Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tred Barta Paralyzed >

Tred Barta Paralyzed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tred Barta Paralyzed

Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tred Barta Paralyzed

Love/hate the man or not, it's hard not to respect HOW he pursues his quarry.

I wish him nothing but the best.....but he's got a daunting task before him (from what I've read). 60% chance (tops) for partial recovery.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Capt. Tred Barta, TV host, outdoorsman, columnist, paralyzed Monday
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

bowhunter magazine
[/align]From Sport Fishing magazine
On his way to Alaska to tape his TV show, Tred Barta recently suffered a rare occurrence called a spinal stroke. He is currently paralyzed from just below the chest down. Prognosis is way up in the air at the moment. His message to everyone is… "Don't take a single second of your life for granted." Send him best wishes at [email protected].
[/align]
Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy cow! I don't even know what to say

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been looking at spinal strokes and found this:

Frequency United States Spinal cord infarction is not common, but only fragmentary or indirect data are available on incidence or prevalence. A large study showed that only 9 of 3784 autopsies revealed spinal cord infarction, with a rate of occurrence of 0.23% at death. Conversely, if spinal stroke is approximately 1.2% of strokes, an overall annual incidence of 12 in 100,000 can be estimated.

Mortality/Morbidity The risk to life and its quality from spinal cord infarction is substantial because of the disability, which can be severe, with paraplegia, risk of pulmonary emboli, and risk of infection (eg, bladder, lungs, decubiti). However, no epidemiologic studies are available because of the relatively small number of patients affected. Published series of reports of spinal cord infarction are relatively small ranging up to 36-44 patients. They find a mortality in the vicinity of 20-25% of patients admitted to hospital with spinal cord infarction (Cheshire, 1996; de la Barrera, 2001).

Physical Neurologic dysfunction usually (ie, in approximately 95% of reported cases) stems from a lesion located in the anterior two thirds (or in the central "watershed") of the spinal cord (Found this interesting) and spares vibration and position sense perception, which are carried by the posterior columns and are relatively spared. See Image 2 for sensory pathways in the spinal cord and Image 3 for vascular anatomy of the spinal cord in the axial plane.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Love/hate the man or not, it's hard not to respect HOW he pursues his quarry.
No it's not that hard at all really. Weapon choice doesn't compensate for poor shot choices.

Hunting aside, the guy is as passionate as they come. TERRIBLE news for anyone to endure, my best wishes go out to him and more importantly his family. I know exactly what they are going through, as I am going through a similar situation with my own grandpa.

Get well and back in the mountains Ted, in one way or another, it is where you seem to belong.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've always loved his show and what he does. my prayers are to him for recovery. hang in the tred
Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is terrible hope he recovers. He is cool in my book the way he hunts
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

I look up to a man like Tred. He does it "his way" despite what others might say. But more importantly he isn't affraid to speak his mind. Which I think goes a LONG way in todays world. I strongly believe that is part of the problem within it. Not many folks havea spine anymore andare willing to stand up for what they think is right. Tred's not that way. Right or Wrong you know where he stands. Wish there were more like him.
It is a terrible thing to have to endure such a illness.But I can assure you the illness picked the WRONG character if it was going to try to hold him down. His drive and determination is second to none. He will not let this stop him. He might have to change his tactics a bit but I doubt he'll roll over and give it all up. Challenges are made for guys likeTred. Hewill take it head on. Good Luck Tred. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Trevor:

If you knew the history of Fred Bear (arguably the most revered hunter of all time) you'd probably have to say the same thing about him, too.

BTW....Fred did it the hard way, too. If that threatens you, it's your issue.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get well Tred, your the man!

Quick Reply: Tred Barta Paralyzed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.