Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moving from the Midwest to the far West. >

Moving from the Midwest to the far West.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moving from the Midwest to the far West.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Moving from the Midwest to the far West.

I live here in Wis, where I was born and raised around hunting. I love it. But this summer my family is moving to California (LA area). I was wondering does anyone have or know any kind of ARCHERY hunting I can do there? I am so bummed I wont be able to hunt these giant whitetails anymore. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moving from the Midwest to the far West.

First, that really sucks. I left the midwest one time, spent a year and VA and came running back! Second, I have never been to CA, but understand that there are several species in CA for you chase with your bow.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Know how you feel. Made the move from IN to AZ almost 2 years ago. As far as bowhunting out West goes, don't expect to fill your tag unless you work your a$$ off, and dedicate yourself 100% to the season. It is a different ballgame, and the rewards (so I've heard, haven't converted yet) are worth all the extra effort. Be prepared to hike long distances, and spend countless hours glassing hills and mountains that will give you no looks at deer (for the most part). The breathtaking views make the trips worthwhile though. Put it this way, I will be looking forward to the first week of October, for that is when I fly back to the Midwest, and SIT in a treestand!!!! Good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks to hear man..If remember correctly, there isan HNI member that bow hunts hogs in southern california. Can't remember his screen name.
I like to travel, but nothing in this world couldtake meout of the forest and farmland of the midwest as far as living goes. If I amsubjected to a"concrete jungle" for long periods of time, my whole mood changes and I become irritable.Don't get too discouraged though, I'm sure you will find opportunities to bowhunt. There is a lot of rugged land and mountains in southern california, outside the bigcities
Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just sitting here wondering "WHY THE HELL.....would you do that to yourself!?!?!?!"
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

How old are you ?? I'd stay home if you can do it on your own. I've been to LA twice on vacation, it ain't no place for someone who likes to hunt in my opinion. Weather is nice, that's about it. Fun to visit, but wouldn't live there for anything. William Faulkner called it "the plastic a$$hole of the world." He's pretty much correct!

ORIGINAL: monster6

I live here in Wis, where I was born and raised around hunting. I love it. But this summer my family is moving to California (LA area). I was wondering does anyone have or know any kind of ARCHERY hunting I can do there? I am so bummed I wont be able to hunt these giant whitetails anymore. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Just living in a big city is a change of pace. I miss walking out the back door and there is the woods. I moved from the Midwest to South Carolina, can't find any land to hunt. You have to pay to hunt here. Miss the good ol public land and farms in Missouri.

But the weather down here is beautiful.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 7danny

Just living in a big city is a change of pace. I miss walking out the back door and there is the woods. I moved from the Midwest to South Carolina, can't find any land to hunt. You have to pay to hunt here. Miss the good ol public land and farms in Missouri.

But the weather down here is beautiful.
No doubt that there are more and bigger areas to hunt in MO but there are some quality WMA's here in SC. My buddy killed a 145" opening day of the 2007 gun season on a WMA in Lee county.

As far as the thread is concerned...is there any way out of moving to CA? Nothing against the people that live there but I would/could NEVER move out there. Not my kind of people.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best of luck to you Monster6. Try your best man and if you are having trouble finding places to hunt you might try an out of state do it yourself hunt in New Mexico or Texas. Again, sorry about the move but I am sure you will adapy and find a great appreciation for some other game animals.