Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I Pulling Enough Weight? >

Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

Only problem with that new rage is.....don't believe everything they tell ya.

1.5" STILL eats up a lot of energy, going through an animal. It's essentially the same head as the Rocky Mtn. Sniper. Rob/PA's been shooting those heads for years. Pass-thrus are NOT the norm.

I still wouldn't shoot that head (ANY of them) with less than 60FP/KE.

Get the right head.....tune your bow/arrow combo.....and you have all you need to kill NC deer and most NA big game.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

First, 46 pounds is plenty enough weight out of todays compound bows to go elk and moose hunting never mind white tail deer. The minimum to hunt elk in Colorado is 35 pounds. Year in and year out thousands of hunters across the US take deer and larger animals with less weight than you are currently pulling.

Second, I would never use any mechanical broadhead with that draw weight.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without reading any posts and swaying from my real opinion...

NO...The 46 pounds is plenty. I would stay focussed on your accuracymore than anything. And we know you can shoot that Diamond!

When you're shooting lower poundage you still need to be a bit careful. MY opinion. I would recommend not getting to high in the tree...play the wind right and look for a double lung shot at medium height. Like 12 feet.

When you go up high in the tree you're reducing your kill zone and forcing and opportunity to hit some bones with the 46 pounds...Not saying it won't do it...just a fact when it comes to shots.

Your best shot at 46 pounds will be a shot where you can punch both lungs at the right angle..

My first bow kill was 43 pounds when I was 12 years old...I was on the ground and it was a complete pass through on the lungs.

Nice post A !!

Brian
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8,

I agree...if she can..she should crank it up....

What I would not like to see...is that she is stretching and waving the bow up in the air to get 50+ pounds back to full anchor.

If she can minimize her movement and still pull the bow straight back she should be good.

You need the smallest amount of movement in the stand when hunting. You know those whitetails...they catch us.... You want to be comfy pulling that bow back with it straight outour even pointed down. I'd hate to see you stressing out waving the bow into the sky to try and get it back to full draw.

Keep hammering it out over the summer. You will develop and I'd guess you could add 5 pounds by September...challenge yourself at 50 pounds or more this summer....When you go back to 46 pounds you'll pull it sitting down indian style with now issues.

remember..46 pounds will kill with no doubt.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree GMMAT...

I think bone is a factor too...if you clip a rib it changes everything..

I shot a Buffalo with my AM32 and I passed an old Vortex right through it....but I never touch bone.

Bones tend to whip those mechanicals around a bit...but I still love them.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

46# is PLENTY! If anyone says that isnt enough then they are completely wrong. My first deer was shot with round wheels pulling 42 pounds and the arrow went in and out. Deer ran 35 yards and dropped.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your comfortable at 46#, and use a COC broadhead...then let the killing begin!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with what everyone else is saying. 46lbs. is plenty with shot placement being number 1 in shooting anything with a bow. Here in this state up here you need to have a minimum of 35 lbs in order to hunt deer with it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Only problem with that new rage is.....don't believe everything they tell ya.

1.5" STILL eats up a lot of energy, going through an animal. It's essentially the same head as the Rocky Mtn. Sniper. Rob/PA's been shooting those heads for years. Pass-thrus are NOT the norm.

I still wouldn't shoot that head (ANY of them) with less than 60FP/KE.

Get the right head.....tune your bow/arrow combo.....and you have all you need to kill NC deer and most NA big game.

Good luck.

Because, afterall...who would know more? The Company that had a team of Engineers working feverishly, through hours andhours and weeks and weeksof testing and redesigns... Or GMMAT "knower of all" !!!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many good points here. The plan is to push the weight up slowly over the summer and then back down to the point where she can pull the bow back without much movement.

Quick Reply: Am I Pulling Enough Weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.