Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent LoK & Lee Lakowsky >

Scent LoK & Lee Lakowsky

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent LoK & Lee Lakowsky

Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent LoK & Lee Lakowsky

If they win this lawsuit it will only open the floodgates for trail lawyers to go after other companies who makes claims that their product is a cure all or fix all,we all know that things are almost always not what they are advirtised to be.Just look at the fda going after cherios!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think today I'm going to find me a helpful lawyer who is only looking out for my best benefit, and sue every company that I have gear from for not me not shooting a 400" buck. I'd like to start with Mathews, Steiner, Scent Blocker, Realtree, Easton, G5, Rage, under armour, gameplangear, bushnell, Mad and Primos game calls, summit treestands, ford f-150, honda and yamaha atvs. I'm sure there is some more I can place blame on.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well if any of you looked at the paperwork on why Scent Lok is getting sued; it is pretty easy to understand. They broke a few laws on some states. It would just be easier to read it than for me to explain it.
How would you all feel if Ford told everyone that all their trucks got 50mpg, but after you bought one it never got more than 12mpg? There are laws out there to protect the consumer and stop companies from going out and lying. Scent Lok (ALS Enterprise Inc.) thought they could get away with it. I don't think they have a chance with all the science against them. Are none of you hunters for science? Are you all for big corporate companies lying and taking money from consumers/public? Ya other hunting companies do things that advertise for their advantage, but you would have to read exactly why these people are going through this lawsuit with Scent Lok and know a little about law. Without any knowledge of what is going on with the case and law; I can understand why no one thinks this is a good idea for a lawsuit.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I found this posted by “Scentguy” on another website.

“This is from the original filing in the Minn.case. There are over 200 documents filed in that case. Depositions etc. All the documents are not available because some are sealed. (All available on justia.com)
Arguements for certification were held May 5,2009. Decision to be announced shortly

There have beeb additional suits filed in Ill., Wisconsin , Flordia , Maryland ,
Indiana , and Washington . In each of these their are speficific charges against the defendants.

Cabela's , Gander Mountain , Bass Pro , Browning , and Robinson Outdoors
along with Scentlok are named defendants so this is a much larger suit then has been discussed and will be very far reaching in its effect on the hunting community.
The scope of the suits has widen to include TV advertising and shows , magazine advertising and promotion , and prostallers statements.

The hunting industry is strangely silent in providing information and most publication are afraid to provide up to date information. Scentguy”

I found this great post by “Doc” on a website.

“Hunters, fishermen, and all kinds of outdoor enthusiasts have become such a taken-for-granted target of false advertisement schemes that now we are starting to accept the fact that products do not have to perform as warranted. Do we enjoy being lied to so much that we are now cheering on the manufacturers who prey on us with their lies and deceit.

I personally am grateful that someone has taken on the effort of trying to make these characters liable for intentional deceptions and if they prove their case, I will cheer the outcome. I have nothing but contempt for businesses that take my hard earned cash under false and fraudulent claims and deceptive advertising techniques. If they are guilty, they deserve whatever financial punishment that they get.

Of course I reserve all of my appreciation for this action until such time as their case is proven. I have never bought any of this stuff because of the exhorbitant cost, so I have no opinion on whether the stuff actually works or not. That issue will be for the plaintiffs to prove.

Doc”
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

How would you all feel if Ford told everyone that all their trucks got 50mpg, but after you bought one it never got more than 12mpg?
Probably the same way all the chevy owners feel when Chevy says their trucks are "like a rock" and they back into a sapling.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

