HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Experience with Lone Wolf hang on Stand and Sticks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/2976-experience-lone-wolf-hang-stand-sticks.html)

TWANG 01-24-2002 05:54 AM

Experience with Lone Wolf hang on Stand and Sticks

Trying to get some opinions from anyone who has experienced the Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on Stand and the Climbing Sticks. Looks like a great pack in system with the stand at 10.5 lbs. and 3 sets of sticks (16 feet) weighing 7.5 lbs. Anyone familiar with these? http://www.lonewolfstands.com/alphah...5&dolPrice=289

davidmil 01-24-2002 07:02 AM

RE: Experience with Lone Wolf hang on Stand and Sticks

I have a set of the climbing sticks and am not particularly fond of them. However, I do have the older style with the straps that have a loop in them that go over some "S" Hooks. That's the part I hate most. I don't like the clangy buckles either. The new sticks have a big knob that the straps go over. Much more secure. 3 Sticks just doesn't get you very high in a tree. I have 4. Quite expensive for some sticks when I bought them. Around $100 plus I believe. I used them in conjunction with a 6 1/2 pound loggy hang on a few times. I haven't used them in 3 or 4 years. I prefer to carry my API climber instead.

Edited by - davidmil on 01/24/2002 08:03:44

Two Beards 01-24-2002 11:15 AM

I can't speak of the older Lone Wolf sticks, but the newer sticks are awesome. I use a set of 4 (3 just wasn't high enough-13-14 ft). They are light(2 1/2 lbs ea.), easy/quick to hang, safe and very quiet. They also snap together...however,I still use a small bungee around them while going to my stand site, just to make sure they don't loosen. I had purchased the Alpha Hang-on stand, but preferred my Chippewa hang ons instead...so I sold it to my brother and bought another Chippewa. It is a good hang-on, but the Chippewa is easier to hang and feels more solid in the tree. I take mine down after every hunt (every day :) so the simple system is just what I was looking for.

TB

DeerThug 01-24-2002 12:38 PM

I can't say anything on the sticks but I'm really impressed with the Lone Wolf hang on. My hunting partner uses this stand and I have been using an API stand. When the weather turns cold, my stand will "creak" some. The Lone Wolf is totally silent. I've been there while the Lone Wolf was hung too. Easy, light and silent. No matter how you slice it, it's a great stand.

TWANG 01-24-2002 01:17 PM

Thanks guys!!

Two Beards, Whats that Chippewa weigh? Is it comfortable to haul in and out? Can you explain how its easier to hang? THANKS I'll see if I can find a website for them.

lemond33 01-24-2002 07:15 PM

i am the man u want to talk to...i have the whole system and it is the ultimate...i used them and they work...the sticks attach with ease..u pull them tight and pull down on them and u r in...step on the thing and hang the next one. when u hang the stand...that can be a little hairy, so make sure u have it really tight...if u r hanging it with the hook...pull the platform down and then the seat:)

Two Beards 01-25-2002 01:55 AM

TWANG...there are different models available.The one I use the most is the Chief model...9 1/2 lbs. w/220 lb. wgt. limit

A couple of years ago I spoke with Stan Potts after a whitetail seminar he had given and asked him what kind of set up he used and might recommend. He said he used Lone Wolf climbing sticks and Chippewa treestands...I've used nothing else since...great combination.I can put up 4 sticks and my stand in 10 minutes...

The website should help you out:
http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/

Oh yeh...it has backstraps that hang from the platform that work very well. A welded link chain attaches around the tree with a "S" hook and then V brackets on the back of the stand slip over the chain...pics on the website will explain better than I can and there is a phone no. on there to call if you have questions.The stands run just under $200...I don't think they list any prices on their site.

Hope this helps...they are definitely work a look.

TB

ILL BUCK 01-25-2002 02:39 AM

Hey two beards, there are no prices on the web site. How much is the chief stand ??

Edited by - ILL BUCK on 01/25/2002 03:40:24

TWANG 01-25-2002 05:12 AM

Thanks Two Beards and lemond33. I found the website after I posted yesterday. I did notice that they post no prices so thanks for the price quote! One thing that confused me somewhat is that they show the separate rigging harness as chains or belt?. Do you have an option on the separate rigging harnesses, or does the stand come with the chain harness and then the spares you purchase are belts? Which do you have Two Beards? Why did you like the Chippewa better than the Alpha Hang on?? Thanks!

Two Beards 01-26-2002 10:31 AM

Ill Buck-TWANG
Sorry not to get back to sooner...I'm at a friends in San Diego.

Give or take $10 I paid about $190 ea.(I believe they list for $194.95) for all 3 of my stands. Three years ago(before the Chief was available) my brother and I bought the Wedge-Loc model...I bought a second the next year...last summer while trying to put a good setup together for my dad I found out they had come out with the Chief...when his stand came I knew that was what I was looking for (everything the Wedge-Loc had except a lighter weight limit and it only weighed 9 1/2 lbs!). My dad is 69, and he can put it up and take it down himself...if it wasn't safe and easy to put up I never would have recommended it to him. You will need a climbing belt so you can use both hands, although everyone should use one with EVERY stand they put up.

TWANG,the separate rigging harness confused me also, but each of my stands came with a chain...that is what I would recommend you ask for. To hang the Chippewas,all you do is wrap the chain around the tree and hook it...then put the V brackets of the stand over the rubber coated part of the chain...quick,quiet and safe...I like that combination:).I do however use a small ratchet around the bottom of ALL my treestands for extra stability and insurance...only takes a minute or two. The adjustable platform(3 levels) was the first I had seen and very simple. To be honest...I just wasn't near as comfortable hanging and standing on the Alpha Hang-On as the Chippewa. If you could look at the two side by side...I think you would agree with me. Like I mentioned before, call their 800 number and ask them the same questions you ask me. A couple own and run the company, I think he used to run a machine shop at one time. Three of my friends that I bowhunt with bought the sticks and Chief stand after seeing my setup...they all love them!

TB

TWANG 01-26-2002 04:20 PM

Thanks TB!! Just one more question. Are you able to strap the Lone Wolf sticks onto the Chief similar to what Lone Wolf shows on their website with the Alpha Hang-On+Sticks. I think that they only show two sticks in the pic,.... are you able to pack 4? How does all that carry comfort wise etc? Thanks again TB

Edited by - TWANG on 01/26/2002 17:27:46

bloodtrail1 01-26-2002 10:28 PM

I bought the alpha hang on stand and climbing sticks this year and Im buying another alpha hang on and sticks before next season! Best stand Ive owned, and the sticks are great!

Twasrick 01-26-2002 10:34 PM

Twang , what part of wisconsin do you hunt

Two Beards 01-27-2002 01:04 AM

TWANG, When ordering your Lone Wolf sticks get the shoulder carry strap they offer(I think it costs about $9).After I snap my 4 sticks together and secure them with a small bungee cord, the shoulder strap fits around both ends of the sticks for easy carrying. In my normal setup I like to wrap the shoulder straps of my backpack over the treestand and carry both at once....then I carry my sticks(w/shoulder strap) on one shoulder and my bow in the other hand.So, to answer your question, no you can't attach the sticks to the Chippewa...but even if I could I'd still carry my backpack on my treestand. Good Luck!

TB