Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

On a foam 3-d target, you bet any day of the year. But on a real hunt with a live elk, only a idiot would take such a shot. I have go into a lot of arguments with this subject both in person and on this and other web sights.
I agree with the arguements and attacks. But we got to understand there many hunters talking long shots on game. Regardless if we agree or not.
Really glad to see this thread is being quite calm and everyones giving there input without insults and name calling like many hunting forums do!
DB
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

What is your maximum range on game.

Does it matter what game it is.

Say would shoot farther at a turkey/coyote than a deer.

Do you feel your cabaple of shooting long range?

Here an example of long range shooting. Talk with John Dudley and have freinds that know the cameraman well. This is legit shot.

Click here

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24976&highlight=Turkey
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I happen to think this is the shot I would rather take any day. I take several pictures like this during the fall hunting season. I like to get as close as I can for my shots. This shot is meat in the freezer and less tracking.

I past on this bird at 38yrds.

I did shoot this bird this year at ten yards. Bowhunting for me is getting close to game. I am a hunter first and Senior Pro archer second. I know the difference between a moving object and 3d target.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure yet. For now, I say that I'd never take a shot over 40 yards at a game animal, and that would be situation dependent. So far, the longest shot I've had is 25 yards.

Absolutely. I say 40 yards because whitetail deer is the biggest game animal I hunt. Also, a 40 yards shot on a deer is totally different from a 40 yard shot on a squirrel.

Nope. Not on a turkey, anyway.I don't shoot coyotes. I don't shoot any animal thatI don't intend to eat.

That depends. I am capable of a consistent killing group on deer out to 60 yards (if that's considered long range). There's just too much that can happen in the time it takes the arrow to cover 60 yards, even with speed bows. There are also the other variables to throw in. Nerves, wind, unseen obstructions, etc.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am glad to see you calrify that you are a BOWHUNTER. IMHO, I do not think that long range shooting on a game animal is ethical. We all know that the further the animal is away, the higher probability of error. Wether it be hunter, weather, or animal. Bows now days are so fast that the speed does take the difficulty out of the shot. However, We all owe it to the animal to make the most ethical shot that we can make. There is no perfect shot, anything can and will go wrong. If there was someone hunting with me, and they took a shot at a animal that was unethical. i.e Running, windy, the list goes on. 72 yds. One they would never hunt with me again. And two, I would probably bloody thier nose.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I'm not sure yet. For now, I say that I'd never take a shot over 40 yards at a game animal, and that would be situation dependent. So far, the longest shot I've had is 25 yards.

Absolutely. I say 40 yards because whitetail deer is the biggest game animal I hunt. Also, a 40 yards shot on a deer is totally different from a 40 yard shot on a squirrel.

Nope. Not on a turkey, anyway.I don't shoot coyotes. I don't shoot any animal thatI don't intend to eat.

That depends. I am capable of a consistent killing group on deer out to 60 yards (if that's considered long range). There's just too much that can happen in the time it takes the arrow to cover 60 yards, even with speed bows. There are also the other variables to throw in. Nerves, wind, unseen obstructions, etc.

Very well stated. Good things for anyone to consider. Each hunter makes this choice.
DB
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Well I am glad to see you calrify that you are a BOWHUNTER. IMHO, I do not think that long range shooting on a game animal is ethical. We all know that the further the animal is away, the higher probability of error. Wether it be hunter, weather, or animal. Bows now days are so fast that the speed does take the difficulty out of the shot. However, We all owe it to the animal to make the most ethical shot that we can make. There is no perfect shot, anything can and will go wrong. If there was someone hunting with me, and they took a shot at a animal that was unethical. i.e Running, windy, the list goes on. 72 yds. One they would never hunt with me again. And two, I would probably bloody thier nose.
Tha word ethical I really dont like. Really depends on differnt regions we hunt. Each hunter gets to make that choice. If I had a open shot on an Elk at 70yrds and conditions were right. I just think I would take that shot. Big kill area and with arrow at 300fps. I feel the KE of my hunting arrow would peneatrate. Friend of mine shot his Caribou at 82yrds. He a world class pro archer. He said the guides were not happy about him taking that long of shot.
DB
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM

I wouldn't take a shot on a deer or anything over 40 yards with my bow. The reason I like to bow hunt is because its challenging to get close to them and get a clean kill. In rifle or muzzle loadingseason 105 yards is a easy shot.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

Tha word ethical I really dont like. Really depends on differnt regions we hunt. Each hunter gets to make that choice. If I had a open shot on an Elk at 70yrds and conditions were right. I just think I would take that shot. Big kill area and with arrow at 300fps. I feel the KE of my hunting arrow would peneatrate. Friend of mine shot his Caribou at 82yrds. He a world class pro archer. He said the guides were not happy about him taking that long of shot.
DB

Ethics/morals... They go hand in hand! Your world class archer buddy is a jackass! Who told you he is a world class archer? He has sponsors and a big check book. Please, give me a break. Myself along with a thousand other everyday joe's are "World Class Archer's"

We preach ethics, teach new generations the true meaning of bowhunting; and most importantly we sure and the hell don't take 82 yd shots at a living game animal!

Now, I am not doubting your ability to make a shot on an elk at 70 yds. I too believe I can make that shot. And my Black ice has more then enough KE.. However, what if.. There are things you can control. The shot, maybe your lucky enough to have Great weather conditions. Now, read this carefully... YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE ACTION or MOVEMENT OF ANY ANIMAL....... If you made a bad shot on a animal at that distance.. I would hope you would feel horrible! And I hope you would have learned your lesson. And I hope from that day forth you would hunt with a rifle!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

DB

Ethics/morals... They go hand in hand! Your world class archer buddy is a jackass! Who told you he is a world class archer? He has sponsors and a big check book. Please, give me a break. Myself along with a thousand other everyday joe's are "World Class Archer's"

We preach ethics, teach new generations the true meaning of bowhunting; and most importantly we sure and the hell don't take 82 yd shots at a living game animal!

Now, I am not doubting your ability to make a shot on an elk at 70 yds. I too believe I can make that shot. And my Black ice has more then enough KE.. However, what if.. There are things you can control. The shot, maybe your lucky enough to have Great weather conditions. Now, read this carefully... YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE ACTION or MOVEMENT OF ANY ANIMAL....... If you made a bad shot on a animal at that distance.. I would hope you would feel horrible! And I hope you would have learned your lesson. And I hope from that day forth you would hunt with a rifle!
I have to disagree with you. Ethics and morals, while related, are different. In this sense (hunting) ethicsare based on individual personal beliefs and convictions or the personal beliefs and convictions of a group. For one person or group to say that someone else is an unethical hunter because he or she doesn't hold the same beliefs or convictions doesn't hold water.

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.