HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunting research paper (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/293004-hunting-research-paper.html)

KansasBBD 04-29-2009 08:17 AM

Hunting research paper

I am doing a research paper on hunting and i was wondering if any of you guys and gals had any good websites that shows the benefits of hunting. im having a little trouble finding legit webistes. Thanks alot in advance!

bemidjihunter 04-29-2009 11:22 AM

RE: Hunting research paper

Pretty broad catagory. What type of benefits? Economic? Resource Management? Try to narrow it down a little and do a google search, then under the "more" tab select "scholar". That'll give you some legitimate resources. Once you do narrow it down, shoot me a PM. I'm working on a degree in Wildlife Management and have had to write a ton of papers on issues like this. Good luck!

Lady Forge 04-29-2009 03:58 PM

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a Bowhunt I participate in every year at Robert Allerton Park owned by the University Of Illinois
follow the link below it will give you a little bit of info
http://www.allerton.uiuc.edu/deer.html
I have actual Hunt data spreadsheets on my home computer but cant access them at the moment if you would like I can send copies to you later
hope this will help you some.

chrowski 04-30-2009 11:13 AM

In some majors your ability to find scholarly sources will greatly reflect your ability to perform on the job. Finding credible sources is costly and time consuming at the least, but in the end will make your research more legitimate and creditworthy. I suggest you keep hobbies as hobbies, but in the event you 'must' write about hunting you must also consider whom you are asking for help. Most of the articles you'll receive via hunting.net members will incredibly biased, because people enjoy getting informed by their slant of the topic. Example: politically based radio shows.

So, now that we've got that out of the way...research takes time. The more time you put in, the more informed you'll be about your topic. Therefore if you are a bio major you should write about something bio related even if this paper is for english class. If you put in serious time, you could get published in journals, if not scholarly journals. This is a serious resume booster. Don't ask your fellow hobbyists to help you out in a subject we're all obviously biased in favor of, pick something where your exposure is maximal, yet pure. Your college career will thank you for it.

And if this is all for high school......go nuts on whatever illegitimate sources you can find....don't forget to give credit to your sources where it's due!!

PS~don't rip appart my grammar for I'm not an english major...anyone on this website who'd like to talk about economics is more than welcome to pick this fight ;).

JNTURK 04-30-2009 07:02 PM

I agree with Chrowski about "crediable sources" however i don't think you are going to find "hunting" articles in credible journals...just aint going to happen....you will have to find topics you want to discuss with examples and information from hunting sites or magazines then look for something related to that to support your thesis in peer reviewed journals.

for example...i did a research paper on turkey gobble patterns during matting season...i was able to find crediable sources to explain what a turkey is, why they gobble, the terrain they live in, populations, matting etc...all in Credible sources!!... then i went out did my own research counting gobbles and looking at various factors that i thought caused gobbles....so althouth it is not exactly hunting related...it is in a way...just an example for you....good luck!

ps- getting your article or any article for that matter published is NO easy task and unless you are someone way, way smarter then me and have a professor assist you through the whole process it is not likely...just have fun with your paper and make it meaningful.....something you really are interested in and want to know the answer to.