Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

I have to disagree with you. Ethics and morals, while related, are different. In this sense (hunting) ethics are based on individual personal beliefs and convictions or the personal beliefs and convictions of a group. For one person or group to say that someone else is an unethical hunter because he or she doesn't hold the same beliefs or convictions doesn't hold water.
Well said,I don't need anyone telling me what MY ethics are.

What really blows me away is someone else getting upset about someone else's ethics,especially when they don't even know the person.

To ME,bowhunting is getting the desired game within MY effective range of which I can make an ethical shot on.My effective range is whatever "I" determine it to be.Abilty and the situation are the criteria for which I use.

You define bowhunting for you and "I" will define it for ME.

I detest Tred Barta's show ,I think he is unethical purely because he isn't proficient with his equipment and he will take shots he isn't capable of making.I don't watch his show because of it but I could really care less what he does,it is his life.(I do hope he gets well soon)
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

So you say you shoot 300yrds with a gun. Is that a high percentage shot with a gun?

No need to get exited... Yes if it's sighted in. I have mine sighted in for 75 yards. You figure it out, and its gonna drop about 7 inches... I put it 7 inches higher than I wanted and BOOM, he dropped in his tracks... It was a clear cut, so if I would have made a bad shot, I would have just watched him till he stopped, and put another one in him... Where with a bow, Even if you are the best in the state, it takes an arrow (my arrow) about 4 full seconds to hit a target at 100 yards... A lot can happen in that time! That arrow could be headed right for the heart, but the animal takes a step and now you got a gut shot, and a lots of brush that it could hide in. I know a guy that shot a elk at 40 yards with his bow, and the thing took a step and he hit it in the liver, so 100 yards, you could be hittin some hind quarters.

Really,4 seconds.My bow will cover 100 yards in 1.3 seconds and I don't shoot a fast setup.

That's not saying I shoot 100 yards or condone it or that I don't condone it but most bows shoot much faster than that and MOST,not all high powered rifles drop much more than 7 inches at 300 when sighted in at 75.Mine drops 8" at 300 when sighted in "0" at 200.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

Well I am glad to see you calrify that you are a BOWHUNTER. IMHO, I do not think that long range shooting on a game animal is ethical. We all know that the further the animal is away, the higher probability of error. Wether it be hunter, weather, or animal. Bows now days are so fast that the speed does take the difficulty out of the shot. However, We all owe it to the animal to make the most ethical shot that we can make. There is no perfect shot, anything can and will go wrong. If there was someone hunting with me, and they took a shot at a animal that was unethical. i.e Running, windy, the list goes on. 72 yds. One they would never hunt with me again. And two, I would probably bloody thier nose.
Tha word ethical I really dont like. Really depends on differnt regions we hunt. Each hunter gets to make that choice. If I had a open shot on an Elk at 70yrds and conditions were right. I just think I would take that shot. Big kill area and with arrow at 300fps. I feel the KE of my hunting arrow would peneatrate. Friend of mine shot his Caribou at 82yrds. He a world class pro archer. He said the guides were not happy about him taking that long of shot.
DB

Ethics/morals... They go hand in hand! Your world class archer buddy is a jackass! Who told you he is a world class archer? He has sponsors and a big check book. Please, give me a break. Myself along with a thousand other everyday joe's are "World Class Archer's"

We preach ethics, teach new generations the true meaning of bowhunting; and most importantly we sure and the hell don't take 82 yd shots at a living game animal!

Now, I am not doubting your ability to make a shot on an elk at 70 yds. I too believe I can make that shot. And my Black ice has more then enough KE.. However, what if.. There are things you can control. The shot, maybe your lucky enough to have Great weather conditions. Now, read this carefully... YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE ACTION or MOVEMENT OF ANY ANIMAL....... If you made a bad shot on a animal at that distance.. I would hope you would feel horrible! And I hope you would have learned your lesson. And I hope from that day forth you would hunt with a rifle!

