Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elk solo....who's done it, any tips??? >

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Doug,

Make sure I have your cell number and give me a call everyday when your out of the woods. File a flight plan so we know where to look. Again, I have guys coming this way. You might be able to group in with them. PM me your dates....

Some very sound advice here!
Will,
I'm not planning on having cell service, that's part of why I want to be there!!! But I'll PM you my number, I might be able to pick your brain and get some ideas. I've already pre-marked a map and saved it for the wife to be able to have an idea of where I'll be and I'll log some coordinates to where specifically I'll be. I think most of your guys are later in September, whereas I'm gonna be there the first 8-10 days of September, Will.I may consider that option next year, but I already have the time off from work approved right now.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to you, that is a dream of mine. Take lots of pics!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

Good luck to you, that is a dream of mine. Take lots of pics!
Thanks AJ, I'll need LUCK in my favor, as far as pic's, I'm taking a 2GB card in my camera, so I will have plenty of pics!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

Pictures you will take and with the cell phones, it is sort of nice when they don't work..

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Doug,

Make sure I have your cell number and give me a call everyday when your out of the woods. File a flight plan so we know where to look. Again, I have guys coming this way. You might be able to group in with them. PM me your dates....

Some very sound advice here!
Will,
I'm not planning on having cell service, that's part of why I want to be there!!! But I'll PM you my number, I might be able to pick your brain and get some ideas. I've already pre-marked a map and saved it for the wife to be able to have an idea of where I'll be and I'll log some coordinates to where specifically I'll be. I think most of your guys are later in September, whereas I'm gonna be there the first 8-10 days of September, Will.I may consider that option next year, but I already have the time off from work approved right now.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Banned

OHbowhntr do the best you can do. If you can lose even 5 pounds between now and your hunt, that will help your body/knees too (unless you're already in the <10% body fat area) ... lose 10,15 pounds or more and it might make a big difference for you.

You're not new to the backpack hunting deal, I can see that. Good thread to pass information around though no doubt. ave you got a SPOT or other type device ?

I was elk hunting unit 76 one year with 2 other guys and llamas. We had hiked too far back in (yeah, you can go too far) and were making our way out and back to the truck to enter into another area. I hiked .... I dunno, by GPS it was 18 miles according to my buddy, about 14 hours from daylight to dark and I neglected my body that day. Every body is different, mine can go a long way/time without water/fluids. I've always been that way. Anyway, we were at 10,000 most of the hike, up and over a 12,500 peak and at about 1-2 pm I had a terrible chaffing on my inside thighs. Bad. It wasn't long after that I quit feeling it, and I felt great during the last few hours of that hike, even to the point of literally running up the last 100 yards of the hike to the truck with the pack and all. I was in pretty dang good shape, mid-30's ...... and in the following 15 minutes I crashed and burned like I never imagined. My fingers and hands curled up in twisted balls, I was rocking back and forth in the front seat, eyes half rolled up in my head .... I've never been anything likethat before. We had a Dr Pepper - in a can - and I couldn't open it so the driver did and when he placed it in my hands I remember forcing my fingers open, and then I half crushed the can when I gripped it. First drink I puked everywhere on his new truck, but he kept talking to me calmly, and encouraging me to sip/drink. We were 25 miles from Pagosa Springs, dropping altitude quickly. By the time we reached the first gas station, I had recovered a bit. I had my wits, my motor skills had returned a bit .... long story shortened I was dehydrated to the extreme and hypoglycemic as well with an ultra low blood sugar to the point of diabetic coma type situation. Bad. Really bad.

In retrospect, what if that had happened 1/4 mile from the truck? My partners couldn't have carried me, not after that kind of day. What if I'd been alone? What if we'd not had the Dr Pepper (the sugar helped me)? What if instead of fighting it, I had simply fell asleep, the guys I was with would have never known.

I've elk hunted, camped, backpacked etc a lot. That hunt, that time, I was careless, stupid and any number of things could have happened. Since that experience I've elk hunted again, but never alone. If/when I ever DO go it alone, and I still have a very strong desire to want to, I'll buy a tool like a SPOT and that way, there is another option for me if things go badly.

