Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you people do about early season Mosquitoes? >

What do you people do about early season Mosquitoes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you people do about early season Mosquitoes?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you people do about early season Mosquitoes?

Thermacell
Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Y'all can keep your Termacells. I guess I'm the only person who is more worried about chiggers in the early season than the mosquitos.Mosquitos are an annoyance. Chiggers are torture, and they are thick here. My solution takes care of both. Ipick up 5-6 cans of Permanone. It's not cheap, but it's fantastic. I take all of my hunting clothing, including socks and boots/shoes, lay it all out and spray it with the Permanone. Let it dry thoroughly and I'm good to go for a couple of weeks, even if I wash the stuff every day. It dries odor-free (at least to humans) and I've never picked up a tick or a chigger, and the skeeters leave that stuff alone. 5-6 cans will last me all season.
Yup. permanone works great for ticks too. The question was about mosquitos, and thermacell is the ticket for them, not permanone. BTW, I have had deer walk up to within yards of me while I was wearing treated clothes, I do believe the stuff dries odorless.
I guess I should have elaborated a bit instead of just saying that Permanone "takes care of both". In the early season when it's warm, all I wear is my ASAT 3D leafy outerwear (including the head cover) treated with Permanone over pants and a T-shirt. I also wear the thinnest gloves I can find(also treated). It works very wellat keeping mosquitoes at bay for me. I've sat and watched them try to land on the treated material and they can't seem to stand it. At first they used to attackmy exposed eyes with a vengeance, but Ididn't get a single bite anywhere else. Eventually, in the worst part of the season, I resorted to aquick sprayof Deep Woods Off across the top part of my face to protect my eyes. It's a good combination that works well.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

THERMA CELL. works wonders!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Therma cell works awesome best $30 I ever spent
Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

THERMACELL. i use it all summer
Old 06-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the skeeters are ruining my hunt then Thermacell comes out. Movement will get you busted just as easy as smell will when your swatting away those pesky skeeters and if youre swatting away atbugs, now youve just added a way to get busted when deer are downwind so youve just given the deer an advantage in my opinion. You ever had deer in right in front of you with bugs getting in your eyes, buzzing around your ears or landing on your face? I set my stands up facing the direction I hope the deer will be coming frombased on my knowledge of the spot Im hunting, and utilizing the wind is one of mykey advantages along with patterning deer movement. If one comes in from downwind then my game plan is now at jeopordy anyways so scent comes into play wether I have the Thermacell smokin or not. Ive killed plenty of deer while using it.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:29 AM

thermacell works perfect.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

therma cell is the best thing to use
Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Long sleeves no matter what.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

This just in: there are now earth-masking scent thermacell cartridges...was this already mentioned? Could be a little more comforting for those afriad of the subtle odor.

Quick Reply: What do you people do about early season Mosquitoes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.