Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you file a Hunting 'Flight Plan'? >

Do you file a Hunting 'Flight Plan'?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you file a Hunting 'Flight Plan'?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you file a Hunting 'Flight Plan'?

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

JNTURK-
I have hunted Humboldt County and I believe the techniques for staying found even more impotant in the West. Most of my hunting is eastern whitetail but even the crowded eastern whitetail woods can make a difficult search if you are not sure where to start!
I agree 100%. The theory of staying put and waiting for a rescue is key if where you are is a place that can withstand survival for a few days. The hunter that I speak of made a shelter about 3 miles from his vehicle and when the party found it 3 days in he was not there and no where to be found...if he had of stayed there...who knows?

Humboldt county is a big and potentially dangerous place if your back in the hills backpacking in many many miles...knowing what to do if you get lost or injured would be key to potential survival assuming someone knows where abouts you are at.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good post and should be a reminder to all of us to let someone know where you are going. There was a guy here that had been drinking a few years back and bumped his head. He went to the OR and wouldn't let them admit him. So he took off to his camp with a few bottles of booze with him. He took a wrong turn on a dead end road and became stuck. Then he went walking and became lost and disorienated. A large grid search was done for about 2 weeks as he was a state trooper from another state. He was not found until late in deer season. A friend of mine found him and stated it was more than anyone would ever come across. He got lost in early summer and was planning on painting his camp.
So it's a good idea to let someone know where you are headed in any event when going out in the great outdoors. Whether fishing, hiking, hunting, or whatever your enjoyment is. I normally say whereI am heading as well as which wayIam traveling to get there. As up here I do not always make it to my destination due to the fact it's a long ways to be heading and you should of seen that big buck that stepped out in front of me.. That can change my plan without notice so the direction of travel for me is important as well. With all those back woods roads it gives someone a direction to start in if something did happen..
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be a good idea to let someone know your exact location!

Trouble with me is I rarely know until I get there. I do always have my cell phone on me.

A few years back my Brother in Law took a bad fall and was busted up real Bad. Because no one knew exactly where he had been hunting, it took several hours to find him. With a cell phone the search time would have been shortened greatly, and saved him hours of suffering.

Dan