Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows and broadheads? >

Arrows and broadheads?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows and broadheads?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrows and broadheads?

ORIGINAL: crbaker123

Man I didnt realize bowhunting would be so technical
Ha!! You haven't even scratched the surface of "technical" yet. Wait until you hit the woods with a bow. That's when the real addiction starts. That's when you'll really find out how technical this sport can get.

Welcome to one of the most addicting sports in the world, we're glad to have ya'
Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

okay i got the information that you guys asked for
draw length 29inches
draw weight 54 lbs
Well, I'm no expert yet and the only arrows that I use and amfamiliar with is Gold Tip,but I'd bet that Gold Tip 5575's with a 100 grain point would fit you pretty good with thier .400 spine deflection. If you go with a lighter point, you'd need to step down to 3555's (.500 spine deflection). I'll let someone else chime in on other brands of arrows. I just know that you are going to need an arrow with a spine in the range of .400, and the Gold Tip 5575's will fill the bill.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

crbaker123,

One other question for you. As the famous R. D. Mercer would ask, "how big an ol' boy are ya"? I ask because evidently that bow has 60 pound limbs. If it were me, and this is just me, I'd crank them all the way down to 60 pounds and go with the 5575's and a 100 grain point. I guarantee if you use that combination and put the arrow where it needs to go it'll kill what you're hunting. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM

lol ya i can handle 60 lbs im a decent sized guy lol
im 210 and only 5 ft 9 in so im a stocky guy
my lil brother had it at 54 lbs i dont know why he picked that weight but thats what it is at
thanks for the arrow information im looking into buying them right after i submit this
Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM

LittleChief do u have any recommendations on where to buy them online?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I d crank it to 60 and start off with a good fixed blade like a Slick Trick 100 grain
Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

LittleChief do u have any recommendations on where to buy them online?
I've never bought them online, but I did a Google search and this site has a good assortment and the prices aren't too bad. http://www.archerywarehouse.com/Gold%20Tip%20Arrows.html. I have no experience with this dealer, so I can't vouch for them. Since you're new, I'd recommend the XT Hunter 5575s. The Pro Hunters aremore straight, but shooters likeyou and mewill probably never notice any difference. (We're just not that good.) Some things to remember since you're ordering arrows for the first time:
1. You can go with camo if you like, but it'll cost more. Itdoes look"cool", but it makes your arrowharder to find after a shot in the woods.(I learned this the hard way).
2. You should make sure you order them fletched, which brings up another question. Do you know what kind of arrow rest the bow has? This is just my opinion, but if it has a "Whisker Biscuit", I'd steer away from helical fletching and go with offset. If it has a fall away rest, pick whatever you want, and in that case I'd recommend helical.
3. You'll need to have them cut to length and have inserts glued in as well.
4.MakeSUREthat they DO NOT glue in the nocks!!! (It may sound stupid, but I've seen it happen)

There is a bow shop in Gulfport, MS at 2108 25th ave. It's called "The Bow Shop" (go figure). They don't carry Gold Tip arrows but they do carry some other good brands. They carry Mathews bows also, so at least he won't sneer at you when you walk in. Itmight be a good idea to go there and get them to build you some arrows.Either wayyou go, good luck, and good shooting!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Thanks so much littlechief i will be going and seeing the bow shop asap.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks so much littlechief i will be going and seeing the bow shop asap.
No problem. Let me know what you end up with.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

a good set of carbon arrows and some expandable or "flies like field tip" broadheads