Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads >

Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

I shoot NAP mechanicals Spitfires with good success from a crossbow. However, by the time I get through practicing, qualifying, and hunting, I go through many broad heads. At the excessive price of the Spitfires, I need to find better value for my dollar. I do follow the rule once you take a deer with a broad head it is too dull to use again. Maybe I am too cautious. I've never been too good at sharpening.

I am considering moving to fixedblade Thunderheads. What downside do you see with this change? It appears that they fly the same though I was expecting a drop off to the left. I have been told that fixed works better on a deer that is quartering.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Flight with Broadheads on a crossbow bolt can be tricky. I am currently building crossbow bolts with extreme FOC built in which will help with better flight, smaller groups, and increased penetration.

I hope to have them on the website soon! I would not think a huge amount of practice is necessary with a crossbow once you are setup and sighted in.

Dan
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeer
I have been told that fixed works better on a deer that is quartering.
Not necessarily. That's totally dependent upon which mech you're using. I'm not familiar with the Spitfire, but I know I've taken some hard quartering shots with my Grim Reapers and had no problems. It depends on how far the point extends past the closed blades.

I shoot NAP mechanicals Spitfires with good success from a crossbow. However, by the time I get through practicing, qualifying, and hunting, I go through many broad heads. At the excessive price of the Spitfires, I need to find better value for my dollar. I do follow the rule once you take a deer with a broad head it is too dull to use again. Maybe I am too cautious. I've never been too good at sharpening.
Again, I'm not sure about the Spitfires, but Grim Reaper makes some sort of "gizmo" that goes on and keeps the blades closed for practice. I didn't know this until my brother told me about it. Also, the replacement blades aren't too expensive. To be honest, though, I never really practice with them. They fly so much like the FPs that before I go hunting, I just put them on, make sure they are functioning properly, spin them to make sure they are mounted true and put them in the quiver.

I am considering moving to fixedblade Thunderheads. What downside do you see with this change? It appears that they fly the same though I was expecting a drop off to the left.
If they are impacting the same as your Spitfires, there really is no downside. Just out of curiosity, why were you expecting a drop off to the left?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Thunderheads in my XBow...good flyers...but so are the Spitfires...
Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I've used Thunderheads exclusively with my 150 lb. crossbow, never had a problem. If it ain't broke...
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfires are devistating, i wouldnt change if i were you.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

Spitfires are devistating, i wouldnt change if i were you.
Right on. I've been using them for almost ten years and love them. Just like you said, they are devastating.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 AM

For you guys using the Spitfire's, do you always get a full size entry wound?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

They produce an excellent entry wound and an exit wound that will rival any broadhead, even the Rage. Just like said before, they are pretty devastating.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

They produce an excellent entry wound and an exit wound that will rival any broadhead, even the Rage. Just like said before, they are pretty devastating.
This is for sure...the exit wound is devastating...

Quick Reply: Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.