Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk hunting

Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk hunting

What up guys and gals,

This will be my 2nd year bow hunting. I went last year and seen lots of tracks but no cows no nothing. The biggest thing that I did wrong was no scouting.

So this year I'm going to do that and also hike in off the roads more.

My ? is how do you guys scout without wasting your time.

I'll be hunting public land. I've googled the area that I'll be hunting. I've found streams and lakes, but I don't know were to look for feeding areas.

I don't know what to do? Or really where to start looking.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting

RJ,

Where are you hunting? We need more info...
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Hey sorry I'm in Oregon. Hunting around a place called Oakridge. Above Hills creek Reservoir.

The area up there is thick woods. elevation is about 4000.

My season starts Aug 29th. So should I try to hunt above 4000 or below?
It's usely around 80deg. and up that time of year.

Sorry for the ?'s This is my 2nd year and really want to learn as much as I can and do it right.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with elk here in Colorado tells me you should hunt the coolest part of your terrian-elk do not like to be hot.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Spike

Huckleberry makes a good point, especially early in the season. Camp high and hunt high. The cooler the better.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huckleberry is right on. I have hunted elk in Both Washington and Idaho. Early season elk equal one thing, water.. If you can hunt high country were there are springs, you will find elk. But do not over look low level creek bottoms. There will also be elk there. In my opinion the more you are willing to get off the beaten path, the better chance you have. I like to hike in and camp for a day or two in more isolated areas. Another early season tip, get in their bedroom, the deepest darkest canyon's that you can find! They are elk magnets!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Find the coolest temps possible and water and you'll find the Elk

Dan
Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Might sound likea broken record, but if you find some secluded water which is somewhat hard to reach, you will find the elk.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

No success for me last trip out as well. I saw lots of cows, but the kind you get BEEF from, not ELK. This time I'm gonna be high and in or bordering a wilderness area. Check out Acme Mapper to get good aerial and topo views of the place you'll be hunting look for NORTH facing slopes or Northeast facing slopes with nice wooded benches for bedding areas. That's one thing I hear will yield good results. I've plotted out a large area and pre-marked areas I suspect elk will bed, and plan to glass them heavily and make my plan from there.

Also learn to use your calls. If you haven't watched any videos or listened to any cd's or tapes regarding it, get some and pay close attention to what you are really saying when you do call. It will make a big difference as well I believe.

Here's a link for Acme Mapper.... http://mapper.acme.com/
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

check out the north side of the mountains. it stays cooler on the north side and you might have more luck. p.s. scouting is never a waiste of time unless you'd rather be at WORK.

Quick Reply: Elk hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.