Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice....we are talking about practice >

Practice....we are talking about practice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice....we are talking about practice

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Practice....we are talking about practice

Got done shooting tonight and I was wondering how often you shot during the off season? I am taking a different approach this year where I try to atleast shot once a week. Once I get inside of one month I will be out 5 nights a week. I wish I could put a tree stand up at the house but I dont think thatwould go over well with the neighbors but once my wife andI move out of this place itwill be done! I do not have much room but I did shot 15arrows from 20 then 30 yards. I would like to know what approach most of you make towards your routine?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Practice....we are talking about practice

We're talkin about practice!!!! Not a hunt not a hunt, but practice. Yeah I like to practice at least once every 2 weeks but I should be doing it more
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zero times...

I'll dust the bow off about 8 weeks before the season opens and practice 2-3 times a week for the first few weeks. (12-15 arrows each shoot)
Then 3-4 weeks before Sept 15th opener, it will be 4-5 times a week but only 9-12 arrows.
The last week I start shooting at sunset with my dull broad heads to get my eyes ready 3-6 arrows almost everyday.
During the season I take 1 shot only, before each time I go out, unless I miss my kill zone.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

i do it 3 times/week for 2 hrs per practice session from 10-20-30 yds. Gonna try 40 next
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much shoot year round. Sometimes its 200 arrows a week, sometimes its 50 and sometimes its 500. From late July on it is more towards the 500 number.

During the season, I like to shoot a few before heading out. This past year was the first year that it was possible as I hunted a new piece close to home. I liked it. It's like a pitcher warming up or a batter taking BP. Can a guy hit a home run cold, yes, but he'd rather be warmed up I am sure.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

6+ days a week.

depending on the free time, probably anywhere from 250-1000 shots per week. It really all depends on what im doin that week etc... during the winter, i was shooting 3 indoor leagues (5spot mon. nights, 20yd animal target tuesday nights, and indoor 3d to 45yds thursday nights) so you can only imagine how much it was then. I will never do that again... It wasnt that it was hurting my body, it was killing my mental game[&:]

Before all the target comp stuff, i was only shootinga few times a week...

Derek
Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first couple years, i would had a bit of a routine...

once the snow melted and spring was here, id start shooting at minimum of a few days a week...usually 30-50 shots...

once the dog days of summer came i was shooting daily...30-100 arrows a day...i "over did it" but i had the yard to shoot in and time to do it and would fling some arrows and jump in the pool...fling a few more and cut the grass...fling a few more and jump back in the pool etc...if i worked id get off work and shoot 30-50 arrows...once the season came i was more than ready...but once the season comes i typically only shoot on Sunday since i cant hunt...or whenever i could sneak a few arrows in...

last summer was the first i went away for the summer to work...i shot hard before i left, and was gone 15 weeks...got home mid-late august and shot hard till the season came...

this year i dont expect to bowhunt at all...if i find a place to hunt here in NC i will get my bow and find a place to shoot down here...but i likely wont be back in PA till after bow season is over....

but typically i shoot alot...i enjoy it and have the place to do it in my backyard...
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Rarely miss a day, any more. If I still shot a compound, though, I'd probably shoot a couple weeks before the opener to be ready.

Cap'n....what part of NC are you in?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

i shot 3 days a week in the spring(anywhere from 10 to 50 yds most broadside, straight shots), about 30 shots a night, ill start shooting every day when aug. gets here about 50 shots a night(from 10 to 50yds from all angles, ill shoot from my ladderstand that ill set up for about half the shots, since i hunt about 50% of the time from a tree), and then when season comes i like to shoot about 10 shots or so before each hunt (usually in my basement i got a 15yd range set up)
Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot often, not because I have too, but because I enjoy shooting. I was out yesterday and Saturday.

Quick Reply: Practice....we are talking about practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.