Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elk solo....who's done it, any tips??? >

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

This rate is used to burn body fat, any rate above 130 starts to burn muscle tissue, which for my work out isn't what I am trying to do. Probably why you don't see runners or road bikers with any sort of muscle mass.

There was a good article in Huntin' Fool (I believe) about long and steady workouts to increase ones VO2. Most believe you need short full-out 20 minute workouts, which isn't the case.

I am no expert in exercise, but since heading out west since 1995, I haven't been limited because I was out of shape, but as GNMAT says, it may not be universal to all.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Believe it or not, you will get better results walking on a treadmill for 40-50 minutes at a 10% incline (keeping your heart rate below 130) than you will 20 minutes of running or an "All Out" workout on an ellipitical trainer. This is something that is needed to be done everyday, but only 3-4 days a week.
I don't know where this comes from, but it's "at best" misleading. Heart rate of 130?......for who? That can't be universal. Best thing you can do is get your heart rate to 80% for at least 20 minutes (preferrably 30+) EVERY day. You can't add the ability to increase yourV02 intakeif you're not taxing yourself.

OHbow...I'll be out with Will in '10. Look us up if you're gonna be in the area. Stay safe.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Banned

I haven't been limited because I was out of shape
I'll say the above is impossible.

You might have successfully adjusted your hunting around not being in shape, but to say it didn't limit you?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

How high do you think sprinters get their heart rates up?

Long distance runners don't have muscle mass because it's hard to carry. Swimmers have fat stores because it makes them more buoyant. The human body is amazing. But if you think there's an easy way out (like walking is better for your fitness than running), you're being duped.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned

I can't think of a single thing that NOT being in better shape isn't a limitation.

Not a single thing
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't think of a single thing that NOT being in better shape isn't a limitation.
If I put my double negative hat on.....I get that (just kidding.....kinda).

I agree with your thought.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back on track. I've done it a few times and it's a ball buster if you get 1. The last Elk I packed out by myself was 4.5 miles away from my truck. Most of the journey was downhill but that's harder on your knees than going up hill. It's no picnic and you have to have a saftey plan just in case. The personal GPS thing and a topo map and compass are must tools when going by yourself.

Getting into shape is a great idea but don't kid yourself there is nothing you can do for the lack of oxygen you are going to experiance at 10,000 ft. Don't let it scare you just be prepared for it. Good Luck
Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

This rate is used to burn body fat, any rate above 130 starts to burn muscle tissue, which for my work out isn't what I am trying to do. Probably why you don't see runners or road bikers with any sort of muscle mass.

There was a good article in Huntin' Fool (I believe) about long and steady workouts to increase ones VO2. Most believe you need short full-out 20 minute workouts, which isn't the case.

I am no expert in exercise, but since heading out west since 1995, I haven't been limited because I was out of shape, but as GNMAT says, it may not be universal to all.
Rob,
I can see what you're talking about, but I also see the other sides of the argument as well. I know that PERSONAL DRIVE is often times far more important than just about anything, and if you're not MOTIVATED to do whatever, you're not going to be able or put forth the energy to do it. In all honesty, the 10,000ft altitude kicks ALL OUR SEA LEVEL butts for the first few days, there ain't no way around it, but if you keep driving on, I believe you adapt better. Hydration is certainly a VERY important factor as well, as is proper nutrition to include electrolytes and such. I've always had good "farm strength" and endurance, as I was raised working, cutting wood, splitting wood, working around the house, working for my dad's construction company, etc. My lungs are my biggest set-back, and I can do moderate exercise almost "endlessly" but in those mountains, where the air is thin, I tire much easier as my body is deprived of the oxygen.

Now when talking about HR's etc, many of those long distance bikers, triathletes, marathon runners, etc, may only be having a HR around 120-150 when they are running, biking, swimming, whatever, but when you consider their baseline HR's are only in the 30's in MANY cases, 120-150 is HIGH, like 200+ for a person in "decent" shape. And heavy workouts repeatedly certainly deplete muscles, and don't allow proper time for restoration as well, that is part of why many guys will lose 10-15# during their 7-10day elk hunts, because they are working their bodies out int a "BIG" way, also probably getting "anaerobic" workout much earlier than at sea level since the oxygen supply is so much lower. I know I lost about 10#, and came home RIPPED from my last trip out, but in short order....2 months, I found all of those pounds back. Likewise, I'll probably drop 10-15# this time out, and in some ways, I believe having a little extra fat on the body is a little bit of an advantage as a fall back energy source. Especially for heavy lifting hauling, etc. At this point, I'm working out a busted ankle, so I'm in the air about my date if things are in better shape within the next 2 weeks, but I took an air cast into the mountains with me in '05 as well recovering from the worst grade sprain you can possibly get, and spending almost 5 months from Nov. - April in an immobilizer boot, I was fine, I just have a little less time to get it together this time, but also a little less damage to heal up.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Ohbowhntr, I don't want my opinion to be seen as an argurement, but I am just sharing what I have done based on others I know that do more grueling hunts than I have done. For me, it probably can be refined, but it works for me.

Take a look at the current issue of Bugle Magazine (July-August 2009) on page 25 there is an article written by Cameron Hanes about Backcountry Condition...below are some clips of the article. Now I am sure many here won't discount the value Cam has on conditioning and spending days enjoying the backcountry..he is a great athlete and does include running in his routine. The key is be realistic as to where you are in your conditioning. If you don't spend alot of time normally working out, but doing something is better than doing nothing. Personally I want to reduce my body, while working to build muscle, which running will defeat that, probably why body builders don't run, but do 50 minute cardio along with 50-60 minute weight training routine along with strict meal plans.

So far since 4/7 I went from 242 to 216 and mostly I can say that is diet. Being 6'3", I don't want to be tall and thin, but now I have less haul around.

I found this article reinforcing what I have practiced for most of my years. The last year, I didn't do much of a routine and I could tell the difference. Being in shape will help you enjoy the hunt, and all it costs is a little bit of time.

Basically he consulted with Neal Henderson, who is a professional athlete himself, did some testing on Cameron on is VO2. He thinks that hunters are a huge group of people who have very little information on what our bodies are capable of.

Slow and Steady

Henderson gave me some great advice on how the average guy can tailer his workouts to accommodate long, grueling hunts that require serious endurance. What he suggests is not over-the-top, but is your best bet to becoming a formidable mountain hunter.

I was suprised to learn you don't need to kill yourself getting in shape for hunting. Henderson, who has tested some of world's greatest athletes, says that most of their workouts are done at "conversation" pace, meaning the can have a conversation while running. "Even many Olympians" he says, "work out at what might be considered a comfortable pace 90 percent of the time. Hard is not always better." You don't have to be a world-class athlete to build up amazing endurance. Henderson suggests doing long, comfortable workouts (45 or more minutes) three or four days a week and then one day of the week do a harder fast-paced, workout.

If you have been doing nothing recently, go for a brisk walk. There's no point in jogging if you can't go for a brisk walk. But of course, many people do, and I have made this mistake myself a number of times. The problem with going overboard right out of the gate is you get too sore or could hurt yourself.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

How high do you think sprinters get their heart rates up?

Long distance runners don't have muscle mass because it's hard to carry. Swimmers have fat stores because it makes them more buoyant. The human body is amazing. But if you think there's an easy way out (like walking is better for your fitness than running), you're being duped.