Well now you have went and insulted my opionion. I know someone that has dedicated there life to shooting a bow and has made aliving at it doing it better than you could ever shoot on your best day. What the heck have you ever dedicted your life too and been successfull. You judge someone that has shot a bow from a young age of boy against the best archers in the world and you think thats not world class. (Give me a break) He has more game on the walls and has guided many in Colorado for years. And no one gave him a thing and he earned everthing from being dirt poor. He wants to take a shot at 82yrds you have no right to judge anyone. So now the thread has turned into your self rightous way or no way.
Get over your self and realize its not your call to tell me or anyone how to hunt! So much for having an intelligent conversation and everyone respecting each other. You hunt any way you want and other will do the same. Quit the name calling its uncalled for on this thread or any where. Just shows your disrespect for fellow hunters.
DB
Old 05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Muliefever

When did hunting become a average joes against anyone? Someone that is a beginner or someone that has hunted his entire life guiding and dedicating his entire life is the same. Never fails there always someon on the net that cant wait to jump and call someone a name and critasize what they do and how they do it. It often just jealousy and nothing more. I take youth all the time in the field and have the pictures to prove what I do. I took a disable vet this year. We are all hunters and no one is better than the other. That is what many will never understand. Anyone can buy a hunting license and as long as he not breaking any game laws its none of your buisness how he hunts. So give your opionion without insults and your higher than mighty ethics. Your ethics dont mean nothing to anyone but yourself.
DB

Would you judge this guy. Disabled vet with a steel plate in his head for hunting. He certianly is not no cracker jack shot and actually is very disabled due to the injury he got while over seas in a miltary conflict. I didnt know the guy from adam. He called and wanted me to help him get a deer. Is it right for me to judge him and his skills and say he shouldnt hunt? Im glad many hunter dont judge others and force there ethics on all of us. I dont care who your are you have a right to hunt any way you want.
Click on link for video

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...cture067-1.flv
Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED

So you say you shoot 300yrds with a gun. Is that a high percentage shot with a gun?

No need to get exited... Yes if it's sighted in. I have mine sighted in for 75 yards. You figure it out, and its gonna drop about 7 inches... I put it 7 inches higher than I wanted and BOOM, he dropped in his tracks... It was a clear cut, so if I would have made a bad shot, I would have just watched him till he stopped, and put another one in him... Where with a bow, Even if you are the best in the state, it takes an arrow (my arrow) about 4 full seconds to hit a target at 100 yards... A lot can happen in that time! That arrow could be headed right for the heart, but the animal takes a step and now you got a gut shot, and a lots of brush that it could hide in. I know a guy that shot a elk at 40 yards with his bow, and the thing took a step and he hit it in the liver, so 100 yards, you could be hittin some hind quarters.

Really,4 seconds.My bow will cover 100 yards in 1.3 seconds and I don't shoot a fast setup.

That's not saying I shoot 100 yards or condone it or that I don't condone it but most bows shoot much faster than that and MOST,not all high powered rifles drop much more than 7 inches at 300 when sighted in at 75.Mine drops 8" at 300 when sighted in "0" at 200.
I have a hard time believing that. This year while a group of us was out stump shooting one of the guys was shooting a brand new bowtech (305 fps). A handful of times we took some 100 yard shots at small 3 foot pine trees out In a CRP field and his arrow took much longer then 1.3 seconds to get to where he was shooting. Hell there wasn't a big difference between arrow speed with his bow and my recurve when we shot at long distances. At shorter distances his arrows were much quicker but at long distances his ran out of steam much quicker then mine did. The speed of these compounds was always pretty Impressing to me until I saw what they do at longer yardages that day. There no better of a bow then mine at them yardages.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

Well I am glad to see you calrify that you are a BOWHUNTER. IMHO, I do not think that long range shooting on a game animal is ethical. We all know that the further the animal is away, the higher probability of error. Wether it be hunter, weather, or animal. Bows now days are so fast that the speed does take the difficulty out of the shot. However, We all owe it to the animal to make the most ethical shot that we can make. There is no perfect shot, anything can and will go wrong. If there was someone hunting with me, and they took a shot at a animal that was unethical. i.e Running, windy, the list goes on. 72 yds. One they would never hunt with me again. And two, I would probably bloody thier nose.
Tha word ethical I really dont like. Really depends on differnt regions we hunt. Each hunter gets to make that choice. If I had a open shot on an Elk at 70yrds and conditions were right. I just think I would take that shot. Big kill area and with arrow at 300fps. I feel the KE of my hunting arrow would peneatrate. Friend of mine shot his Caribou at 82yrds. He a world class pro archer. He said the guides were not happy about him taking that long of shot.
DB

Ethics/morals... They go hand in hand! Your world class archer buddy is a jackass! Who told you he is a world class archer? He has sponsors and a big check book. Please, give me a break. Myself along with a thousand other everyday joe's are "World Class Archer's"

We preach ethics, teach new generations the true meaning of bowhunting; and most importantly we sure and the hell don't take 82 yd shots at a living game animal!

