Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting directly off the string with a release >

shooting directly off the string with a release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting directly off the string with a release

Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default shooting directly off the string with a release

I was just wondering how many people shoot directly off the string instead of using a nocking loop and what are the pros and cons of each? I have shot both ways and cant make up my mind which way to go with my new bow.....just looking for some opinions
Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting directly off the string with a release

I have shot both ways, but I prefer to shoot directly off the string. The advantages of a loop are many, no serving wear, helps in keeping peep lined up, no nock pinch, etc.

I have most of mybows set up with a loop anymore, but I still set one up without every now and then.

Aproperly tied in D loop is nice but don't expect any earth shattering changes in shooting accuracy, etc. It really boils down to personal preference as both will work effeciently, but a loop has advantages that can be nice to many archers.

Dan
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

i just started shooting with the loop and it seems to be working out. ive always shot with the release to the string, but when i was using the release to the string i was going through alot of servings. the release was just wearing on the string, so there for i think a loop would be better. like i said i just switched over not to long ago.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot off the string, I have never shot with a loop. I like shooting off the string don't have to look or even think about it
when connecting release to string.I have only reserved the string once in 5 years but I do not shoot nearly as much as alot of the guys
on this site.Accuracy is good if I do my part, see no need to go to a loop.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do believe there are many advantages to shooting a D loop. However if you are one that likes to shoot off the string, you can save your serving by serving over the top of it below the rubber cushion for an inch or so.

I have done this for years and never had to reserve a string because of the release wearing it. When it starts to get tattered looking I just cut it off and reserve that 1" spot

Dan
Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The choice of release can really save the serving as well.I don't recall ever wearing serving out when using the Scott Little Mongoose.

The main advantage I like about a loop is finetuning draw length.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having just switched to shooting from the string after reading a bit about it last summer, I can honestly say I see little difference in accuracy. I'm shooting as well now as I ever have, but I've also fine-tuned things a bit more, and changed what I consider "acceptable," during the last year or so. For me, I like the loop in that I think it allows for better "nock" travel, but I cannot prove that. It just seemed that I was able to tweak set-ups quicker using a loop vs. using a nock set, but again, that may just be personal experience/preference.

One of the big reasons I resisted putting a loop on was that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to quickly attach to it in the "heat of the moment" when a deer was approaching, however I've found that it's really not much of an issue at all.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.limbsaver.com and check out their High Speed/Slow Motion video on the topic. It is really amazing how much nock slippage there is whena d-loop, or nock set is not in plays
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM

wow...that's a great video! It just convinced my buddy to tie on nock sets and string loop...ahhaha