boys will be following our little hot does during the rut. And hopefully the slicktrick will find its mark
It still wouldn't create bad karma if you said to the guy something to the effect, "Could you do me a favor and not till the corn field under until spring. I'd really like it better if it was done this way because it runs the deer off when it's tilled under in the fall". Tell him that the property was bought with the intention of creating memories with your dad and that you were hoping to improve the hunting. If the guys that big of a deer hunter I'm sure he'd understand.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
It still wouldn't create bad karma if you said to the guy something to the effect, "Could you do me a favor and not till the corn field under until spring. I'd really like it better if it was done this way because it runs the deer off when it's tilled under in the fall". Tell him that the property was bought with the intention of creating memories with your dad and that you were hoping to improve the hunting. If the guys that big of a deer hunter I'm sure he'd understand.
My neighbor is so crazy about antlers, he put his own brother in the hospital over a 150 inch eight pointer that his brother shot on his "fathers" land and then went to jail over it. That was 10 years ok, then he went to jail again three years ago after he punched his brother, broke his bow, glasses and binocks.

See My neighbor is like any typical family in WI or Midwest. The boys were taught to grow up, buy the farm from the parents and then when their boys got older they were supposed to buy it from them. It was a way the parents could retire and stay busy if they wanted too. Since the one brother (my neighbor) decided to stick around he bought part of the farm from his parents and the other brother left and didn't want any part of the farm but still wanted to hunt his father's land. So the father didn't sell all of his land only 3/4 of it. Well my neighbor doesn't think that was right. So if my neighbor catch's his brother on his land. You know what hits the fan. It's sad but true. If he doesn't do what we want with the field, I guess it's not the end of the world, but I will be asking someone else to take it over.