Now, I am not doubting your ability to make a shot on an elk at 70 yds. I too believe I can make that shot. And my Black ice has more then enough KE.. However, what if.. There are things you can control. The shot, maybe your lucky enough to have Great weather conditions. Now, read this carefully... YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE ACTION or MOVEMENT OF ANY ANIMAL....... If you made a bad shot on a animal at that distance.. I would hope you would feel horrible! And I hope you would have learned your lesson. And I hope from that day forth you would hunt with a rifle!
Good post!!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:51 PM

I will say this much most of you eastern bow hunters haven't even heard of such a thing as the bow hunters education certification, well out here in Idaho it is all of the western fast draw, long shot, BS that is now why we (Idahoans) have to get certified as archers, due to the lack of ethics and false pretenses of todays equipment. As stated sure todays bows are fast but at distance they lose all that speed and thus all the KE!!! Those of you who take the I will decide what is in my ethics; I got news for ya, this certification for archery is spreading and it will be on you before you know it!!! Most of this is on ethic s and I just went through the certification (passed it last night with a 99%) I know my ethical status and what makes us look bad, this is based on studies guys I am not preaching my outlook on it, I felt it was dumb for me to take a test to hunt with a bow when I have been hunting with a gun for 19 years. We have to band together and not get off on these little things because the fact is we are the minority and when the non-hunters (and I don't mean PETA and EJ) these are the folks who are standing on the sidelines not for or against hunting they are the ones who will vote out our hunting rights when they get reports of yeahoos out there shooting and wounding deer and elk taking shots at 100 yards which I don't care if you do hit it; it is NOT right and you should not make the shot... I have tracked down elk that had been shot poorly with a rifle at 100 yards and it took us days to find him, not very smart idea for those of you who are going to spend big money to go after an elk and have the three day tracking job and get to your elk and find a picked clean carcass!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who wouldn't take that shot?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ken/WV

Who wouldn't take that shot?

I would not take that shot.
DB
Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ADV. Hunter

I will say this much most of you eastern bow hunters haven't even heard of such a thing as the bow hunters education certification, well out here in Idaho it is all of the western fast draw, long shot, BS that is now why we (Idahoans) have to get certified as archers, due to the lack of ethics and false pretenses of todays equipment. As stated sure todays bows are fast but at distance they lose all that speed and thus all the KE!!! Those of you who take the I will decide what is in my ethics; I got news for ya, this certification for archery is spreading and it will be on you before you know it!!! Most of this is on ethic s and I just went through the certification (passed it last night with a 99%) I know my ethical status and what makes us look bad, this is based on studies guys I am not preaching my outlook on it, I felt it was dumb for me to take a test to hunt with a bow when I have been hunting with a gun for 19 years. We have to band together and not get off on these little things because the fact is we are the minority and when the non-hunters (and I don't mean PETA and EJ) these are the folks who are standing on the sidelines not for or against hunting they are the ones who will vote out our hunting rights when they get reports of yeahoos out there shooting and wounding deer and elk taking shots at 100 yards which I don't care if you do hit it; it is NOT right and you should not make the shot... I have tracked down elk that had been shot poorly with a rifle at 100 yards and it took us days to find him, not very smart idea for those of you who are going to spend big money to go after an elk and have the three day tracking job and get to your elk and find a picked clean carcass!
You are correct about banning together, hunters better get it figured out and start banning together because right now money the states gain from hunting is whats keeping us going in my opionion. But honestly PETA hates you regardless if you shoot 20yards. They will find something to hate everthing about hunters. It wouldnt bother me a bit to take a bowhunter education class because many young hunters need this because they are taking these longer shots and adults as well. That is all you can try and do is educate hunters. I remember when gun hunter education classes were started in my state and many were opposed to it. It is a good thing. I took it and due to my age wasnt required. This thread I started was to make us disscuss and be aware of archers are taking longer shots and for some to just post there views whether you agreed with taking along shot or not and hopefully do it without calling names. Which honestly 95% here have spoken and givin there honest opionions wihtout trying to insult anyone which never helps anything. As hunters we should try to make clean shots that will bring down the game. Im not a elk hunter but have gained knowledge from you here and if I do go elk hunting again I will limit my shot to 50yrds now from hearing from many. I will not critasize other hunters for there judgement. We as hunters learn form are exsperiances in the woods and we have all made poor choices at one time or another.
DB
DB

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.