Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fawn distress call. >

Fawn distress call.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fawn distress call.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Default RE: Fawn distress call.

It's only ever spooked deer for me. Distress just spells danger to me. Deer will come in on alert if at all and shot opportunities will likely not be great.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have luck with it. I don't blind call with it tho. I use it as a come back call when a deer4 gets gittery anbd moves away. I especially if its a sound like a broken branch or something..... makes them think its just a fawn stumbling or playing about
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

I've been tempted to try this for quite some time now, but I haven't been able to find the call anywhere. Who makes the calls that you guys use?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StraightArrowNY

I've been tempted to try this for quite some time now, but I haven't been able to find the call anywhere. Who makes the calls that you guys use?
If you have a call with a movable band, use it on the setting closest to the end of the reed, and make a long drawn out "whiny" sounding "Bwaaaaaaaaaah" with short pauses and LONG "Bwaaaaaaaaah's" Make it a little more distressed as you get up around 4-5 of them, maybe do it 6-8 times total and STOP!!! Pause for a minute or two and go back to it.

I called this coyote in with a pleading doe call in the peak of rut, right after I'd had a 110-ish 8-pt come walking right under my stand looking for her, circle around, decide she must've moved on, and he beat feet toward the bedding areas that morning trying to figure out where that "HOTTT" doe went. The coyote was looking for a "Hott" doe as well, but I believe she had completely different intentions.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used it once during the rut when I spotted a big doe. I hit the call twice and a Moster nine point came in from behind me. I was stuck and couldn't move for he was less then ten yards away. Once he spotted the doe he took off after her. He chased her around and around until they vanished. About forty five minutes later, I seen the same buck about 100 yards out going back to where he came from. I hit the fawn bleat again and he charged in one more time. I never had a clear shot at him and he was missing one of his G3's but it was one of the coolest thing's that season. I have used it religiously since then and have had good luck during the seeking stage and early season.