HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What does the "PAST" mean to you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/297440-what-does-past-mean-you.html)

MichiganWhitetails74 07-07-2009 06:54 PM

What does the "PAST" mean to you?

I've been struggling hard lately reflecting backon my past hunting experiences over the last 20 years. Some of my greatest memories were when I was walking the woods with a long bow shooting at everything with a cedar and a blunt.

I'm just so busy lately with family, job, etc.

Just turned 35 and I'm trying to figure out how to get back to shooting stumps and having raw fingers.... Do you ever have this feeling? I've seen alot of land and taken some big game (Now that I have an income)but I just feel like I need to get back to my roots ....but I just can't seem to find the time.

In 2009, I'm going to make a deal with myself. I'm gonna walk alone with a bow and just fling some arrows like I did when I was 4 foot and 11 years old. No excuses...I'm gonna get my arse together and just do it.

Do you ever think about these things? Getting back to your roots?

Brian

magicman54494 07-07-2009 07:24 PM

RE: What does the "PAST" mean to you?

I enjoy thinking about the past but I am looking more forward to the great times yet to come.

ahunter55 07-07-2009 07:35 PM

This is the start of my 53rd year of Bowhunting&I am nearing the 68 year old mark. I "DO" remember walking 2 or miles just to go stump shooting with my home made long bow & cedar arrowsI fletched by hand& by myself because very few people shot bows then in my area. When I found out about a local club they probably had 15 members. The club went Bowhunting small game & Biggame together & these were some of the greatest times I (as a kid) ever had.
Since then,I have made many a Bowhunting journy forBiggame that many may only dream of asI did as a kid. I had no idea Bowhunting would be such a great part of my life.I took my 1st Deer at 35 yds. & age 16 (my 2nd year of Biggame bowhunting-1958) with a home made cedar arrow tipped with a MA3 Blade, 45# recurve Eddings Cadet Bow.I shot various recurves that accounted for 38 Biggame animals being shot barebow (instictive-fingers & no sights) wild Boar, Whitetails, Black Bear,& a Goat along with many Rabbits & Squirrells.
Since then my compound (Darton since mid 70s & Rocky Mountain 3 Blade Broadheads) have traveled many places taking Elk, Black Bears, Whitetails, Mule Deer, Fallow Deer, Caribou, Wild Hogs, Sheep &Buffalo. I managed to be a pretty decent tourny shooter back in the 70s winning a few State Championships & 1 Great Lakes Sectional in my division.
I don't have the urge to go roving (stump shooting) but do enjoy the solitude& peace a Deer Stand can bring you.
My greatest things of the past are the BowhuntersI have shared a campfire with that just love the sport & don't worry about how big a rack is. Myjoy now comes from sharing this sport with one of my sons & one of my daughters& my 10 year old G-son that will be joining me on occassion.

YooperMike 07-08-2009 05:07 AM

I'm only 27, but I do have some memories of how it was in the "past." I think the thing that sticks out the most to me right now is the time we used to have. When we (my brother and I) were 12-13 years old, my dad would take us up to camp on Friday after school, then we would head back home on Sunday night. We did this every weekend from Sept 15 on through x-mas. My god what I would give to spend that kind of time in the woods now, but life gets in the way of that kind of stuff. Also,I think hunting was way simpler at that age. I didn't care about scent, wind, camo, new stuff, brand names. We just threw on what we had and hit the woods. The bucks in IL are WAY bigger than anything i've ever dreamed of seeing in the Upper Peninsula, but I still miss the woods up there, regardless of deer size. I also miss hunting with my brother and dad. I get up usually two weekends a year to hunt up there, and its great, just wish I could get up there alittle more often and for longer periods of time.

stikbow26 07-09-2009 02:56 AM

Re: What does the "PAST" mean to you?

Brian I think about it all the time, But I just still love watching the flight of the arrow no matter where I am shooting or what I am shooting. Just because i am not in the woods It I still just love watching that arrow.. Those were some great times though when we young and life didn't really matter.. Walt

Schultzy 07-09-2009 08:05 PM

Just do It If that's what you want!!

The last 5 years or so I've saw a few of the guys around my area who always shot compound say the heck with It because of all the technology In the bows. This spring we did allot of stump shooting and these same guys who used to shoot the fancy compounds thanked me up and down for helping them along the way being they wanted a change. When and If the time comes, you'll do that too Brian like you once did. It's not for everyone but It's there to be had.

Good luck bud, do what you want and what feels right to you!!

bowdaddy1964 07-09-2009 11:04 PM

Brian, I too had the hankering to "get back" and remembered that I had a recurve in hiding in the cabinet, so out it came and I have sent off for feather fletching. I too miss the feel of raw fingers and the ease at witch it all comes together and just feels right on release. Make a commitment and just get out and do it! If nothing else it'll make you a better compound shooter. It is the path of the arrow, not tools to get it airborne, that we crave!

MichiganWhitetails74 07-11-2009 05:07 PM

Great Posts guys! I'm waxing some strings.

badassbowtech 07-12-2009 03:28 AM

As far as my pst hunting experiences? Nothing, thank God! I went 25 years of bowhunting without killing a deer. And then finally last year, I three of them Bastards ! !

I think I finally know how to hunt, well kind of.....

ElkNutz 07-12-2009 06:39 AM

Sounds like a mid life crisis coming on. Next will be a red mustang convertable and a 18 year old lil hot blonde girlfriend in the passanger seat. :D :D

I don't think about the past experiences as much as I do the regrets for not doing something or the way it all went down if I did.