Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Broadhead Discussion I had with my uncle >

A Broadhead Discussion I had with my uncle

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Broadhead Discussion I had with my uncle

Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Broadhead Discussion I had with my uncle

At 11 years old in 1986 I harvested deer with recurve and then compounds without sites...I was raised in the woodsby my uncles in the mid 80's and they are now 43 & 46 years old....We still hunt and share the passion...

I am now at the age 35 ....I hang on my wall..an alphamax 32 hoyt, a stick bow-OSAGE, a laminent longbow, and a bear kodiak magnum.......

Sharing a beer the other night we were talking about broadhead hype and all the activity with broadheads these days....we laughed and shared in the discussion talking about how we loved the huge hole the vortex mechanicals make and also RAGE & Spitfire...we also talked about the deer we arrowed off the knuckle with cedar shafts wrapped in Sinew with Flint heads....

While sharing our beer my uncle Mark and I concluded the most important thing to remember about broadhead technology.....

1) Find a broadhead that feels right for you and flys great!
2) Make a good shot

And the animal is yours...

Whether its flint heads ...like the indians used.....or the latest and greatest fixed or mechanical.....

When you make a hole in the vitals..the animal bleeds to death....

In 1999 I recovered a doe with a lung shot from a flint head..and she ran 30 yards...

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. Read the post 2 times...and let it sink in...

-what flys best for you?
-make the right shot.

Thats the ticket.

MW

Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Broadhead Discussion I had with my uncle

Yep...you are right...
this is why I have founda broadhead that works for me on hogs, bear and deer...and it's the only one I use out of all of my bows...and the reason I use it to this day is because it flies good for me...and makes big holes...and it's easy to sharpen...plus it has a lifetime warranty that the company actually honors.....so I guess I just do not have a need to experiment.
Magnus Snuffers...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very true! However, there are some heads that truly out perform other heads.. With that said. The most important thing is to find a accurate head that fits you and your set up.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Very well said MW74. You have to have confidence in your equipment that you use.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I concur whole heartedly. I just can't subscribe to all the hoopla every year about the "latest and greatest" broadhead that hits the market when the reality is that the more the technology changes the more it remains the same. And I just can't see going out and paying $30 or more for 3 heads that do the same thing as what I've been using for several years when I only use them for a couple shots a year; maybe 20 shots to check the flight and maybe one shot every couple years on game itself.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great replies...I love to talk about this topic...one thing you'll find with me is that I love to talk about making holes with flint...and I also go nuts talking about a favorite expandable hi tech 12 dollar head......

But at the end...its all about making the hole in the right spot.

Hooked the trail cam up on the bird feeder last night. Mr. Raccoon needs some education 10 dollars a week on bird feed....enough is enough...

I shall wait on my roof til midnight with the alphamax 32 ..[:-]kidding

HELLO OUT TO MAGIC AND SHULTZYYYYYYYY

MW
Old 06-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quiet on here...I hope for some high volume posts for 2009....October will tell where we're at...

Hello from MW!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I concur whole heartedly. I just can't subscribe to all the hoopla every year about the "latest and greatest" broadhead that hits the market when the reality is that the more the technology changes the more it remains the same. And I just can't see going out and paying $30 or more for 3 heads that do the same thing as what I've been using for several years when I only use them for a couple shots a year; maybe 20 shots to check the flight and maybe one shot every couple years on game itself.

I could not agree more... Whether it's the best and fastest new bow every year or the new technology in an arrow, rest, sight, or broadhead. Although I have a nice setup I've spent alot of money on, what I try to remember is that all the hype on the new technology every year is that guys still kill game with flint BH's being shot out of apiece of woodand string... Buy something reliable that your proud of and enjoy shooting and just be happy twith it. If some people would spend the energy and money on practicing and just enjoying the sport than chasing the newest technology they might find that they enjoy themselves and their shooting more.
I'm not trying to talk down to guys that get new bow every year, I'm just saying that I have some friend that can't enjoy their bow because they always want the new "best" and "greatest"....
Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

"Hooked the trail cam up on the bird feeder last night. Mr. Raccoon needs some education 10 dollars a week on bird feed....enough is enough..."

Ha! I've been doing some work on the woodchucks around my house. It's a great way to get the bowhunting juices flowing again.

In regards to your post, any broadhead that kills and leaves a blood trail gets my stamp of approval. That means that just about any head you buy would get my approval which could make it difficult to pick just one. I use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) method in choosing just about all of my hunting gear. Therefore, I use Magnus stinger w/ bleeder blades and Muzzy 3 blades.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 AM

The reality is, broadhead choice is a personal choice. You will never know for sure until you try different makes and models so encourage new and old shooters alike to try different heads. I have my personal favorites based on the performance I have seen on shots I have taken and it boils down to my confidence in my choices. Sometimes it is all about me I guess.