HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Does this price seem a little steep to you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/294336-does-price-seem-little-steep-you.html)

Proff 05-18-2009 10:42 AM

Does this price seem a little steep to you?

First off, let me say that I am all about supporting local Pro shops. There was a shop in New Haven, Indiana that was in business for years and years until a few years ago when it had to close. I was a loyal customer there for about 20 years. I bought just about everything there. The only stuff I didn't buy was stuff he didn't have. Well around 2001or 2002, the owner died. His wife kept the store for a while, and I was gonna buy it. It ended up that another guy also wanted it. He had the cash from selling another business he owned, and I was gonna have to get some financing. So naturally she took the cash. Well he had it for about 4 or 5 years, and I was still a loyal customer. Unfortunately due to his wifes health problems and his need for insurance, he had to close up shop and go back to the workforce. Now I can do just about everything on my bow, but I don't have a press and when it is time to change strings and cables I head to the shop. All I need them to do is put them on, let me take about 30 shots to settle it in andthen give it a few twists so it is set to specs. My Pro shop used to charge me $5, but I always just gave him $10.00. Anyhow, there is a shop that opened a few years ago close to me, so I have been going there to get some stuff. He is a Mathews dealer amd I shoot Mathews so it is good to have him that close to me.I do buy quite a bit from him, and shoot the Dart system and his indoor range some. Well, it is time for me to change my strings and cables. I called there today to see what day would be best for him since I am off this week. I told him that I havea setcustom strings and cables ( gift from my hunting buddy for doing some work for him). I told him all I needed was for him to put them on, let me shoot a few times and then do a few twists to be sure it is all set up, and I would take care of loop and tying in the peep and all ( I was buying the new peep from him). I figured $10-15 at the most. Then he tells me $30.00!! I could see if I was never in there and never buy stuff. But I am a pretty regular customer and have actually sent 3 different peopld to him that have bought new bows in the past year. That just seems like a bit much for me. I know that I have had other guys complain that his prices are way too high, but like I said, I want to support the shops. I called the local gander mtn, and they said $10. But then I found out that the only tech there that I trust doesn't work there anymore, so I scratched them off the list. Well, I called another Mathews dealer that is about 5 more miles farther from me thanthe shop that I have been going to is ( one is south of me and one is North), and told him what I needed. He said bring it in, I'll do it for $8. So , tommorrow I am heading there. I am also gonna buy another Little Bitty Goose release while I am there ( and use my other one as a back up) , so the other guy lost out on that sale of the releasealso. I can see maybe a few bucks difference, but for $22 I don't mindtrying to the other place.
Like I said, I have always tried to support thepro shops over the big catalog stores. I have never minded spending a couple bucks more, But hey, my money is my money and I also have to look out for myself, especially these days. I just think that $30 just to put the string and cable on is a bit much, especially whenI am doing all the final set up myself.Maybe in your areas that isn't that bad. What do you guys think? Does that seem a little steepto you.

SwampCollie 05-18-2009 03:39 PM

RE: Does this price seem a little steep to you?

ORIGINAL: Proff

First off, let me say that I am all about supporting local Pro shops. There was a shop in New Haven, Indiana that was in business for years and years until a few years ago when it had to close. I was a loyal customer there for about 20 years. I bought just about everything there. The only stuff I didn't buy was stuff he didn't have. Well around 2001or 2002, the owner died. His wife kept the store for a while, and I was gonna buy it. It ended up that another guy also wanted it. He had the cash from selling another business he owned, and I was gonna have to get some financing. So naturally she took the cash. Well he had it for about 4 or 5 years, and I was still a loyal customer. Unfortunately due to his wifes health problems and his need for insurance, he had to close up shop and go back to the workforce. Now I can do just about everything on my bow, but I don't have a press and when it is time to change strings and cables I head to the shop. All I need them to do is put them on, let me take about 30 shots to settle it in andthen give it a few twists so it is set to specs. My Pro shop used to charge me $5, but I always just gave him $10.00. Anyhow, there is a shop that opened a few years ago close to me, so I have been going there to get some stuff. He is a Mathews dealer amd I shoot Mathews so it is good to have him that close to me.I do buy quite a bit from him, and shoot the Dart system and his indoor range some. Well, it is time for me to change my strings and cables. I called there today to see what day would be best for him since I am off this week. I told him that I havea setcustom strings and cables ( gift from my hunting buddy for doing some work for him). I told him all I needed was for him to put them on, let me shoot a few times and then do a few twists to be sure it is all set up, and I would take care of loop and tying in the peep and all ( I was buying the new peep from him). I figured $10-15 at the most. Then he tells me $30.00!! I could see if I was never in there and never buy stuff. But I am a pretty regular customer and have actually sent 3 different peopld to him that have bought new bows in the past year. That just seems like a bit much for me. I know that I have had other guys complain that his prices are way too high, but like I said, I want to support the shops. I called the local gander mtn, and they said $10. But then I found out that the only tech there that I trust doesn't work there anymore, so I scratched them off the list. Well, I called another Mathews dealer that is about 5 more miles farther from me thanthe shop that I have been going to is ( one is south of me and one is North), and told him what I needed. He said bring it in, I'll do it for $8. So , tommorrow I am heading there. I am also gonna buy another Little Bitty Goose release while I am there ( and use my other one as a back up) , so the other guy lost out on that sale of the releasealso. I can see maybe a few bucks difference, but for $22 I don't mindtrying to the other place.
Like I said, I have always tried to support thepro shops over the big catalog stores. I have never minded spending a couple bucks more, But hey, my money is my money and I also have to look out for myself, especially these days. I just think that $30 just to put the string and cable on is a bit much, especially whenI am doing all the final set up myself.Maybe in your areas that isn't that bad. What do you guys think? Does that seem a little steepto you.

