Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-23-2009, 04:48 AM

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Don't take my above comment out of context I am not calling anyone out but ethics are huge and DB I realize PETA hates us just because they want to; I don't care about them it is all the non-hunters that ride the fence that are neither for or against hunting that I am worried about, fact is that hunters make up about 10% of the population anti-hunters 10% so that leaves the 80% that don't get involved that can vote us out of our hunting rights if they believe what we are doing is unethical. Do they know anything about todays bows what they are capable of; i think not, do you think they will look at it like a stick and string and need to be really close to humanely kill an animal; you betcha they do! This is why all the outrage about the barret 50 cals being used to shoot at game at super long ranges, they don't like it and they do speak out when they think it is outright dumb. I have shot a Barret 50 cal when I was in the Army and I know that weapon (in the right hands) is leathal out past a mile, the thing is guys and gals this topic was on "who would take this shot" the answer is on game an unethical hunter would take this shot with a bow. I see it that way and you might not but the way I look at it is if my momma was standing there behind me would I take the shot and feel good about it?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy, my bow is shooting 259.At 100 yards it is traveling 202 fps.300 ft in 100 yards,do the math.An average speed of 230 fps.

That is 1.3 seconds to cover 100 yards.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

So you say you shoot 300yrds with a gun. Is that a high percentage shot with a gun?

No need to get exited... Yes if it's sighted in. I have mine sighted in for 75 yards. You figure it out, and its gonna drop about 7 inches... I put it 7 inches higher than I wanted and BOOM, he dropped in his tracks... It was a clear cut, so if I would have made a bad shot, I would have just watched him till he stopped, and put another one in him... Where with a bow, Even if you are the best in the state, it takes an arrow (my arrow) about 4 full seconds to hit a target at 100 yards... A lot can happen in that time! That arrow could be headed right for the heart, but the animal takes a step and now you got a gut shot, and a lots of brush that it could hide in. I know a guy that shot a elk at 40 yards with his bow, and the thing took a step and he hit it in the liver, so 100 yards, you could be hittin some hind quarters.

Really,4 seconds.My bow will cover 100 yards in 1.3 seconds and I don't shoot a fast setup.

That's not saying I shoot 100 yards or condone it or that I don't condone it but most bows shoot much faster than that and MOST,not all high powered rifles drop much more than 7 inches at 300 when sighted in at 75.Mine drops 8" at 300 when sighted in "0" at 200.
haha well... Maybe 3... I have the Mathews DXT and it has a 25" cam on it, but they cost so much I haven't got around to doing that.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy, my bow is shooting 259.At 100 yards it is traveling 202 fps.300 ft in 100 yards,do the math.An average speed of 230 fps.

I don't care what these bows are rated for, they loose way more energy then your giving them credit for at them long distances. Unless your chronoing your arrows at 100 yards you have no Idea what your arrow speed Is at 100 yards, none! My eye's didn't lie when I saw this happen that day 5 different times or so. JMHO.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ADV. Hunter

Don't take my above comment out of context I am not calling anyone out but ethics are huge and DB I realize PETA hates us just because they want to; I don't care about them it is all the non-hunters that ride the fence that are neither for or against hunting that I am worried about, fact is that hunters make up about 10% of the population anti-hunters 10% so that leaves the 80% that don't get involved that can vote us out of our hunting rights if they believe what we are doing is unethical. Do they know anything about todays bows what they are capable of; i think not, do you think they will look at it like a stick and string and need to be really close to humanely kill an animal; you betcha they do! This is why all the outrage about the barret 50 cals being used to shoot at game at super long ranges, they don't like it and they do speak out when they think it is outright dumb. I have shot a Barret 50 cal when I was in the Army and I know that weapon (in the right hands) is leathal out past a mile, the thing is guys and gals this topic was on "who would take this shot" the answer is on game an unethical hunter would take this shot with a bow. I see it that way and you might not but the way I look at it is if my momma was standing there behind me would I take the shot and feel good about it?

I appreciate your honesty and understand exactly what your saying. I would surely hope no one would try this shot at any game.
DB
Old 05-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I don't care what these bows are rated for, they loose way more energy then your giving them credit for at them long distances. Unless your chronoing your arrows at 100 yards you have no Idea what your arrow speed Is at 100 yards, none! My eye's didn't lie when I saw this happen that day 5 different times or so. JMHO.

Even if it is true that it loses more than my numbers(my numbers are pretty close though),it still gets there quicker than we think.Yes it sounds like it takes forever to get there but in reality,it just isn't that long.Even if my arrow was only traveling 100 fps at 100 yards,it would still be there in 1.7 seconds when starting at 259 fps.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Even if it is true that it loses more than my numbers(my numbers are pretty close though),it still gets there quicker than we think.Yes it sounds like it takes forever to get there but in reality,it just isn't that long.Even if my arrow was only traveling 100 fps at 100 yards,it would still be there in 1.7 seconds when starting at 259 fps.
So you're saying Pete Shepley's 85yd. shot at a walking animal in the wind was BS????

Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 AM
Dominant Buck

So you're saying Pete Shepley's 85yd. shot at a walking animal in the wind was BS????
I'll say it...

Yeah....it's BS if he took such a shot.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not! The guy that owns the shop here that is a Bowtech dealer shot his Carribou at 98 yards last year! He is alot better than me!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't take the 100 yard shot, BUT IMO with a quality, sharp,COC broadhead, penetration on a broadside shot wouldn't be an issue. Reason I say that is because #1, my 2nd shot on my elk last year was lazered 51 yards and my 380 gr. arrow got complete pass through. My first shot at 15 yards didn't hit the kill zone, but when given a chance to lazer the yardage on my wounded bull, the 51 shot was spot on. Anda few years ago, a buddy of mine shot a bull at 62 yards, and his arrow also got a complete pass through. I use the Magnus Snuffer SS and he uses the Magnus buzzcut. I don't know exactly his set up, BUT I do know that his draw is longer than mine and his arrows are heavier than mine. SO, I don't think most arrows, with another 40 yards added, would have a penetration issue when placed in the lungs on a broadside elk.

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.