Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Well now that we have estalished that we are all "Bowhunter's"......

Yes we all need to unite as one force to battle the anti's! And the anti's do hate us all. But I can promise you one thing.. Regardless of how bad they hate us all. They do in their crazy ass minds have a nitch that may resemble ethics. And they hate hunters who make unethical higher probablity type shots. Way more then someone who atleast tries to make it as ethical and as fast and clean of a kill as they can.

There are many opinions throughout our online community. Are mine right, no, not to some people. Are yours right, no. not to some people. However, at the end of everyday, I can hold my head up high knowing that I chose not to be a poor sport. I chose to be a sportsman, a bowhunter who 's sole purpose in life is to get close to my quarry, in his house, and take a the absolute best shot that I can. Here is the kicker.... IF I DO NOT GET THAT SHOT.. THAT ANIMAL WALKS TO LIVE ANOTHER DAY! WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT? I WOULD NOT MAKE A DESPERATION SHOT FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS, JUST BECAUSE I CAN HIT A PIECE OF PAPER AT 80 YDS........

DB, I do apologize if you thought I attcked you. Truly. It is not fair to hold someone else to your personal standard of living, or "code of ethics". The way I choose to live my life is not for everybody. With that said, your pro buddy is still a jack ass for making that shot. We aren't friends. But I am proud of you, you realized throughout this duscussion, that a long shot is NOT ethical. Expecially, on a big ol elk.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Muliefever,

Hey man where at in Idaho are you from??? I live in Kuna Idaho!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

On a foam 3-d target, you bet any day of the year. But on a real hunt with a live elk, only a idiot would take such a shot. I have go into a lot of arguments with this subject both in person and on this and other web sights.
I agree with the arguements and attacks. But we got to understand there many hunters talking long shots on game. Regardless if we agree or not.
Really glad to see this thread is being quite calm and everyones giving there input without insults and name calling like many hunting forums do!
DB
Not sure if i understand you fully or not so I will just say this. I understand that a lot of folks drink and drive even thou its fully agaist the laws, but if a lot of people do itdoes that make it right for everyone to drink and drive? Same goes with this argument, sure a lot of want to be hunters will take long shots, but does that mean all hunters should do it or allow it? I stick by my statement, that only a fool, and idiot would take such a shot. I also am more inpressed by anyone who can outsmart a animal and get in close, be it through, ambush, calling or stalking. Those people who do this are true hunters and not want to be risk takers who will fling arrows at any range in hopes of a kill. And yes ethics play a inportant part in bowhunting be it fair or not. Remember that bowhunting and hunting in generalis a privlage not a right. By taking risky shots, not only are you risking a lost animal, but you are making all bowhunters look bad when that animal is found dead with a arrow wound. What is worse is all the jackasses on tv and vidoe taking such shots and then bragging about it. I just wish they would show the ones that they hit anddon't recover. I bet for each animal that is shot and harvested over 60 yards, that two or more are wounded and get away only to die later.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! You got a lot of replies
Old 05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read the whole thing. Who's winning?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So you're saying Pete Shepley's 85yd. shot at a walking animal in the wind was BS????
I'll say it...

Yeah....it's BS if he took such a shot....without a trad bow.
Fixed it so Barta can still be an idol for you.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

On a foam 3-d target, you bet any day of the year. But on a real hunt with a live elk, only a idiot would take such a shot. I have go into a lot of arguments with this subject both in person and on this and other web sights.
I agree with the arguements and attacks. But we got to understand there many hunters talking long shots on game. Regardless if we agree or not.
Really glad to see this thread is being quite calm and everyones giving there input without insults and name calling like many hunting forums do!
DB
Not sure if i understand you fully or not so I will just say this. I understand that a lot of folks drink and drive even thou its fully agaist the laws, but if a lot of people do it does that make it right for everyone to drink and drive? Same goes with this argument, sure a lot of want to be hunters will take long shots, but does that mean all hunters should do it or allow it? I stick by my statement, that only a fool, and idiot would take such a shot. I also am more inpressed by anyone who can outsmart a animal and get in close, be it through, ambush, calling or stalking. Those people who do this are true hunters and not want to be risk takers who will fling arrows at any range in hopes of a kill. And yes ethics play a inportant part in bowhunting be it fair or not. Remember that bowhunting and hunting in general is a privlage not a right. By taking risky shots, not only are you risking a lost animal, but you are making all bowhunters look bad when that animal is found dead with a arrow wound. What is worse is all the jackasses on tv and vidoe taking such shots and then bragging about it. I just wish they would show the ones that they hit and don't recover. I bet for each animal that is shot and harvested over 60 yards, that two or more are wounded and get away only to die later.

Difference here is taking a long shot is not a crime or illegal. You and me do agree hunting is getting close. I take lots of youth and I preach the 30 and under rule fo them. But make no mistake hunter are taking longer shots and with bows soon hitting the 350fps mark you will see more long shots im my honest opionion.
DB
Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Equipment (tackle) has no place in this discussion.

Trev.....you're like an ankle-biter at my cuffs. Get back on the porch!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ahh good 'ole HNI
Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either a photographer,a rifle hunter or a DRUNK bowhunter.

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.