SPOT™ Satellite Personal Messanger
If your outdoor adventures take you to remote areas, the Satellite Personal Outdoor Tracker (SPOT) could be a lifesaver. It's the world's first satellite messenger capable of sending alerts to family, friends or a 911 center. The 911 button sends your coordinates to North American authorities every five minutes until the alert is canceled. The unit's HELP button sends a personalized note, current location coordinates and a link to a Google Map™ to up to five cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses if you need assistance, but don't require emergency services or immediate rescue. Built to handle extreme conditions, SPOT is water-resistant to 3-1/2 ft., buoyant, rated to handle salt, fog, and humidity; it operates in temperatures from -40°F to 185°F and at altitudes ranging from -300 ft. to 21,300 ft.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

This story made me recall a situation a few years ago. My buddy and I had pulled out of camp around 4am to get over the ridge which was something around 12,000 - 12,500. We decided to hunt the morning and make the climb around 10am. We made it close to the top around 2pm and we were beat !! At that point we decided not to go over but to head back towards camp and not the way we came....again long story short we were out of water before we even came off the top. On the way back, not far from camp,the walk became harder and harder (as it always seems), my friend had a problem with cramping, blurry vision, etc...that night in camp he crashed hard as well....his stomach couldn't hold water or food...long story short he was dehydrated as well. It took a whole day after for him to get back to somewhat normal.

Your story as mine, is a reminder of how dangerous the back country can be without proper care. Probably one reason I prefer to have a partner to hunt with...it could save your life.

stealthycat....great points

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

If you can lose even 5 pounds between now and your hunt, that will help your body/knees too (unless you're already in the <10% body fat area) ... lose 10,15 pounds or more and it might make a big difference for you.

long story shortened I was dehydrated to the extreme and hypoglycemic as well with an ultra low blood sugar to the point of diabetic coma type situation. Bad. Really bad.

SPOT™ Satellite Personal Messanger
If your outdoor adventures take you to remote areas, the Satellite Personal Outdoor Tracker (SPOT) could be a lifesaver. It's the world's first satellite messenger capable of sending alerts to family, friends or a 911 center. The 911 button sends your coordinates to North American authorities every five minutes until the alert is canceled. The unit's HELP button sends a personalized note, current location coordinates and a link to a Google Map™ to up to five cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses if you need assistance, but don't require emergency services or immediate rescue. Built to handle extreme conditions, SPOT is water-resistant to 3-1/2 ft., buoyant, rated to handle salt, fog, and humidity; it operates in temperatures from -40°F to 185°F and at altitudes ranging from -300 ft. to 21,300 ft.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

... as far as pic's, I'm taking a 2GB card in my camera, so I will have plenty of pics!!!
Memory's extremely cheap these days, and it takes up absolutely no space. Take a couple extra SD cards; it's amazing how quickly you can fill one up out there...
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know about elk alone , alot of work, best to hunt with someone , footwear is critical . last one I shot I had 5 guys help , and we could drive the truck were he was , still not easy . A thousand pound elk is far different than a 200 pound deer .
Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Banned

elkhuntinut at high altitude, you sweat and use water and never realize because it evaporates quickly. Drink every opportunity you get. Eat the way your body needs you to.

Another story ...... same hunt, we were camped and right at dark a nasty storm blows in. As it is hitting, these two hikers come down the trail, a young married couple. We're on a little lake on a hogsback, and on the off-wind side, and they set up a dink tent right on the ridge, wind whipping their tent like mad. Mid to upper 30 degree temps, howling winds and rain ...... about 30 minutes go by and here the guy comes.

Tennis shoes, light clothes, one sleeping back, both are wet, no way to start a fire ........ long story short again we got 'em a fire built, BELOW the ridge, dried their clothes under the protection of a couple of big tree's, hot food, got 'em going at breakfast so they could hike back ....... moral is BE PREPARED, think ahead on what you might need or run into. They didn't - they'd have been in for a terribly long night had they been out there alone.

A thousand pound elk is far different than a 200 pound deer .
Most elk are 500-600 pounds ........ I've seen one elk that would have pushed 800-900 pounds and I killed it, most elk never begin to reach that size though.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Believe it or not, you will get better results walking on a treadmill for 40-50 minutes at a 10% incline (keeping your heart rate below 130) than you will 20 minutes of running or an "All Out" workout on an ellipitical trainer. This is something that is needed to be done everyday, but only 3-4 days a week.
I don't know where this comes from, but it's "at best" misleading. Heart rate of 130?......for who? That can't be universal. Best thing you can do is get your heart rate to 80% for at least 20 minutes (preferrably 30+) EVERY day. You can't add the ability to increase yourV02 intakeif you're not taxing yourself.

OHbow...I'll be out with Will in '10. Look us up if you're gonna be in the area. Stay safe.

Quick Reply: Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.