Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings.... >

Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings....

Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

Default Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings....

Soo this weekend i decided to start my hunt for a new bow! Now im a broke college student, so this is probably the last new bow i get for a while [:@]so I wanted to make sure it counts! So heres the bows i shot and my meaningless impressions of them .

Bowtechs: The Admiral was a nice bow, as most bowtechs it had great fit and finish and was a sharp looking piece of equipment! The draw wasnt so hot though, just my preference, however that thing shot smooth as silk! Next I shot the captain, its a little big for my taste but I really liked it! I felt the draw was nicer than the admirals and the release was just as good if not better! Plus I happen to think its the best looking bow out there!!

Diamonds: The iceman was a prettty nice bow as well, shot nice, draw was okay, just overall not my ideal bow. The diamond i was most impressed with was the black ice! I loved the draw on that bow and it was pretty darn smooth! Maybe not quite as impressive at the shot as the admiral, but it just felt great in my hands overall! I also shot the stud, a pretty nice bow for the price, I'd say it was similar to the black ice, just imo not quite the same fit and smoothness!!

Ross: I was pumped to shoot the carnivore after all the great things i'd heard, but after shooting it I really wasnt all that impressed! If was a nice bow for sure, but in all honestly I felt the cardiac was smoother!! Dont get me wrong this ross's were GREAT bows! Especially for the price! I did like the cardiac a lot, but to me the carnivore was a disappointment! I know im probably the only person you'll hear say this, but what do i know, im just a broke 20 yr old

Mathews: Now ive never shot a mathews before this weekend so this was new to me! First I started with the hyperlite. Talk about a SMALL BOW! It felt like a toy in my hands! Those limbs couldnt be much more than in inchwide! But to my surprised she seemed to be a pretty nice shooting bow! Nothing special but for someone looking for the smallest bow possible this is worth shooting!! Next i shot the Reezen 6.5. Overall I liked it! The draw was aggressive, but very manageable and you could tell that thing was fast! The shorter brace height didnt bother me and i didnt really notice and difference between that and the reezen 7.0. Now here are my two complaints: First off I hated the mathews grips! just preference of course but i felt like a was shooting a 2x4! And secondly I felt the Reezen was top heavy and almost wanted to lean forward...I wasnt used to it but i could see that maybe helping stability? Either way its not my cup of tea! Lastly I shot the MONSTER! I now know why its called the monster too! The draw on that thing is beyond aggressive!! I usually shoot 71 or 72, and i shot the monster at 70 and whew was that a doozy!!! However the shot itself was as smooth and steady as ive ever felt!!! Again I hated the grip and it had a very similar feeling to the reezen, but it was definately a shooter!! and FAST!!!

Hoyts: Now ima bowtech guy...or so i thought! I do have an older hoyt magnatech, not a hugefan but it is what it is! The only hoyt Ive shot this year was the AM32. I am no longer a "bowtech guy". Of course its all about opinions and preference, but im my eyes that bow was perfect. It simply had the best draw ive ever felt! In fact i'd say I could probably draw that bow without really stressing myself at 80#s! There was really nothing about this bow that did not impress me! I couldnt put the thing down!! So as of right now this is atop my list!!

Overall my top 3 were:
1. AM32 (ahead by a long shot)
2. Black Ice
3. Reezen 6.5 (captain is a very close 4th, but a tad bit too big!)

However im waiting for the air raid and the alien x before I make up my mind So that wraps up my live story haha
Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings....

Sounds like you had a fun day. (Any day that involves shooting bows is a good one)

However im waiting for the air raid and the alien x before I make up my mind So that wraps up my live story haha
From everything I've heard, this may be the smartest thing you could do. I took the plunge and ordered one sight unseen.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

Haha well i was tempted ...but after shooting that hoyt, that air raid better be something really special
Old 04-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reviews.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 AM

I just purchased a PSE "Brute", i am pretty satisfied with the bow.The bow itself was around 400$ I got some gold tip arrows along with the bow it shoots pretty quick. The only thing bad was that the bow was making exsessive noise when i shot. I brought it in and there was a loose nut somewhere in the cam. But overall it is a good bow. But ive heard good things about matthews and hoyts.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Spike

Yeah I may give PSE a shot too, but there really arent any dealers close at all, and i know my local shop isnt too familiar with them, so i wanna stick with something a little more common in the area
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great write up. There are so many good/great bows on the market now, you really have to shoot a bunch of them to find your perfect bow. I hate the posts that ask what is the best bow, or those post that bash a bow. Take Matthews, I feel the same way you do about their grip and always have. However, some really like that big grip, so it makes for a great bow for them, they are shooters for sure. I have the AM32 and I love it, which is strange because I have always hated shorter ATA bows in the past, but this thing is just a great shooter. Good luck in your search, I am sure you find the perfect bow for you.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

Great write up. There are so many good/great bows on the market now, you really have to shoot a bunch of them to find your perfect bow. I hate the posts that ask what is the best bow, or those post that bash a bow. Take Matthews, I feel the same way you do about their grip and always have. However, some really like that big grip, so it makes for a great bow for them, they are shooters for sure. I have the AM32 and I love it, which is strange because I have always hated shorter ATA bows in the past, but this thing is just a great shooter. Good luck in your search, I am sure you find the perfect bow for you.
I agree completely! Hence the reason you have so many different bows yet many have very similar performance!! Evenmy local dealer said price isnt everything! Just because a bow costs 850 doesnt mean its anybetter than a bow that costs 600! Its all about what feels right more than anything else
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Nice report........i shoot a Ross Cr331........Awesome bow ...love it.. have nothing but great things to say about how Andy Ross produced quality bows he just lacked a good business sense. On ebay I see the Cr331 going for $299......I paid $599 when I bought it new. So if your strapped for cash check out ebay and search Ross Archery.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Spike

Im all for ebay but I like to buy bows locally Plus I'd feel horrible walking into the bow shop im at every weekend with a brand new bow that i didnt buy from them! I personally was a little disappointed but the carnivore, but i did like the cardiac a lot! Honestly it seemed like it had a nicer draw than the carnivore with the krank but thats just me

Quick Reply: Shot some bows this weekend! My feelings....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.