Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to choose a Bow? >

How to choose a Bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to choose a Bow?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default How to choose a Bow?

How do youchoose the bow thats right for you? I have never owned any type of bow but a crossbow and bought it last year and would like to get a compound bow. I bought thecrossbow thinking it would be nice and easy to use in the climber but its big, heavy and cant reload in the stand. I have been looking at the Bowtech DiamondStud looks like a pretty nice bow and not to hard on the pocket book, any help will be appretiated.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Default RE: How to choose a Bow?

I would recommend hitting up a local shop to find out your draw length and a draw weight you're able to comfortably pull. After you find these things out, shoot as many different bows as you can. Every bow shoots a little bit differently (in terms of feel in the shooter's hand) and everyone prefers a different feel. If possible find a shop that has a large selection that way you can shoot a couple bows head to head once you have them narrowed down to your price range. Most all of the companies out there right now make great products, you do get what you pay for with some features - but a dead deer is a dead deer and the cheapest, most low end bow will still kill deer.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like thats a good excuse to make another trip to the Bass Pro I know they have a place you can shoot them, thats the only place around here that will let you shoot the bows and their 2 hours away.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Wow, that's a bit of a hike. I guess I'm blessed having several archery only stores in my area where I can shoot and try different things.

If that is the only way you can shoot a bunch, I would try to narrow down a few bows to look at specifically based on your price range - and don't forget to include the necessary accessories, ie: arrows, heads, sight, rest, quiver, release, etc. Those items often add up to be quite a bit more than what you'd expect at first glance.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

yeah im kinda looking at a ready to shoot package dealjust to kinda figure it all out then go on from there, they do have a good variety of bows to choose from so when I do go I dont want to come back empty handed even if ive got to stay there a few hours dont need to make to many trips and come back with nothing
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM

I like a lot of the ready to shoot packages, especially if the bow tech at you Bass Pro is any good at getting things adjusted right, that way you won't have to fiddle around with as much crap once you get back home (though sometimes that is the one of the fun parts of shooting)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

(though sometimes that is the one of the fun parts of shooting)
Yeah I know it right, I be gettin ill sometimes when I go to sighting my rifles in, gotta sight one in as a mater of fact been dreding it, it take me for dang ever to get me gun sighted in[:@]
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Southern Buck

(though sometimes that is the one of the fun parts of shooting)
Yeah I know it right, I be gettin ill sometimes when I go to sighting my rifles in, gotta sight one in as a mater of fact been dreding it, it take me for dang ever to get me gun sighted in[:@]
Have you thought about getting one of the laser bore sighters? I have a good friend that swears by them and he had my last rifle sighted in three shots once we had it bore sighted with the laser.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

yeah I bought one of them about 3 months ago I hope it works im the worlds worst at sighting rifles in ill waste a box of 20 easy [:@]
Old 07-02-2009, 05:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Southern Buck

yeah I bought one of them about 3 months ago I hope it works im the worlds worst at sighting rifles in ill waste a box of 20 easy [:@]
I hear that - my hunting rifle is an old Mauser Argentine 7.65mm - odd ball caliber - costs a little over $1 a round. Doesn't take too many shots to realize how nice a quick sight-in really is.

Quick Reply: How to choose a Bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.