If all you want him to do is slap it on and wish you the best of luck.... then in our shop its a $12.50 press fee... at least it is supposed to be... if you hand me $10 cash and buying just about anything else then I'll shake your hand and ask you to come back anytime.

But for customers who buy string/cables from us and have us install them.... its $30.... and that includes EVERYTHING..... from retiming and tuning to reserving for STS's and retying peeps and spending time with the customer getting re-tuned. For customer supplied stuff.... its $50 if the bow wasn't purchased from us.... and usually between $30-40 if it was, depending on what all is involved. Again, since you are basically doing it all yourself.... yeah, I'd say $30 is on the high side for a press fee.

odom82 05-18-2009 05:39 PM

I have a local shop that I go to... We actually have a couple of bow shops, tech, really close... I drive about 15 minutes further to go to my shop because of the tech, he is the best in the state...... Anyway, at my shop if you are a loyal customer they usually don't charge you for small things and I don't think they would charge you anything to just put your string on, if they did maybe 5 dollars.... If you bought your bow from them or purchase your accesories from them, loyal customer, my shop would probably just shake your hand and ask how you were shooting. Although, you got to make money, but I think (for my location) a 30 dollar fee for that type of service is really high... A shop doing that would stay in business around here for very long...

Proff 05-18-2009 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is all I am needing. Put the buss cable and string on, let me shoot it about 30 times, the make a few twists if needed to be sure that the ATA and brace height is right. Then I will do everything else ( tie in the peep, hook the Muzzy ZE back up, put on the loop and then get it tuned up). Like I said , I have bought quite a bit of stuff from the guy and have sent 3 people to him that have bought 3 brand new bows in the past year, so it isn't like I am some new guy just coming in. Iy just kind of suprised me he wanted $30.00 for just doing that. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but with the economy the way it is, and especially now that I have a daughter in her first year of college.... I need my money!!!:D

odom82 05-18-2009 05:55 PM

Yep, they need their money and you, we, need ours... haha Guess we need to find a happy medium, but yes 30 is high for me..

OHbowhntr 05-18-2009 06:28 PM

For $10 my shop will install new strings, time cams, re-serve in a drop-away cord tothe down cable, put on a loop, re-install a peep, and throw some serving on the spot where my STS hits!!!! Now I know that is DIRT CHEAP, but I've also been buying stuff off of them for almost 20yrs. But he does that for any and everybody!!! WHY, because he knows that if he charges that "little" we'll keep coming back. And he's 100% right!!!

jag-mag 05-18-2009 07:03 PM

My mod screw worked loose and then my c clip fell off the cam, started to make alot of noise. I took it to the shop and had it fixed, new nut ,clip
and shot it a couple of times. I asked the tech how much I owed him and he said you have bought bows from us, no charge, I will be buying my
next bow from them even if the 2 big chain stores in town have them 50 bucks cheaper. He could of charged me 10 bucks easily and I wouldn't
have cared or thought it was unreasonable, in the long run he will make alot more then ten dollars.

Centaur 1 05-19-2009 04:09 AM

Since you plan on doing all the work yourselfjust get a Bowmaster press for $40? It would be good to have the press for emergencies anyway.

totalcomfort 05-19-2009 04:57 AM

My shop lets me use the press to set up my own bows,plus use the chrono. to fine tune them no charge.I always tip a 20.00 as a thank you.I also buy all my stuff from him.