Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinder help >

Rangefinder help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinder help

Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rangefinder help

Hey guys I was thinking about buying a rangefinder, and I have narrowed it down to two choices. They are the nikon archers choice and the nikon prostaff 550. Both have good reviews but the archers choice has kind of an arc thing with it like the bushnell. Any ideas on which would be best would be great. Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default RE: Rangefinder help

get the nikkon riflehunter 550, does the same as the archers choice, but can go out to 550 yards + ...... the archers choice is about the same price and cant go that far.. The ARC i found doesnt make much differnce based on treestand height its only +/- 1/2 yard .. but i spose in hilly/ mtn terrians it would make a bigger difference. so go with the riflehunter it can be used just like the archers choice, and also for long shots for rifle hunting. try planetoptics.com or opticsplanet.com something liek that got my there cheaper then any other place..
Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Leica model 900,get one like this that has a illuminated display for low light ranging,the ones with the black LED will not show up in low light.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although I prefer the Bushnell over the Nikons (I've owned both) I would definitely go for the arc.

I don't think it makes a huge difference in Bowhunting situations but you might as well have it if you are buying new.

Dan
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the prostaff 550 and it works just fine. Not much need for arc here in Florida.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

Ya get the one with arc,im eventually going to get the archers choice,since i dont gun hunt anymore.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever plan on going on a western hunt for elk or even a deer hunt here in SE Ohio where it's pretty hilly, that ARC may save you the frustration of a missed shot. If I were buying one right now, the Nikon Archer's Choice would be the rangefinder I'd buy. I have a 440 that is a great little rangefinder, the only complaint I have which is the same one MANY others had is that the 8x optics give you to small a field of view. Nikon heard those complaints, and the Nikon 550 and Archer's Choice are both 6x optics, good and clear with that extra little field of view many of us wanted.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

get the nikkon 550 . The arc isn't going to be that much different . it is a sales gimmic
Old 04-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

get the nikkon 550 . The arc isn't going to be that much different . it is a sales gimmic
If you're on a ridge shooting down at an elk 38yds from you that is really only 22yds horizontal distance, it's no longer a gimmick, it's the difference between a good hit and a high hit and a LONG blood trail. [&o]
Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would never be that much different. If we take your example and use the formula A squared + B squared = C squared we get the following
the hypotenuse being 38 yards and the base being 22 yards . that would be A squared + 484 = 1444 or reduced is A squared = 960 then take the
square root of that it is 30.98 yards. or 92.95 feet.Most people don't hunt from 92 foot ridges with a bow and with a gun it wouldn't change where you shoot
at 22 yards or 38 yards
Now if you where in a tree stand and sighted at 38 yards and being 30 feet up {which is more than most go} the actual base length would be 36.6 yards .Less than a
yard and a half. that wouldn't be enough for me to change where i sight in

Quick Reply: Rangefinder help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.