Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wolf Update

Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf Update

I am praying too for the best outcome. Though some areas that I know of seem to be doing fairly well with the presense of the wolves. I know of others where it has effected the very way of life of some. Accoding to flyovers of the Sawtooth zone in Idaho, areas that 10 years ago supported the spotting of over 1200 bulls, now are only producing only 150 bulls.

If I can remember correctly, in the Lolo zone there were 9 calves per 100 cows counted. I don't think that the 10j ruling alone will help bring back these elk herds. Fish and Game just does not have enough resources on the ground to handle this as they are strapped in this economy like the rest of us. The fee increase in which I and many supported is now stalled because of riders that some ding-a-ling attatched to the bill that authorized fee increases. Fish and Game is doing the best that they can with what they have. Approx 150 wolves were taken by the 10j ruling, but more is needed.

By stallingthe court process and welcoming a return to court by hunting organizations will only further the damage that may already be irrevesible. I say grab what management that we are authorized and go from there. If I can remember correctly, there were boundaries set during the initial recovery program. I think that north of I90, wolves were not protected. This may have had something to do with the endagered band of Caribou that lives in Idahos panhandle. If anyone can correct me on this please do so.....
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy,
You know I am with you on this one.. People don't really seem to care to much about problems when it isn't directly effecting their state....

Just let the Idaho boys take care of Idaho!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is very sad to see the direct effects of what is happening. I watched an outfitter ask the commisioners to start an immediate cutback of the elk tags in his zone. Normally tags are gradually cut back to be easier on the outfitter. This gives them a chance to make ajustments. The commisioner flat out asked the outfitter if he knew that his wallet would be getting cut. The outfitter came out and begged the commisioner to institute an immediate cut and that he did not care if it cut into his wallet. As he broke down into tears, he told the board at the hearing that his kids would never get to experience the type of life that he has always known. He asked to save what elk were left.

Idaho has a very solid plan in place. It is a plan that more than meets the prowolfers half way. I know that we are ready to take care of what we have. Who knows better about our ecosystem than those that frequent it every day.

Idaho fish and game has solid scientific proof that the wolves ARE having an impact on both the Lolo zone and the Sawtooth zone. With their efforts they have found just cause to exercise the 10j ruling. I believe that ANY step forward to manage Canus Lupus would be a good one.

Hopefully we won't lose any more bowhunting opportunity while waiting.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree that ID has a great plan put into place. Oregon took a look at ID and MT when we came up with our plan.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is about like all political debates these days. AND IT IS POLITICAL. It isn't about what's best, nor is it left up to people in the know (like small business owners and economists with the economy). It is all talking points and emotion, i.e. you just can't kill wolves period. I don't envy you guys. You are up against irrationality. They don't realize that they are their own worst enemy (these are the same people who think the U.S.is the problem while the Taliban is set to seize Pakistan and acquire nukes, and who think that growing the federal government is going to solve all our problems). Unfortunately their ilk seem to be on the rise, and they aren't scared in the least to exercise government power at the expense of anyone who disagrees with them.