Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick Trick users I need some reviews >

Slick Trick users I need some reviews

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Trick users I need some reviews

Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick users I need some reviews

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Have they improved the out of box sharpness of the slick tricks? I used them in 2005, but they needed to be sharpened as they were pretty dull from the factory. That said, they are tough broadheads and they flew just like FP's from my '05 Allegiance VFT.

I had a bad experience with my first (and last) year bowhunting. Shot two deer, didn't find either even though I know I got good shots on both. I sold my bow, but now I've started a new job and some of my co-workers are hard-core bowhunters and they've already invited me to hunt with them, so I'm thinking about buying another bow and trying again. If they improved the OOB sharpness of the Slick Tricks, that'd be what I'd use again because they didn't require any changes to the bow compared to field points.

Mike
Come back. I had to learn last year that these things happen and you can't beat yourself up about it. Glad to hear you are thinking of returning to this great sport.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I shot Muzzy's for many years. I switched to Slick Tricks about 6 years ago now and have not looked back.
They are simply the best all around head I have ever used.
They addressed the balde sharpness issue 2 years ago when they switched to the German blades. They are scary sharp..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am contemplating these heads too. Which is the best out of the models?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Have they improved the out of box sharpness of the slick tricks? I used them in 2005, but they needed to be sharpened as they were pretty dull from the factory. That said, they are tough broadheads and they flew just like FP's from my '05 Allegiance VFT.

I had a bad experience with my first (and last) year bowhunting. Shot two deer, didn't find either even though I know I got good shots on both. I sold my bow, but now I've started a new job and some of my co-workers are hard-core bowhunters and they've already invited me to hunt with them, so I'm thinking about buying another bow and trying again. If they improved the OOB sharpness of the Slick Tricks, that'd be what I'd use again because they didn't require any changes to the bow compared to field points.

Mike
Mike,
No offense, but even if you put a DULL BH where it's supposed to be the deer will die in short order. I've shot many different heads, and some may not have been as sharp as "the RAZORS" that a lot of guys prefer, but they always did their job if I did mine. Having said that though, I feel confident enough to put my ST into foam a few times and still use them on animals without any re-edging because they are still that sharp even after several trips into my foam BH target. The deer in the pic I posted on this thread was shot with a head that had been in 2 deer, 2 coyotes, and make a couple unsuccessful venture after squirrels while hunting, and at home, it had easily made 100+ trips into foam, just som mild re-edging, and it was as sharp as anything you'll take out of a package. And it's still on my #1 arrow that will be in my quiver for elk-hunting this fall.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Ben, I'm not sure there is a Best model. I've hunted with most of the Slick Tricks and all have impressed me.

Last year I primarily hunted with the Grizz Tricks. If you are hunting Whitetail size game and have decent KE I think the Grizz is an excellent choice, but I would have no problems using the Mags again or even the Standards.

The Grizz will be available in a 125 grain head also later this year.

Dan
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Ben, I'm not sure there is a Best model. I've hunted with most of the Slick Tricks and all have impressed me.

Last year I primarily hunted with the Grizz Tricks. If you are hunting Whitetail size game and have decent KE I think the Grizz is an excellent choice, but I would have no problems using the Mags again or even the Standards.

The Grizz will be available in a 125 grain head also later this year.

Dan
KE is not in short supply with my arms and the 101st. Thanks for the "heads" up.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Mike,
No offense, but even if you put a DULL BH where it's supposed to be the deer will die in short order. I've shot many different heads, and some may not have been as sharp as "the RAZORS" that a lot of guys prefer, but they always did their job if I did mine. Having said that though, I feel confident enough to put my ST into foam a few times and still use them on animals without any re-edging because they are still that sharp even after several trips into my foam BH target. The deer in the pic I posted on this thread was shot with a head that had been in 2 deer, 2 coyotes, and make a couple unsuccessful venture after squirrels while hunting, and at home, it had easily made 100+ trips into foam, just som mild re-edging, and it was as sharp as anything you'll take out of a package. And it's still on my #1 arrow that will be in my quiver for elk-hunting this fall.
I had them sharpened before I used them. As far as shot placement, while I can't be 100% sure because I didn't recover either deer, I watched the first arrow go through the ribs just above the elbow joint. It passed through and was SOAKED in blood. The second arrow I believe hit the shoulder blade and/or leg bone. I watched the deer run off with the fletching and back 8" of the arrow visibly sticking out its side. It was a little far forward and maybe a little high, but still not a terrible shot. What really turned me off was that I KNOW that both shots would have been nearly instantly fatal with my ML, and that I had never lost a deer until that time, then I lost two in a row in as many days. The only reason I'm considering trying again is because of the guys at work. Not only do they have decades of bowhunting experience between them, they are also much better than I at tracking deer than I am. To be honest, I've only tracked one gun shot deer more than 25 yards, and that time was a ML shot deer with a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow.

My jury is still out on bowhunting (for me that is, I don't have anything against bowhunting per se, I just can't seem to pull it off myself). Maybe later this year or next year I'll take it up again. It was a heck of a lot of fun, until I couldn't find the deer I shot, then it was a real bummer.

Mike

Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

driftrider- I know what you're saying, it is a real bummer and can cause sleepless nights, thats for sure.. But like Ben said, come back. If some one tells you they've never lost a deer while bowhunting, they either haven't been bowhuntingvery long, or they are a liar. It happens, but you learn from it. I lost my first deer with a bow this past fall, and I beat myself up about it for a good while. Get back out and try again, you won't regret it.

O yea, Slick Trick Magnums are a tough, SHARP, nice flying BH
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Well thanks for all of the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I was thinking of using the Grizztricks out of my '08 Guardian this upcoming fall, but may try the magnums, not sure yet. Thanks again.