HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Am I Pulling Enough Weight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/295741-am-i-pulling-enough-weight.html)

lknhuntress 06-10-2009 05:27 PM

Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

Hey guys...I wanted your opinion on something:

I recently purchased a new Diamond Stud bow, and am currently pulling "comfortably" about 46 pounds. I have been doing alot of target shooting, and am accurate at 20-25 yards, and pretty good at thirty.

My question is, is this a good poundage for hunting? I know that I still have a few months before the season; should I really try to get up to like 50 or more, or just practice my accuracy where I am at now.

SGT.H 06-10-2009 05:32 PM

RE: Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

How fast are you shooting? Thats what you need to be looking at. If you did increase your poundage a few pounds, it would only increase your speed a few fps. Probably not enough to worry about.

GMMAT 06-10-2009 05:36 PM

I'll be shooting 56#'s and there's no doubt in my mind that's plenty. People have been killing deer with low poundage bows for centuries.

You'll be fine. Shoot what your state allows and what you can handle.

Good luck.

wingchaser_labs 06-10-2009 05:48 PM

46 is plenty to make a clean kill out to 30 yards..... Speed doesnt mean anything, KE is what matters and you should have plenty as long as you stick with a relatively cut on contact bh. If you can keep building lbs and shooting comfortably then keep increasing. More lbs never hurts unless it is to much for you to pull and hold back steady. You got lots of time to keep building before hunting season. I'd say build until mid august then lock er in and practice practice practice through the season. JMO. But you would be just fine where you are at now too. WCL

nchawkeye 06-10-2009 06:24 PM

It's better to be able to hold 46 pounds and shoot accuratly than to hold 56 pounds and struggle with it...When you have been in a stand a few hours and your muscles cold it is harder to pull a bow back...

I used a 45 pound recurve in the 60s and early 70s...My first compound was a Bear Whitetail and I used it set at 50 pounds...These bows would shoot through lung shot deer...Both of these bowswere slower than todays...

You'll be fine...Good Luck...

Dubbya 06-10-2009 06:55 PM

Absolutely 46lbs is ample, shoot the most you can... comfortably. A cut on contact broadhead would be a must for me... Let us know how it works!

Centaur 1 06-11-2009 05:28 AM

Accuracy is the most important thing when it comes to killing deer. If you're accurate at 25 yards, practice at longer distances and you'll get better. Also try shooting at smaller targets, I'll shoot at white golf tees, just push them straight into the target and it gives you a small white dot to aim at. What's your idea of pretty good at thirty yards?

GR8atta2d 06-11-2009 08:02 AM

While everyone makes good points and it is certainly enough to kill a deer. My take is this..If you are doing "alot" ofshooting. You are building muscles and muscle memory. Every week crank it up a little. Not enough so you really notice a difference, but over-time you will creep up to a higher weight maybe even exceed 50#.

Sure accuracy and holding steady..yada yada is still needed but your building the muscle, souse it. I shoot 70# all year, leagues, practice, hunting. Why back down..accurate is accurate, and more speed can't have a negative effect.

The .22 rifle is enough to kill deer (and has killed more than any other weapon)but you see guys in the woods with 30-06's. Smoke'em if you got'em!

GR8atta2d 06-11-2009 08:04 AM

PS..Rage is putting out a new expandable this year specifically designed for the lighter poundages shot by Women and Children.

buckeyehntr5 06-11-2009 09:09 AM

Yep, Gr8's right. I think it's called Rage 40KE 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter 2 blade.

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

PS..Rage is putting out a new expandable this year specifically designed for the lighter poundages shot by Women and Children.
I think you'll be fine shooting the lb's you are now.