Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting thru mesh >

Shooting thru mesh

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting thru mesh

Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting thru mesh

Has anyone who has shot through mesh on their blinds seen much of a difference of hitting thier mark? I have recently purchased a primos eclipse and plan to use it in a spot this coming deer season( in a marshy terrain with no trees to climb). I can open one or two of the 12 windows without leaving any spots that show any movement in the blind, but am wondering what people have to say about shooting thru mesh. I can see where a fixed broadhead may work, but wont the rage or similar mechanical heads prematurely open?

Just curious, as I will be using the blind in search of the deer I have been watching for 2 years now that frequents a marshy bottom among smaller cedars that are not sturdy enough to use a climber or ladder stand.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting thru mesh

I have been practicing at 60 yards with my HAA single pin site all spring getting ready for turkey season. I figure if I can nailit at 60 everything else will be a chip shot. On the last day of NC turkey season I had a gobbler come in and walk broadside to me but would never give me a close shot. I took the 60 yard shot with a muzzy fixed blade head thru a whiskerbiscket rest and thru the screen mesh. my arrow flew fine and the turkey piled up in about 20 yards. Yes it can be done, but mechanicals might be a different story.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot Slick Tricks thru mesh out to 40 yards.

No Problems here!

Dan
Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Just make sure its not to tight. I have the T2 double bull and if i got the front staked down so the mesh was to stiff it would kind of throw my arrow, but not much. Now i just keep it a little loose and it seems fine with fixed and mechanicals.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM

i've gotten very mixed reviews from my customers on them.
though more people do like them than dislike but have definitely talked to a few guys who felt the screen affected the flight too much
Personally, i have not used one though, so that is all second-hand advice so take with a grain of salt.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Been shooting through mesh on my double bulls for years. Has not seemed to be a promblem yet. I tested it with Slick Tricls and arrows hit there mark.
DB
Old 05-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

If it was me, I'd lose the blind, completely (opting for a natural ground blind - for deer). I'd worry more about the deer being spooked by the blind than I would be worried about BH performance through netting.

No issues shooting through air with any BH.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If it was me, I'd lose the blind, completely (opting for a natural ground blind - for deer). I'd worry more about the deer being spooked by the blind than I would be worried about BH performance through netting.

No issues shooting through air with any BH.
Jeff, I get your point, but I am smart enough to know that any shot out of a blind is better. My predicament is explained in my original post. Last year I was able to get into this swampy area enough to find a decent tree for my climber. I spotted him at about 125 yrds getting a drink, and watched him retreat into his lair of thick cedars, fallen trees, and thicket that I wouldnt send a dog through. I was planning on trudging through the muck, getting close enough to his trails, etc, and set up the blind and conceal it with native branches, trees, etc. Here is my eclipse set up for this past turkey season.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, I get your point, but I am smart enough to know that any shot out of a blind is better.
How so (How is it a better shot)?

A well-concealed blind "might" allow you to get drawn easier. But the added freedom to shoot in any direction at any height is also an advantage.

If you just wanna hunt out of a blind, you have to know that they're (a lot of them) gonna peg you. If you've hunted turkeys enough....and had deer come by, you know what I mean. In my experiences, deer loathe ground blinds and will avoid them, religiously.

Good luck to ya. I don't ever see me hunting deer from a ground blind, again. I'll surely be hunting them from the ground this year, though.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Only done it once but had no accuracy issues..

Quick Reply: Shooting thru mesh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.