Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Just to add in... I am a Western State Bowhunter. There is no game animal that I would take a shot at beyond the 45-50 yd mark. And it would have to be great conditions. ELK, not past 40 yds. I proved it this year, I passed on a awesome 6x6 at 50 yds.. I drew on him twice, but just couldn't do it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Just to add in... I am a Western State Bowhunter. There is no game animal that I would take a shot at beyond the 45-50 yd mark. And it would have to be great conditions. ELK, not past 40 yds. I proved it this year, I passed on a awesome 6x6 at 50 yds.. I drew on him twice, but just couldn't do it.
In my opionion this is the comfort zone for most of todays archers and for good reasons. I have never shot past 42yrds and dont know if I ever will.
Lords knows I have missed a few times alot closer.[:@] I think if most archers would be totally honest they have missed closer as well.
DB
DB
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter
Here an example Between 45 and 50 yrd shot at state Broadhead tournament.
Good tight groups from archers. Why would 20 more yards make this a tougher shot.
On this tournament. I hit 12 heart shots out of 20shots and rest were vitals except one shot. This seems high percentage to me. White crested arrow is mine.

I do agree I like the 30 to 40yrd range as this shot. But do we limit are ability sometimes with todays equipment. Broadheads and arrows and equipment is so more advanced. Arrow speed.

That grouping Isn't near enough consistent for me, not even close!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have deffinately missed close shots! When I was 16 I missed a huge 6x6 at 25 yds.. I had Bull fever so bad!!! It haunts my dreams till this day!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

I mean at 100 yds there is no way you can pick an exact spot to shoot at,your target zone just expands too much,exspeicailly with the naked eye.
An elk does have a 16" kill zone, so a guy doesn't really need to hit a "spot".
Say what you want at 100yds your are basicly guesing with your pin because you can't see details well enough,let me put it this way,if I was an outfitter and you were one of my hunters you wouldn't take the shot described in this post.If you did you would be asked to leave.He did say the wind was blowing hard,how do you compensate for that wwith a bow at that range,there is just no way to do it accuratly.Oklaomabowhunter I think you are confusing shooting targets with hunting they are totally different.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oklaomabowhunter I think you are confusing shooting targets with hunting they are totally different.
And there inlays the problem, because some of us are talking about "taking this shot" and looking at the photo and seeing a 3-d target, while others have takin' the thread and turned it into a "hunting" situation. I'd take this shot any day, and I'm talking about it as a 3-d situation.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

105 yards on the side of a barn is far enough. I do not elk hunt nor do i try to say i know a dam thing about it but 105 yards is a 15 yards with a bow. give me a rifle i would drop it. but not a bow.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tred Barta would do it. Get well soon Tred!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a foam 3-d target, you bet any day of the year. But on a real hunt with a live elk, only a idiot would take such a shot. I have go into a lot of arguments with this subject both in person and on this and other web sights.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

ORIGINAL: Howler

I mean at 100 yds there is no way you can pick an exact spot to shoot at,your target zone just expands too much,exspeicailly with the naked eye.
An elk does have a 16" kill zone, so a guy doesn't really need to hit a "spot".
Say what you want at 100yds your are basicly guesing with your pin because you can't see details well enough,let me put it this way,if I was an outfitter and you were one of my hunters you wouldn't take the shot described in this post.If you did you would be asked to leave.He did say the wind was blowing hard,how do you compensate for that wwith a bow at that range,there is just no way to do it accuratly.Oklaomabowhunter I think you are confusing shooting targets with hunting they are totally different.

No confusing hunting with targets. Garantee Im on many forums and there are more archers taking longer shots today than ever. Videos prove it. Just saw a 105 yrd shot on a turkey from John Dudley. I have been a hunter for 25yrs and harvested more than my share of whitetails and other game, Only Elk hunted once with no success. Be glad to share my harvests. I usually harvest six deer a year and usually one good eight pointer or better for many years. No rookie hunter here! I shoot archery year round. This is conversation about long shots on game. Simple as that. Hunters should be bale to disscuss without attacking and Im glad to see this not happening here.
DB

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.