To be honest, I have 1 Scent Lok Suit and 2 Scentblocker suits. All three were bought on close out deals so I never paid full proce for them. I guess I jumped on the bandwagon there for a few years. Then I watched the 2 companies coming out with more and more stuff, and the price kept getting higher and higher, and then all the beloved PROS started telling us on their shows that we couldn't kill deer anymore unless we were wearing Carbon from head to toe!!( Funny how all of them telling us just so happened to have either Scent Lok or Robinsons Labs as their main sponsors!
After a few years, I kinda got to wonderin about it. We started reading info from chemists, scientists and other guys that are a whole lot smarter than me, saying that the claims that these companies were bogus, and showed scientific proof. At my job at an oil seal plant, I work directly with the guy who is the head of Health and saftey and evrything that has to do with chemicals, waste management etc.,at our plant. This guy is BRILLIANT!! One day about 2 or 3 yrs agohe was talking to me and he saw a hunting magazine on my desk. He has absolutely no interest in hunting, but I could tell something caught his eye. He picked it up and started reading something. It happened to be an article on scent suits and activated carbon. Well, I soon found out that the guy is an expert at water filtration and other processes that use activated carbon. Lond story short, he asked about the suits and how we use them and care for them. I told him about my suits, reactivating them in the dryer etc. After telling him, he said " I sure hope that they aren't expensive!". So I pulled out a Cabelas Archery catalog out and let him see the prices. He hust started laughing and said " You hunters are getting ripped off!!. If I had known that hunters were that gullible I would have started this business!!" We laughed and then he basically told me that unless they were selling us some really super quality clothing material, we were wasting money with the carbon technology. I don't remember everything because he was getting real scientific, but basicallly he said that after about the first few hunts, the scent absorbing capacity was pretty much gone. I told him that we put them in the dryer and they would be reactivated. He said, " Oh, and where did you get a commercial dryer capable of getting up to between 1300-1500 degrees? He said that that is what it would take to reactivate it. Basically he said that after a few hours the carbon would be full. After putting it in the dryer, the very top layer of the carbon would be activated again. But, by the time you reached yopu stand, it would be full of scent molecules again. He said that these companies were probably getting by because their claims were true, but they just didn't tell us that the suits would be about worthless ( as far as scent absorbing abilities) in no time.
That was the final straw for me. And honestly, before that conversation took place, I had a long talk with myself one day and made a breakthrough with myself!I said self, You have been a scent control fanatic for years now. Can you honestly say that since you have been buying these expensive suits, that you are getting any closer to more deer than before? Have you actually killed deer any deader than you did before? Don't ya miss weraing all that incredible Predator camo that you have? My answers were No, No and Yes!! So I broke out all the old Predator, kept doing whjat I have been doing for years and years, and nothing has changed success wise. The only difference is that I have more money to spend on other hunting gear now!!
I am anxious to see what happens with this lawsuit. I did tell that guy at work about, and he remembered our conversation. It was funny, because he said, "Well, with the money that they have been making on those products, they ought to have alot saved up by now to settle the lawsuits!"
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Gee, I remember a few years ago when I called all this Scent Lok stuff snake oil and everyone on this site that invisioned himself as the next TV star poo pood everything I said. I laid out data on properties of carbon, retention rates and all that and they declared me an old fuddy duddy unwilling to change. And now, people question this stuff is real. LOL I love it.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

It is easy to see why the pros with their hunting shows promote this stuff,it's their livelyhood.I mean scent lok is a major sponsor for a lot of shows.I do have a problem with the ad that says forget the wind,just hunt.but even that is crazy if you really pay attention to the hunters on the show,I mean the first thing they look at in a hunting setup is wind direction,do you really think that if they believed that it contained their scent they would worry about wind direction,I don't think so.Even with that said hunters should take some responsabilty for their own actions and what I is we should use some common sense when purchasing equipment.I mean come on do you really think anyone can be scent free or a arrow or bow can make you a successful hunter and bring in all the trophy bucks you see them shoot on tv.All I repeat ALL the companies out their would like for us to believe all their claims about what their products wll do for us but it is up to the consumer to use good judgment when buying.If people stop buying scent lok then the problem will take care of itself but there must be a lot of people out there that does think it works because they are still going strong.I personally don,t tink it will help me enough to justify the cost of buying it,I'll just keep doing what I can to keep my scent to a minumal and using the wind to my advantage.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

It is easy to see why the pros with their hunting shows promote this stuff,it's their livelyhood.
So you're saying Honor, Integrity and a sense of right or wrong doesn't apply to them. No one forced them to sell their scrupples. They just go for the almighty dollar no matter what. I'm sorry, but that's the way I see them. And guess what, people will still buy their videos and flock to line up to say they talked with them at some cheesy outdoor show.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I agree w/ most of you but they do claim alot in their advertisments... Anyone w/ common sense would know that nothing is 100%...

Quick Reply: Scent LoK & Lee Lakowsky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.